Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > DrawPlus

Notices

DrawPlus Questions about using DrawPlus for vector graphics design

Old 24th January 2013, 12:00 AM   #1
filluminati

filluminati is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Colour Picker is far off accurate!

Hi,

I'm using the latest version of DrawPlus X5 and I am trying to use the colour picker but it's certainly far off accurate! If I go onto a big patch of red it would probably pick grey for some reason! Can anyone help me? I need help A.S.A.P!
Old 24th January 2013, 12:22 AM   #2
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Colour Picker is far off accurate!

It works OK for me.

Can you attach the red object that you're trying to pick colours from? Copy it to a new drawing to make it small enough to attach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Colour Picker.png
Views:	106
Size:	1.5 KB
ID:	38932  
Old 24th January 2013, 01:12 AM   #3
Geoff Blanthorn
Expert

Geoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by filluminati View Post
Hi,

I'm using the latest version of DrawPlus X5 and I am trying to use the colour picker but it's certainly far off accurate! If I go onto a big patch of red it would probably pick grey for some reason! Can anyone help me? I need help A.S.A.P!
The colour picker selects from just a single pixel. The red of your object may not be "pure". Zoom in to see,

Geoff
Old 24th January 2013, 03:02 AM   #4
filluminati

Exclamation Re: Colour Picker is far off accurate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Blanthorn View Post
The colour picker selects from just a single pixel. The red of your object may not be "pure". Zoom in to see,

Geoff
Yeah when I drag the colour picker and it does that zoom in preview box thing that follows along with it. That just picks up a completely different preview of the colour compared to what the colour picker is on! So if I took it to the middle it would show something like the RGB Slider the thing you choose your colours on. And if i dragged it to the RGB slider it would just show grey from the complete opposite side of the screen, LITERALLY!
Old 24th January 2013, 09:27 AM   #5
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

This sounds like an issue with a graphics driver. Are you using anything unusual like a dual monitor setup?

You could try updating your drivers. If that's not it, I think you will have to contact support. I doubt if there is much that other users can do to help.
Old 20th February 2013, 05:26 PM   #6
filluminati

Exclamation Re: Colour Picker is far off accurate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
This sounds like an issue with a graphics driver. Are you using anything unusual like a dual monitor setup?

You could try updating your drivers. If that's not it, I think you will have to contact support. I doubt if there is much that other users can do to help.
Sorry for the late reply. I checked for graphics update, I did it yet it still does the same thing. Also another unusual thing is when I right click somewhere then I click, the cursor teleports to somewhere else! And I am not using dual desktop however I am using Windows 8 using bootcamp on my macbook pro 2012.
Here's a picture of it but the thing is... It's on the side and I had to take the picture with my iPhone as I'm using a macbook pro and it doesn't have the prt screen option unfortunately.

Name:	Yy7Xy4v.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	46036

Last edited by AlfredP; 14th March 2014 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Replaced embedded image
Old 13th March 2014, 07:11 PM   #7
Radovan

Radovan is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Colour Picker is far off accurate!

I have the same problem. When I bought a new laptop with fullHD display (and Win 8) I must adjusted Windows screen resolution to 150% dpi (because when it was set up to 100% dpi some menus were very small). Since that I cannot use Colour picker because of its inaccuracy. It seems that user interface and document are using windows setting (150%) but colour picker is still using 100% dpi (maybe because hardcoded in program). It makes me sad Drawplus is my favourite vector editor, I like its user interface but without functional colour picker creating draws makes me upset. It is very difficult and time-consuming to make complicated draws.

Can anybody confirm my presumption that Win8 + increased Windows resolution dpi = inaccurate colour picker in DPX5 ?

And is the problem in DPX6 too?
Old 13th March 2014, 07:36 PM   #8
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radovan View Post
Can anybody confirm my presumption that Win8 + increased Windows resolution dpi = inaccurate colour picker in DPX5 ?

And is the problem in DPX6 too?
I cannot confirm that, but it seems like a likely reason.

I suspect that DPX6 is also not designed for Hi DPI systems — if so, then the bug is probably still there.

