Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Community > General

Notices

General Discussions that don't relate to a specific Serif product

Old 17th July 2012, 12:13 PM   #1
Pete B
Advanced Member

Pete B is on a distinguished road
Default The Definition of and How to Report Spam

Firstly I would like to thank everyone for their continued help and vigilance in helping to keep the Serif forum such a helpful and friendly community. Recently there have been a few instances which have helped us better clarify the way in which our “no advertising” rule is enforced. We include the statement ‘Advertising is strictly forbidden without prior approval of the staff’ in our rules so that we can take swift and immediate action against spammers and those who have only joined the forum to sell goods and services.

We feel that a more lenient approach should be taken towards genuine users and would like to offer some guidance for such cases. If a forum member is posting to ask a genuine question or is helping another user with their query, we class this as appropriate forum participation. In such cases, if the user happens to have a link in their signature to a website that wasn’t made in WebPlus or isn’t related to other Serif products, we would not class this as “advertising”, even if the site offers products/services in exchange for money.

By no means should this clarification deter you from reporting clear instances of spam and fraudulent posts made by ‘fake’ users with rock-bottom post counts. If a post or thread has clearly been made with the sole intention of pushing a link or advertising a product then please use the yellow 'Report Post' button that can be found on the left hand side of the offending post.

If you are unsure or in any doubt then please report the post and the moderators, who have also been briefed of this policy will deal with it appropriately. Please try to avoid replying to or quoting suspect messages as this can compound the issue

If you have any questions then please do not hesitate to get in touch with myself or Sarah via PM

Prepare for unforeseen consequences...
Old 17th July 2012, 01:07 PM   #2
Meg

Meg has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The Definition of and How to Report Spam

Thanks for the clarification
Old 26th July 2012, 08:43 PM   #3
Anaqo

Anaqo is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the information..

Last edited by Anaqo; 25th September 2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 17th August 2012, 07:36 AM   #4
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

There's still too many spammers. Can't you put a block on a member's first post so that has to be approved by a moderator. That works well on the High-Logic forums.
Old 17th August 2012, 10:49 AM   #5
TAE

TAE is well on the road to greatness

Thanks for the information Pete.

As Bhikkhu said, there does seem to be a lot of spam at the moment... is there anything that can be done to make it harder for spammers to create accounts?
Old 17th August 2012, 10:51 AM   #6
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAE View Post

As Bhikkhu said, there does seem to be a lot of spam at the moment... is there anything that can be done to make it harder for spammers to create accounts?
How do you know that it is a spammer trying to create an account?

Old 17th August 2012, 10:54 AM   #7
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAE View Post

Actually, there are less than ten new accounts started by spammers a day and that is not every day.

On the other hand, there are a greater number of legitimate new Serif users who join daily... I notice them especially in the WebPlus forum.

I think moderating all new users seems like a good idea but would increase the time demands by the moderators.
Old 17th August 2012, 11:02 AM   #8
ericlnz

ericlnz is just really niceericlnz is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh View Post

I think moderating all new users seems like a good idea but would increase the time demands by the moderators.
Plus possibly cause delays in posts appearing from new users in a pickle and who urgently require guidance.

Eric
Old 17th August 2012, 11:03 AM   #9
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlnz View Post
Plus possibly cause delays in posts appearing from new users in a pickle and who urgently require guidance.

Eric
Yes.
Old 17th August 2012, 11:16 AM   #10
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

It would also stop duplicate threads and cries for "Help" posted in the wrong forum. The mods would at least be able to give it a new title and move it to the right forum, which they have to do anyway after its been posted.
Old 17th August 2012, 11:20 AM   #11
TAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post
How do you know that it is a spammer trying to create an account?
You don't, but there must be measures that can be taken to help reduce it... I don't know what kind of captcha system is used on sign up, and I do hate it when they are barely legible, but perhaps if there was a simple captcha image, and a sum or something?
Quote:
Actually, there are less than ten new accounts started by spammers a day and that is not every day.

On the other hand, there are a greater number of legitimate new Serif users who join daily... I notice them especially in the WebPlus forum.

10 isn't bad actually, although I only notice one every few days from "my side"... you must do a pretty good job about catching them
Quote:

Eric
I don't think that it would work to delay new posts, I think spammers need to be caught out on sign up instead, if possible
Old 17th August 2012, 12:50 PM   #12
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Besides which, it wouldn't do anything to tackle the problem of spammers who start with a few innocuous posts before spamming (either by posting further messages or by editing their existing posts to insert spam links).

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 17th August 2012, 12:55 PM   #13
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
It would also stop duplicate threads and cries for "Help" posted in the wrong forum. The mods would at least be able to give it a new title and move it to the right forum, which they have to do anyway after its been posted.
As you say, Bhikkhu Pesala, it would stop duplicate threads, but moving and retitling posts is time-consuming whichever way you do it.

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 17th August 2012, 01:28 PM   #14
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredP View Post
Besides which, it wouldn't do anything to tackle the problem of spammers who start with a few innocuous posts before spamming (either by posting further messages or by editing their existing posts to insert spam links).

Alfred
Yup.
Old 17th August 2012, 03:47 PM   #15
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredP View Post
moving and retitling posts is time-consuming whichever way you do it.
It wouldn't consume any of my time if the moderators did it

I wouldn't need to tell those new users where to post, how to name threads, nor would I have to copy and paste links to duplicate threads.

Since the moderators don't have to take any more time, its better if they can do it before the user's first posts are approved.

This is what I do on the High-Logic and IrfanView forums, though its not as much as ten posts a day. It would be hassle if there were ten a day, but at least the spammers don't get to post in the first place, and the valid posts need to be moved to the right forum and renamed anyway — which can be done in the same operation.

Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 17th August 2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 17th August 2012, 03:51 PM   #16
jacksjacobs

jacksjacobs is a splendid one to beholdjacksjacobs is a splendid one to beholdjacksjacobs is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Eric
I am sure that a post that looks like a real question about Serif applications, or even a non-serif "last resort" question in the general forum, is acceptable.

How the questioner later responds to replies may indicate a spammer or hopefully, otherwise.

The first post sent in a panic may not be well constructed. Further posts reveal the spirit behind the letter.

funny cats
Old 17th August 2012, 07:23 PM   #17
Black Spot

Black Spot is on a distinguished road

I moderate a forum that has over 300,000 members, where I have to ban about 100 people every day. It's pretty thankless task and I think a big thank you is in order for the mods here.
Old 17th August 2012, 07:55 PM   #18
TAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
I moderate a forum that has over 300,000 members, where I have to ban about 100 people every day. It's pretty thankless task and I think a big thank you is in order for the mods here.
Thank You mods
Old 17th August 2012, 08:08 PM   #19
Geoff Blanthorn
Expert

Geoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to behold

Perhaps only people with registered Serif software should be allowed to post on the forum. However the full instructions of how to register on line should be included in the Help files.

Alternatively could not some automatic mechanism be set up whereby someone signing up for the forum would be sent a key by e-mail before they could actually post anything?

Geoff
Old 17th August 2012, 08:14 PM   #20
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Blanthorn View Post
Perhaps only people with registered Serif software should be allowed to post on the forum. However the full instructions of how to register on line should be included in the Help files.

Alternatively could not some automatic mechanism be set up whereby someone signing up for the forum would be sent a key by e-mail before they could actually post anything?

Geoff

Geoff

We sometimes see new folks who want to ask questions prior to purchasing any Serif software titles.

I do not think Serif should close the door to forum participation.

Otherwise,

LOL... I think of secret handshakes for membership in an exclusive club. Please take this comment with the whimsy intended.