Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Older Software > Digital Scrapbook Artist

Notices

Digital Scrapbook Artist Digital Scrapbooking Software

Old 21st July 2013, 02:07 AM   #1
djtn

djtn is on a distinguished road
Default Can't Install DSA2 - Help Please!

2013/07/20
Hi There,

I need some help please.

I started having some problems loading DSA2 and I don't know why. I would click on the name of a scrapbook file and I would get a failure message. (...Please send this information to MicroSoft ...) Or I click on the DSA2 icon with the same result.

I ran CCleaner and Registry Mechanic and tried again with the same result.

I ran DSA2 with the CTRL key down with the same result.

I went into Control Panel and did a repair of DSA2 and tried DSA2 again, with the same result.

I don't know how many times I went around and around these steps to try and fix my problem.

Finally I uninstalled DSA2 and tried a re-install. Before it finishes, it says it is rolling back because of an error and that the install has ended prematurely because of an error and no actual change has been done to my system.

I thought it might be because my free space is getting low on my C:\ drive, but I've been trying to make some room.

I have Windows XP SP3 and up until recently DSA2 has worked beautifully. CA2 is still working fine on the same computer.

My Control Panel (Add/Remove Programs) is stuffed with individual kits for DSA2 and CA2. I've gone into Control Panel in order to uninstall programs because I was afraid that my old clunker of a computer might be complaining that there are way too many entries for DT kits.

Thanks, David
Old 21st July 2013, 12:07 PM   #2
Meg

Meg has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Can't Install DSA2 - Help Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtn View Post
2013/07/20
Hi There,

I need some help please.

I started having some problems loading DSA2 and I don't know why. I would click on the name of a scrapbook file and I would get a failure message. (...Please send this information to MicroSoft ...) Or I click on the DSA2 icon with the same result.

I ran CCleaner and Registry Mechanic and tried again with the same result.

I ran DSA2 with the CTRL key down with the same result.

I went into Control Panel and did a repair of DSA2 and tried DSA2 again, with the same result.

I don't know how many times I went around and around these steps to try and fix my problem.

Finally I uninstalled DSA2 and tried a re-install. Before it finishes, it says it is rolling back because of an error and that the install has ended prematurely because of an error and no actual change has been done to my system.

I thought it might be because my free space is getting low on my C:\ drive, but I've been trying to make some room.

I have Windows XP SP3 and up until recently DSA2 has worked beautifully. CA2 is still working fine on the same computer.

My Control Panel (Add/Remove Programs) is stuffed with individual kits for DSA2 and CA2. I've gone into Control Panel in order to uninstall programs because I was afraid that my old clunker of a computer might be complaining that there are way too many entries for DT kits.

Thanks, David
I usually found that any error was with the file I tried to open (maybe too big) and then I would open the program first, as if I were going to create a new project and THEN open the file I wanted.
Old 21st July 2013, 12:18 PM   #3
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Hi David,

Quote:
It sounds as though the uninstallation may have been incomplete; maybe CCleaner and/or Registry Mechanic messed things up somehow. Do you have Revo Uninstaller? It's very good at removing things like registry entries which might otherwise be left behind, but I don't know whether it would help if you've already uninstalled the program and cannot reinstall it.

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 21st July 2013, 07:30 PM   #4
djtn

2013/07/21
Hi Meg,

Thank you for your reply.

One of the things I also tried several times was to click on the DSA2 icon on the desktop (meaning starting the program with no filename), as you suggested, and I got the same error.

One of the problems that I am chasing down is a process that uses 98% of CPU time called "svchost.exe" that happens in XP SP3. All of a sudden this started to be a problem, so much so that I thought I caught a virus (I still may have a virus although my anti-virus software is up-to-date.) This is the only thing that is new on my computer (the slow-down caused by svchost.exe) PLUS the inordinately high amount of files in my Add/Remove Programs (under Control Panel) which are Daisy Trail/Serif DigiKits for DSA2 and CA2. The last thing I added to my computer were a few more DSA2 DigiKits and DSA2 just stopped working and I got this error described above.

Thanks, David
Old 21st July 2013, 07:46 PM   #5
djtn

2013/07/21
Hi Alfred,

Thank you for your reply to my issue.

I don't have Revo Uninstaller, but I do have a Norton Uninstaller which basically bludgeons the program you want to remove right off the disk. I could try that. I've been toying with that idea, but I have stopped short of using it because I have so many cards and files that I've made using DSA2 that I don't want to jeopardize.

I could also look into getting Revo Uninstaller if you would suggest I pursue that.

