Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Photos and Movies > CraftArtist

Notices

CraftArtist Questions about using CraftArtist for digital crafting

Old 19th May 2013, 11:38 PM   #1
kekkmom

kekkmom is on a distinguished road
Default HELP!!!! Professional Printing Questions

Hi!

I have made many personal files on CraftArtist 2, but now I have volunteered to create a 36 page sports team brochure/booklet, and feeling a bit daunted with terms like bleed that I have not had to deal with. I am leaving a .5 inch white margin on every page for that reason, but do I still need to worry about setting/having a bleed? It will be a US letter 8.5 x 11 finished size brochure, but printed on 11 x 17 paper.

I plan to create a PDF to give to the professional printer via File/Export/Export as a PDF...but I have NO IDEA on what settings to select once there in General/Prepress/Compression and Advanced(don't need Security.)Any suggestions??? For example, are fonts usually embedded for something sent to a professional printer, and what about flattening or ?

I am actually making two brochures of the same thing - one in color and one in black and white to save on printing costs. Is there a way to print the color one in black and white so I don't create two different files of the same content? How do I do that? The black and white one still needs to be a high resolution end-product, and I am not sure the Grayscale option under Color Management is recommended?

And in PhotoLab, what is the difference between Favorites/Lighting/Black and White and Adjustments/ProEdit/Black and White Film when changing color photos to black and white for professional printing.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 20th May 2013, 05:35 PM   #2
MikeW

MikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant future
Default Re: HELP!!!! Professional Printing Questions

OK. A couple options.

Set your page size at 8.5" x 11". Your bleed will be added using the Export as PDF option and use the PDFX-1a preset. The bleed amount is typically .125" in the USA. That means for backgrounds that bleed off the page, you need to just make sure they extend off the page enough for trim (which will happen at the crop marks automatically added during the PDFX-1a default preset). Because one cannot see what extends off the page as in say PagePlus, you need to rely on the Transform panel to make sure of the bleed element(s) that you need.

If you do not have elements that bleed off the page (like a background or other design elements), make certain to leave a little room at the page edges to account for trimming variance. This is called the Live Area. I typically leave any elements of a design that do not bleed no closer than .125" to a page edge.

As long as fonts have the proper permissions, they will be included in the PDF. Most all fonts these days allow for embedding into a PDF. But always check the PDF once you make it.

As for a black and white version--I believe you mean a gray-scale version--you do not need to make a special version. Make your design in color. When you need to generate the gray-scale version, on the Advanced Tab of the Export to PDF dialog, there is a drop down for "Output color space" in the Color Management section. Set it to "Grayscale." The PDF will be a gray-scale version of the color one.

Mike
Old 20th May 2013, 05:47 PM   #3
MikeW

MikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant future

BTW, having bleed set up in CA's page size would be beneficial (actually, necessary) for commercial work.

But I just discovered a work-around. You can set up negative page margins. This might make it easier to snap bleed elements to a more precise measurement.

The caveat to this is if you revisit the page set up dialog, the negative margins revert to zero and so need reentered.

Mike

I would upload screen shots...but have exceeded my quota and need to delete a bunch of attachments...
Old 20th May 2013, 08:27 PM   #4
kekkmom

Thanks so much, MikeW! For my first attempt at a brochure, I am going to try to make it as fool-proof for myself as possible.

1. So if I understand correctly, if I plan to leave a .5inch white/blank margin on all four sides, this would be overkill (since .125 is enough?)
2. Next month I am creating a different brochure for their tournament program and would like to use your suggestions for bleed. I would be interested in learning more about the negative margins.
3. Is the Grayscale output 'good enough' for professional printing resolution? And I have been told to learn/use InDesign but prefer to do it in CraftArtist2 since I am familiar with it - but will the end-product suffer?

Thanks so much!
Old 20th May 2013, 08:41 PM   #5
MikeW

kekkmom,

You are most welcome.

#1 yes, 1/2" (even a 1/4" all round) is too much bleed. Usually will result in higher charges as a printer needs to use a larger sheet to print to.
#2 I haven't gotten around to deleting attachments so I can post them. If I don't get to it soon I will post on my web site and provide a link. But it is easy to try. Just start a new Custom size file, type in -.125 in each of the 4 margin fields. Any bleed object then snaps to the margins even though you cannot see the parts extending off the page.

This can also be done using the transform palette for your background or other design elements. But snapping to these negative margins seems a good method.

#3 yes, the gray-scale will result in a professional output.

Personally, I wouldn't use InDesign for this. I would use CA2 to design the pages, but layout in PagePlus. PP is so much easier to use than ID (which I also use daily). In fact, any work I can avoid using ID for makes for faster work. But CA2 will do this just fine.

