Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Photos and Movies > MoviePlus

Notices

MoviePlus Questions about using MoviePlus for video editing

Old 24th May 2012, 10:23 PM   #101
alspar

alspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Serif launches MoviePlus X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohernie View Post
alspar: As far as the upgrade goes, I was offered a great deal on several products awhile back so I bought the lot. Several of them were "upgrade" packages and I kept finding references to resource files I didn't get..
Some Serif programmes come with Resource Disks which have to installed separately - and some additional resources are made available (in some) on Registration
Quote:
That left me wondering about whether I should install the X6 upgrade into a new directory (and move resources over) so that I could continue to use X5 until I was comfortable with X6 - or - install the X6 upgrade on top of X5 and go for broke. The install program made the decision for me. It does appear to be complete. My point is that it would have been nice to have known exactly what the upgrade would do. What are we talking about, one "upgrade instructions" paragraph on the download/license page that's also included n the email? Again, it's about service.
I find myself agreeing with this - the user guide only says:
Quote:
Upgrading?
If you've upgraded from a previous version, this new edition of ....Plus
includes a host of exciting new features (p. 12) which keeps .....Plus ahead of
its competitors and at a fraction of the price! We hope you also enjoy the
additional power and performance edge.
Old 11th June 2012, 02:01 AM   #102
pawprints

pawprints is on a distinguished road

I just upgraded to Movie Plus X6 and have to be honest in saying I'm totally underwhelmed. I originally turned down the over enthusiastic sales guy (who honestly turned into a child when I said I wasn't interested when he offered me the same price as I just paid online) as at the time I really wasn't but he did say that there have been amazing speed increases in the product so I thought ok, I'll give X6 a go to see if it has been improved as x5 was struggling with a project. Sadly performance for me seems identical and the extra features I personally think are mostly trivial and just save very little time. Quickmovie is a nice idea but again if I'm honest I've seen it executed far better in other applications. I own all Serif's products (apart from the latest web plus) and have to say for the first time I really wished I'd have not bothered with this upgrade. I can't say that Movie plus isn't an excellent product as it is and I use it quite often but the new version doesn't seem to add any sparkle and is rapidly feeling dated amongst the competition.

Personally I hope X7 actually moves things forward and not on a slight detour.
Old 11th June 2012, 05:35 AM   #103
Fergus

Fergus is on a distinguished road

I like MP because it's pretty simple to use, and because combining its blend modes and layer grouping can get you a pretty fancy outcome for little effort.

I think X6 interface was improved on X5, but I feel Serif could have gone further. I'd like to see...
  • (especially text) fx fully integrated into the properties panel, rather than being yet another separate click followed by another tabbed dialogue box
  • an option to have keyframes automatically displayed for any parameter that has them turned on rather than always having to chose to display them or pinning the keyframe track (ie one click rather than 2) - at least when you have that clip or track selected. I reckon if you're choosing to use them, you want to see them - perhaps by having the "Show keyframes" be something like a property of the clip which you can toggle on and off
  • I'd like to see the auto alignment/snapping work so that every clip or transition clicks to EVERY other beginning/end/transition etc no matter what track they are on (I can only get snapping working on a track not between tracks.)
  • I'd like to see a simple way to select part of the timeline for repeating playback

I think some of these could be a good update for X6 rather than wait for X7. (Of course, we may already be able to some do these some of these things, I apologise if so.)

Thanks for reading.
Old 24th July 2012, 05:14 AM   #104
unitedtaps

unitedtaps is on a distinguished road

I was hoping to download a "starter" version of MVPX6 so I could compare its export quality to MVPX5 but I was unable to. Has anyone been able to do a direct comparison exporting an identical file from both x5 and x6 and then comparing the two to see if the codecs have indeed been improved? The biggest reason I don't use MVPX5 even though I bought it, is that the quality of an export for a given file size is inferior to Sony Vegas Movie Studio. If the codecs have improved I could consider using it again.

Rod
Old 8th September 2012, 10:40 AM   #105
littlefish

littlefish is on a distinguished road

Firstly, thanks to mods for removing the SPAM posts quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitedtaps View Post
I was hoping to download a "starter" version of MVPX6 so I could compare its export quality to MVPX5 but I was unable to. Has anyone been able to do a direct comparison exporting an identical file from both x5 and x6 and then comparing the two to see if the codecs have indeed been improved? The biggest reason I don't use MVPX5 even though I bought it, is that the quality of an export for a given file size is inferior to Sony Vegas Movie Studio. If the codecs have improved I could consider using it again.