I have never known CCleaner to remove something that it shouldn't have. Also, I have Registry Mechanic set to make a Restore Point before it makes any Registry changes, so I could try to go back a ways to see if the system runs any better, but I don't know if I could go back far enough now. I am constantly running CCleaner and Registry Mechanic as well as system level disk check on my C:\ drive to get the slightest improvements on my system because it is so heavily bogged down. I think by the two items I wrote in my reply to Meg: the "Svchost.exe" issue of XP SP3 and also the Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Exorbitant number of files individually listed that are DT/Serif DigiKit files.

Thanks, David
Old 22nd July 2013, 01:48 PM   #6
Meg

Quote:
2013/07/21
Hi Meg,

One of the things I also tried several times was to click on the DSA2 icon on the desktop (meaning starting the program with no filename), as you suggested, and I got the same error.

One of the problems that I am chasing down is a process that uses 98% of CPU time called "svchost.exe" that happens in XP SP3. All of a sudden this started to be a problem, so much so that I thought I caught a virus (I still may have a virus although my anti-virus software is up-to-date.) This is the only thing that is new on my computer (the slow-down caused by svchost.exe) PLUS the inordinately high amount of files in my Add/Remove Programs (under Control Panel) which are Daisy Trail/Serif DigiKits for DSA2 and CA2. The last thing I added to my computer were a few more DSA2 DigiKits and DSA2 just stopped working and I got this error described above.

Thanks, David
As far as I know SVChost.exe is a genuine windows file, produced by Microsoft. I put the file name into the start button on my Windows 7 computer and then hovered over the file title and it came up with a description of it. I have not used Windows XP for about 2 or 3 years now, so have forgotten if it operates the same way. Most of the uninstallers remove the program but do not remove the data, that is any data you created (such as cards, flyers, etc) are NOT AFFECTED. If you are worried, you could move your files to an external hard drive while you uninstall the program or clean your machine. I have had good use from dropbox. This is a cloud backup service. You keep the files on your computer in a "drop box" folder. These are then backed up into the ether. you can access these from another computer. Whatever changes are made to your computer files (EXCEPT changes you make in the dropbox folder itself) you still have your dropbox copies. You can get about 2Gb of storage free if you are just starting out and can pay for more on top of that.

You may also have some free storage options available from your ISP. Back up your files and then there is less worry about cleaning or uninstalling programs acting badly.
Old 22nd July 2013, 03:47 PM   #7
djtn

2013/07/22
Hi Meg,

Regarding svchost.exe - I think I first have to determine if a virus got into my computer under the guise of a genuine Microsoft program. In this particular case, I don't think that is what happened though, but I need to rule that out.

I think what has happened is that I probably have some services that I don't really need that are running to the exclusion of other services that I do need. At least this seems to be the consensus of what I've seen on the Internet in my research. I just have to narrow down which services are going haywire and make sure that they are not needed and then stop them from running piggy-backed on svchost.exe. One of the Process ID's that take 98% of the CPU resources has about 20 services attached to that Process ID - so that is a lot to weed out.

This still doesn't explain why DSA2 won't start up though, but if I have a clear running environment for the programs, it's got to help. Although I keep thinking that CA2 is working. Although sometimes CA2 won't start either and I have to kill the process in Task Manager and start it again. This happened with DSA2 as well, and now it's dead. I use CA2 and DSA2 more than any other programs on my computer.

David
Old 22nd July 2013, 07:01 PM   #8
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
I just have to narrow down which services are going haywire and make sure that they are not needed and then stop them from running piggy-backed on svchost.exe. One of the Process ID's that take 98% of the CPU resources has about 20 services attached to that Process ID - so that is a lot to weed out.
I wonder whether Process Explorer would help or hinder the ... er ... process.

Alfred
Old 22nd July 2013, 11:15 PM   #9
Meg

Quote:
2013/07/22

I think what has happened is that I probably have some services that I don't really need that are running to the exclusion of other services that I do need. At least this seems to be the consensus of what I've seen on the Internet in my research. I just have to narrow down which services are going haywire and make sure that they are not needed and then stop them from running piggy-backed on svchost.exe.

David
It sounds complicated!

Hope it works out for you. Let us know how you get on.
Old 22nd July 2013, 11:36 PM   #10
AlfredP
Guru

Quote:
I just have to narrow down which services are going haywire and make sure that they are not needed
You could try disabling unnecessary services via the System Configuration utility. Hold down the Windows key (the one with the Windows logo, to the left of the space bar) and press the 'R' key to bring up the Run dialog. Type msconfig into the box and click on the OK' button (or press the Enter key).

In the System Configuration dialog, go to the Services tab and put a tick in the 'Hide all Microsoft services' checkbox. If you click on the 'Disable all' button, you will be choosing to disable all services except for the hidden Microsoft ones, and you can then work through them to find out which ones can be safely re-enabled.