Just be sure to check the PDF. And it is easy enough to make a quickie CA2 document, output to PDFX-1a and see the result in Reader (or Acrobat if you have it). You should see the crop marks (unless you uncheck them in the Prepress tab--so don't uncheck them). First-hand experience in what happens when you Export to PDF is better than taking my word for it. And much better to do so before you actually are trying to give the printer the PDF so you can be more confident.

Take care, Mike
Old 20th May 2013, 08:52 PM   #6
kekkmom

Thanks again!!! My brochure will be digitally printed, not off-set at the professional printer. I am imagining a printer with 11x17 paper - or do they actually use bigger paper and trim it? If I have the white margin on my page already, do I need to add a bleed when I create the PDF?

Thank you! Sorry for the newbie questions - I imagine I will have more as well
Old 20th May 2013, 10:08 PM   #7
MikeW

No worries about questions.

The technology of the printing process doesn't matter (offset versus digital). One just needs to communicate with the printer as to what they require. In either case the files are prepared identically and output to PDF identically.

Various print vendors do sometimes have differing specifications (type of PDF, bleed amounts, color space). And so depending on who is printing the brochure, either you need to contact them about their particular specifications or find that information on their web site.

OK. As to bleed and white space. If your design does not bleed at all, there is no need to account for bleed in any of the above methods. At that point, what matters is the "Live Area" and to keep the design elements within that live area. But you would still use crop marks (assuming the printer requires them on non-bleed work).

So the point is to always design with the output intention and the printer's specification in mind.

May I ask who is doing the printing?

Mike
Old 20th May 2013, 10:25 PM   #8
kekkmom

Thanks! I have never done crop marks before. How do I do that?

And I just went to learn more about PagePlus - wow! Looks great and doable for me! Why do you prefer PP over InDesign?

As far as our printer, my committee is still getting quotes, but I only have two weeks to make this, so I need to start designing now!!!

When I make a PDF in CraftArtist2, do you have recs on these settings or would you go with the defaults only? I don't know what to select.

1. General
Print Range - I will choose Publication
Compatability - I will choose PDF/X-1a
Options: Impose pages? Include non-printing layers?
When opened: Fit to complete page? Fit to page width? Show non-visible layers(default)?
Optimize for Fast Web View?
Preview PDF file?
Show Warnings(default)?

2. Prepress
Page Marks: File Information(default)? Crop marks? Registration targets? Densitometer bar? Color Calibration bar?
Registration Style: Pie Target?
Bleed?
Overprint Control: Set overprint for black text(default)? Set overprint for black graphics(default)?

3. Compression:
Color Images - Downsample Image 300, Compression Zip, Quality High
Grayscale Images - Downsample Image 300, Compression Zip, Quality High
Monochrome Images - Downsample Image 600, Compression CCITT

4. Advanced
Fonts: Subset fonts under 99% of font?
Transparency: Use 8-bit alpha channel/Flatten and mask/Flatten and strip and strip size/Flatten only - and Transparent area DPI 300 - which option?
Color Management - Grayscale (since I want a b&w version)
Retain spot colors?
Transform colors to output intent?
Include color profiles?
Render complex files as bitmaps/Render entire page as bitmap?

Any suggestions are much appreciated!
Old 21st May 2013, 05:48 AM   #9
Meg

Meg has a spectacular aura about

I used to do a community newsletter for the local area using PagePlus some years ago. I didn't even know enough about it to ask the questions you have asked above, yet the professional printer was able to take the PDF that PagePlus produced and provide a very professional looking newsletter with it.
Old 21st May 2013, 11:00 AM   #10
kekkmom

Thank you! What features do you like in PagePlus? What would you recommend a newbie to make sure to try?
Old 21st May 2013, 11:04 AM   #11
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kekkmom View Post
Thank you! What features do you like in PagePlus? What would you recommend a newbie to make sure to try?
It really depends on what your intended use of the software is. Will you be producing books, brochures, newsletters, magazines, menus, mail-merged materials - what?

Old 21st May 2013, 11:10 AM   #12
kekkmom

I will be making a brochure for a sports team with ads - so will have some newsletter type pages, some yearbook type pages, and some ads.
Old 21st May 2013, 12:17 PM   #13
Meg

Quote:
I loved the way PagePlus could insert columns, 2, 3 or 4, etc, with gutters between them, so you got well separated columns. (With experience, I found 3 columns worked best for me).