Perhaps a moderator could crop the huge image for us, or filluminati could do it.
Old 13th March 2014, 10:21 PM   #9
Radovan

Arrow Re: Colour Picker is far off accurate!

Thx for your reply. I hope developers fix the item ASAP, at least in DPX6 or DPX7.

You can see the problem in the picture http://forums.serif.com/attachment.p...1&d=1394743126.

I put four screenshots in one picture to show the inaccuracy of a colour picker. The distance between a line (guideline) and a position of colour picker is increasing from left to right.

Btw I was very surprised that the old PPX4 and WPX4 are OK and ready for dpi increasing in Windows whereas DPX5 and MPX5 not.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DPX5 - inaccurate colour picker.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	46031  
Old 13th March 2014, 10:55 PM   #10
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Try the colour-picker on this image:

Old 13th March 2014, 11:58 PM   #11
Radovan

Arrow Re: Colour Picker is far off accurate!

Here it is.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DPX5 - inaccurate colour picker 2.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	46035  
Old 14th March 2014, 12:03 AM   #12
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

You took me too literally. The picture was a response to your comment:

Quote:
I hope developers fix the item ASAP, at least in DPX6 or DPX7.
Old 14th March 2014, 01:10 AM   #13
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Perhaps a moderator could crop the huge image for us, or filluminati could do it.
Embedded 420 KB image (2448 × 1836 px) replaced with 7 KB attachment (cropped and rotated, 448 × 288 px).

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 14th March 2014, 01:50 AM   #14
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by filluminati View Post
I had to take the picture with my iPhone as I'm using a macbook pro and it doesn't have the prt screen option unfortunately.
As noted in the table on this page, fn + Shift + F11 on a MacBook Pro keyboard is equivalent to PrtScrn on a Windows keyboard.

Alfred
Old 14th March 2014, 08:43 AM   #15
Radovan

Talking Re: Colour Picker is far off accurate!

Quote:
You took me too literally. The picture was a response to your comment:
My fault. I read the text in the picture ... just now
Old 18th March 2014, 07:56 PM   #16
nfc212
Master

nfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond repute

As pointed out earlier the color picker will only select the colour of the pixel it is directly over. In some images the shade of, for example, red you see may not actually be present in the image. The eye is tricked by a combination of different shades placed next to each other. This is typical of a JPG image for example. So select single pixels as much as you like you will never find the right one.

I've not found a way of increasing the colour picker radius in D+ up to X3. However this facility is available in some other software such as GIMP which has the options Sample Average, increases the radius around the point of the picker, and Sample Merged which allows the colour of layers to be selected.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/gim...lor-picker.htm

If the facility to select average or mean colours isn't available in newer versions it should be.
Old 19th March 2014, 10:19 AM   #17
Radovan

That's not a bad colour (or its shade) problem but a problem of position inaccuracy.

If you look at the picture you can see that when I want to select colour at coordinates 3,3 (upper left corner) I must move a colour picker to position 117,167. In the same way when I need colour from point 826,192 I must move colour picker to coordinates 1358,450.

Red lines show a deviation of colour picker. The deviation is increasing from upper left to lower right corner where the picker is absolutely useless because if I want a colour from lower right corner I would have to move the colour picker out of my screen.
Old 2nd June 2014, 05:51 PM   #18
Radovan

Thumbs up Re: Colour Picker is far off accurate! [SOLVED]

Finally I solved my colour picker nuisance.

Right click on Drawplus shortcut on Desktop > Properties > Compatibility tab > click checkbox "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings"

And Colour picker is accurate again.
Old 2nd June 2014, 06:35 PM   #19
AlfredP
Guru

Default Re: Colour Picker is far off accurate! [SOLVED]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radovan View Post
Finally I solved my colour picker nuisance.

Right click on Drawplus shortcut on Desktop > Properties > Compatibility tab > click checkbox "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings"

And Colour picker is accurate again.
Thanks. That's useful to know.

High DPI settings affect the display of dialogs in recent versions of Serif software products. This thread seems to have highlighted another area where high DPI has unwanted effects.

Alfred