Alfred
Old 23rd July 2013, 06:16 PM   #11
djtn

2013/07/23
Hi Alfred and Meg,

Thank you BOTH for your very valuable and very helpful suggestions.

BUT, as I was reading them, I got another thought and I would like your opinion about this as an option please.

While researching this SVCHOST.EXE issue, I read that it was a SP3 issue ONLY. What if I roll back Service Pack 3???

That might be the quickest and easiest solution! Then if the problem goes away (as far as services taking up 98% of the CPU resources) then I can concentrate on DSA2 and not worry about Windows XP. DSA2 is my main concern. Especially since support for Windows XP is going away in 2014 anyway.

If rolling back SP3 stops the runaway CPU resources, then I will probably just limp along with SP2 because I don't know what benefit I derived from SP3 anyway. Maybe I'll miss it, maybe I won't. But the slowdown on my old PC certainly wasn't worth any benefit that I can see with SP3.

Any advice on this suggestion please?

Thanks for your great suggestions thus far. If I do the rollback (and find out that SP3 WAS the culprit) and then decide to go back to SP3, I can implement your suggestions to this point knowing that I will indeed narrow down the offending process. So it seems a win-win all around to me. What say you both?

Thanks, David
Old 23rd July 2013, 07:33 PM   #12
Meg

Quote:
2013/07/23
Hi Alfred and Meg,

Thank you BOTH for your very valuable and very helpful suggestions.

BUT, as I was reading them, I got another thought and I would like your opinion about this as an option please.

While researching this SVCHOST.EXE issue, I read that it was a SP3 issue ONLY. What if I roll back Service Pack 3???

That might be the quickest and easiest solution! Then if the problem goes away (as far as services taking up 98% of the CPU resources) then I can concentrate on DSA2 and not worry about Windows XP. DSA2 is my main concern. Especially since support for Windows XP is going away in 2014 anyway.

If rolling back SP3 stops the runaway CPU resources, then I will probably just limp along with SP2 because I don't know what benefit I derived from SP3 anyway. Maybe I'll miss it, maybe I won't. But the slowdown on my old PC certainly wasn't worth any benefit that I can see with SP3.

Any advice on this suggestion please?

Thanks for your great suggestions thus far. If I do the rollback (and find out that SP3 WAS the culprit) and then decide to go back to SP3, I can implement your suggestions to this point knowing that I will indeed narrow down the offending process. So it seems a win-win all around to me. What say you both?

Thanks, David
Sorry, my technical knowledge wouldn't extend to advising either for or against this.
Old 26th July 2013, 04:16 PM   #13
djtn

2013/07/26
Hi Meg,

I went ahead and tried to uninstall Service Pack 3 (which was under Add/Remove Programs and NOT under Add/Remove Windows Components) only to find that I get a message that says it couldn't find a file (but it doesn't tell me which file) and so the uninstall was not complete and that it couldn't remove SP3! VERY suspicious behavior - even for Micr$oft!

This told me that it is probably malware/virus that sneaked in under the guise of a system program. This particular type of virus bit me once before and it's very difficult to get rid of, if you ever get rid of it entirely.

I updated my BitDefender anti-virus program and ran a full scan - nothing. That took hours so I updated it again and ran a deep scan - nothing. That took hours and I updated it again and then the scheduled run of the full scan started at 1am shortly after that update with no infected files found. I don't know whether to trust these results and say there is no virus given that I couldn't uninstall SP3 and just chalk the 100% CPU resource usage up to a quirk of SP3 or not. I just don't understand why this has started all of a sudden. I also don't understand why the loading of DSA2 was blocked all of a sudden and why re-installing DSA2 is not working.

I guess I'm stuck here at this point because I don't know where to go to from here. At least CA2 is working on my HP.

If I ever get another, faster, newer computer, I will keep it entirely off the Internet (except if I have to register software) and hopefully it will keep it virus free. This of course precludes the possibility of spreading a virus by introducing new files from another computer that are already infected.

Thanks, David
Old 26th July 2013, 04:39 PM   #14
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
2013/07/26
Hi Meg,

I went ahead and tried to uninstall Service Pack 3 (which was under Add/Remove Programs and NOT under Add/Remove Windows Components) only to find that I get a message that says it couldn't find a file (but it doesn't tell me which file) and so the uninstall was not complete and that it couldn't remove SP3! VERY suspicious behavior - even for Micr$oft!

This told me that it is probably malware/virus that sneaked in under the guise of a system program. This particular type of virus bit me once before and it's very difficult to get rid of, if you ever get rid of it entirely.