It also does a great job at wrapping text around photos. If you do a search for "Whitehead Community newsletter", you may find some old copies online (and I do mean OLD!) One example is at http://www.angelfire.com/hi4/Whitehe...cnjun08web.pdf I was horrified at a couple of typos I spotted right away (as you do ), then relieved to see that it wasn't on my watch!

I use CA2 a lot these days, because I am no longer producing a newsletter and I can see some changes I would make in that old newsletter if I were doing it again now (as well as correcting the typos!). But I would still do it in PagePlus, rather than Craft Artist, which I have used for producing posters, though PagePlus is also good at that.

Mind you, I use PP for producing a family newsletter once a year but create that on A3 and print it myself double-sided(about 12 copies) and post out to family. Before I had an A3 printer, I was still able to produce A3 newsletters in PDF for the printer to print out. It cost less, because they folded them. It is also handy to create your newsletter in multiples of 4 pages, so 4, 8, 12, etc as this means the printer makes more economical use of their paper.

Last edited by Meg; 21st May 2013 at 12:21 PM. Reason: add info
Old 21st May 2013, 07:21 PM   #14
kekkmom

Thanks, Meg! If I would like to insert a CraftArtist creation into PagePlus, what is the best and highest resolution way of doing this?
Old 21st May 2013, 07:39 PM   #15
Meg

Quote:
Thanks, Meg! If I would like to insert a CraftArtist creation into PagePlus, what is the best and highest resolution way of doing this?
Export your graphic using File/export as picture. If there are several items included, you will need to select them all first. You can do this with a marquee select (click and drag left mouse over the items you want to select) or use Edit - select all or hold the shift key and click on the separate items you want exported as a picture.
Old 24th May 2013, 05:20 AM   #16
Harmony

Harmony is on a distinguished road

Noticed you are using CraftArtist 2 as well as Page Plus x6. I create, as a volunteer, newsletters for two different organizations using Page Plus and publishing as a PDF. I also do flyers, posters, cards, name tags and address labels. What advantage would CraftArtist 2 be to these projects? The forum has helped me a lot with Page Plus, since I am new to the program.
Old 24th May 2013, 08:39 AM   #17
Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony View Post
Noticed you are using CraftArtist 2 as well as Page Plus x6. I create, as a volunteer, newsletters for two different organizations using Page Plus and publishing as a PDF. I also do flyers, posters, cards, name tags and address labels. What advantage would CraftArtist 2 be to these projects? The forum has helped me a lot with Page Plus, since I am new to the program.
I am attaching 2 examples of work done with Digital Scrapbook Artist (DSA) from about 4 years ago. DSA was the precursor to Craft Artist. Back then, the community centre used to get me to do their graphics for them and I am definitely NOT an artist or a graphic designer (they get them done professionally these days) ,. The one with the street lamp was just a starter idea for the Victorian Street Fair - it wasn't actually used but gives an idea.

The postcard example was from when I retired. I spent the last 3 months at work in a happy glow (no, NOT alcoholic ) and found I was too late to send out my Christmas cards! so I created an unchristmas card and sent it out in February. This is just the front of it. I also did a back, with a poem message.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	examp1.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	41775   Click image for larger version

Name:	examp2.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	41776  
Old 24th May 2013, 08:38 PM   #18
kekkmom

I have been using CraftArtist mainly to personalize photos for family and friends and to make our yearly holiday card that I send to Costco. I love how anything larger than the page just automatically gets cropped off the page. For newsletters, PP is better (please let me know how to set Headers and formatting since I just downloaded PP this week and am new to it.)

I tried to upload a sample but it failed - anyone know how to attach a pdf or jpeg? I used the paperclip icon.
Old 24th May 2013, 11:37 PM   #19
Meg

Quote:
I have been using CraftArtist mainly to personalize photos for family and friends and to make our yearly holiday card that I send to Costco. I love how anything larger than the page just automatically gets cropped off the page. For newsletters, PP is better (please let me know how to set Headers and formatting since I just downloaded PP this week and am new to it.)

I tried to upload a sample but it failed - anyone know how to attach a pdf or jpeg? I used the paperclip icon.
To attach files, go to "advanced" and click on the button below marked "Manage attachments". That provides option for jpgs, pngs, etc, also the files from the programs, such as .ppp if you are having problems. There are size limits.
Old 25th May 2013, 12:14 AM   #20
kekkmom

Thanks, Meg! It was the file sizes.

Here's the attachments of sample CA work.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2013 Holiday Card forum small.pdf (114.6 KB, 118 views)
File Type: pdf Bridal Shower Invite 5 x 7 forum sample.pdf (97.5 KB, 118 views)
File Type: pdf Sample Page small.pdf (188.3 KB, 107 views)