I updated my BitDefender anti-virus program and ran a full scan - nothing. That took hours so I updated it again and ran a deep scan - nothing. That took hours and I updated it again and then the scheduled run of the full scan started at 1am shortly after that update with no infected files found. I don't know whether to trust these results and say there is no virus given that I couldn't uninstall SP3 and just chalk the 100% CPU resource usage up to a quirk of SP3 or not. I just don't understand why this has started all of a sudden. I also don't understand why the loading of DSA2 was blocked all of a sudden and why re-installing DSA2 is not working.

I guess I'm stuck here at this point because I don't know where to go to from here. At least CA2 is working on my HP.

If I ever get another, faster, newer computer, I will keep it entirely off the Internet (except if I have to register software) and hopefully it will keep it virus free. This of course precludes the possibility of spreading a virus by introducing new files from another computer that are already infected.

Thanks, David
David

Download, install and run malwarebytes.org Maybe it will find something
Old 26th July 2013, 11:06 PM   #15
alspar

alspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
2013/07/26
Hi Meg,

Thanks, David
Hi David

I strongly advise against even trying to remove SP3 from Windows XP - much of recent software actually requires it - including recent versions of Serif software.

Install and run MalwareBytes Free - full scan.

After restarting the computer run Windows Update and continue to run it repeatedly until there are no more updates - pay particular attention to some important and other updates which are not set to download automatically.

After all that you may still have to run a repair of your Windows Installation.

Download and run the free Belarc Advisor which will scan and report on everything to do with your computer - without sending anything to the internet.
Old 27th July 2013, 12:23 AM   #16
djtn

2013/07/26
Hi Mjh and Alan,

Thank you so much for your input.

I can't run MalwareBytes with BitDefender anti-virus. What a problem I had with that and it took several calls to BitDefender Tech Support to narrow that down.

Previously, I've uninstalled BitDefender in order to run MalwareBytes and then uninstalled Malware Bytes and re-installed BitDefender - but it's just too much work for me right now. I think I'd toss the computer first, at this point!

Alan - thank you for telling me about Belarc Advisor. I think at this point, since I've already tried to uninstall SP3, I will try re-installing SP3 and hopefully that will be enough. Then I'll do the updates and then run the Belarc Advisor.

If I had a brain in my head and money in my wallet, I'd switch to an Apple computer.

Thanks again to you both, David
Old 27th July 2013, 12:26 AM   #17
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
2013/07/26
Hi Mjh and Alan,

Thank you so much for your input.

I can't run MalwareBytes with BitDefender anti-virus. What a problem I had with that and it took several calls to BitDefender Tech Support to narrow that down.

Previously, I've uninstalled BitDefender in order to run MalwareBytes and then uninstalled Malware Bytes and re-installed BitDefender - but it's just too much work for me right now. I think I'd toss the computer first, at this point!

Alan - thank you for telling me about Belarc Advisor. I think at this point, since I've already tried to uninstall SP3, I will try re-installing SP3 and hopefully that will be enough. Then I'll do the updates and then run the Belarc Advisor.

If I had a brain in my head and money in my wallet, I'd switch to an Apple computer.

Thanks again to you both, David

Hiya again David

See if you can run hijackthis. Don't do anything other than generate the report. Reading the output may provide a clue.

I also like Belarc and install it on every system I work on, do an analysis and keep it as a benchmark. I'm doing that on two systems I'm configuring now. Great tool and the price is right
Old 27th July 2013, 12:27 AM   #18
AlfredP
Guru

Quote:
If you switched to an Apple computer, you wouldn't be able to run DSA2 or CA2 without installing Windows....

Alfred
Old 27th July 2013, 06:24 PM   #19
djtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredP View Post
If you switched to an Apple computer, you wouldn't be able to run DSA2 or CA2 without installing Windows....

Alfred
2013/07/27
Hi Alfred,

I thought to run a Win-doze program on an Apple computer, you ran a Windows emulator - not Windows itself?

Or is the Windows emulator a sort of "pop-up" box that allows a Windows OS to run in order for a Windows program to run in an actual Windows environment on an Apple computer?

If it is the case where the actual Windows OS is running in an Apple environment, I would tend to say that is less desirable, being more expensive, because Micro$oft has to get it's "piece of the pie." However, I have heard from a few people how large Windows applications run better under a Windows emulator on an Apple computer then they do on a Windows computer.

Something for me to ponder.

Thanks, David
Old 27th July 2013, 06:27 PM   #20
djtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh View Post
Hiya again David

See if you can run hijackthis. Don't do anything other than generate the report. Reading the output may provide a clue.

I also like Belarc and install it on every system I work on, do an analysis and keep it as a benchmark. I'm doing that on two systems I'm configuring now. Great tool and the price is right
2013/07/27
Hi Mjh,

I'm pretty sure I have "HijackThis" on my computer. I will have to look into this and run it and generate the report.

Thank you for your reply and your advice.

David