Rod
I've used both x5 & x6 for turning HD 'footage' into Blu Ray discs and MP4's for viewing on my smartphone. Admittedly I have an older Samsung HD TV and mid range Sony Ericsson Android phone but my eye can't see a difference.

I'm intrigued: how much better are the Sony codecs? What size / format are you producing from Vegas?
Old 8th September 2012, 02:37 PM   #106
unitedtaps

unitedtaps is on a distinguished road

The difference with Vegas is noticeable and big enough for me to choose the inferior usability of Vegas over MoviePlus.

I'm producing Mov, WMV, and MP4 files at 540p, 720p, and 1080p. It's been about a year since I did the direct comparison (exporting the same footage with approximately the same settings from each program) so I don't remember all the specifics but there was a clear difference which surprised me because I thought everyone pretty much used the same codecs. Well apparently Sony uses different ones. I think it might have been the MOV format that showed the biggest difference.
Old 8th September 2012, 06:08 PM   #107
littlefish

Thanks for the reply. I'll try out the demo of Sony Movie Studio 12 (née Vegas) and see what I can see.
Old 9th September 2012, 12:56 AM   #108
ericlnz

ericlnz is just really niceericlnz is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlefish View Post
Thanks for the reply. I'll try out the demo of Sony Movie Studio 12 (née Vegas) and see what I can see.
I've just been playing around with Sony Movie Studio 12 and two other video editors. Unfortunately I've just removed them all. With Sony I found its SD avi and mpeg exports were identical to MVPX5. Not surprising as Sony also use a MainConcept codec for mpg. I didn't try other formats, nor HD. The other video editors were not as good with SD mpg. One was noticeably softer.

But it's not just the codecs that affect quality as the rendering can vary. Especially when the pixel configuration is being reorganised. Also when comparing make sure you play the files on the same software on your pc as players can vary.

Eric
Old 13th September 2012, 05:52 PM   #109
littlefish

Well, done some playing with both programs, produced a couple of DVD's and Blu Ray discs and, to be honest, I can't see any difference in the quality. So I'll stick with MoviePlus X6 especially as .iso creation is easier and the disc creator is built in. YMMV.

Edit: Eric, thanks for the post. You're right about players. VLC is my usual choice but sometimes an old copy of Corel WinDVD yields a better image.
Old 28th September 2012, 06:41 AM   #110
EskoM

EskoM is on a distinguished road

I loaded the quite big installation program of 'MoviePlus X6 Starter Edition' but it did not work. After using this installation the program asked to start the computer again but after new start there was nothing on the hard disk. I tried twoo times with same result.

I have Windows XP SP3 and memory and hard disk space enough.

What to do?

Esko
Old 28th September 2012, 08:27 AM   #111
ericlnz

ericlnz is just really niceericlnz is just really nice

Try again but when it says to restart ignore it and proceed.
Old 17th October 2012, 09:31 AM   #112
Moehre

Moehre is on a distinguished road

Hi !

I was looking everywhere but didn't find anything about it: does MV+ X6 use CUDA? I'm going to buy a new graphic card, but it would only make sense if CUDA is used for rendering ...

Thx
Detlev
Old 17th October 2012, 09:53 AM   #113
djfuego

djfuego is on a distinguished road

No and this is my only gripe of the software while Serif say the software uses multi core CPU rendering it's still not as fast as GPU in most cases. It's still fast if you have a quad core machine, and if I where to upgrade to a possible MoviePlus X7 it would have to use OPENCL as Cuda is Nvidias Proprietary gpu API and open cl is a little like OPEN GL in respect that it is 'Open' and can be used on all gfx cards. You don't get all the sales you want by just supporting Cuda. I believe Microsoft have or are developing a direct X variant transcoding api too so something that works on AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPU chipsets would be beneficial to Serif.
Old 17th October 2012, 09:58 AM   #114
Moehre

Moehre is on a distinguished road

Thanks Ross! @Serif: PLEASE add this feature in the new X7 version!! I do have an older quad core pc and thought, that with buying a new graphics card with CUDA (Gigabyte Geforce GTX 650 TI OC) I could speed it up ...
Old 10th November 2012, 11:03 PM   #115
Davebt001

Davebt001 is on a distinguished road

X6 and still comes with the problem that the original MoviePlus 3 had, why can't you find out the problem that users are getting regarding the export error that crashes this program.

C++ terminates program

It really is about time this is sorted, I refused to update to X6 for this reason and was assured it was sorted, sorry but its not, look in your forums. Until this is sorted in x6 I for one will not be supporting any Serif product in the future as it seems obvious the developers have gone beyond their expertese.
Old 6th December 2012, 01:32 AM   #116
para7383

para7383 is on a distinguished road

Sure would like to see serif incorporate smartsound. Would drive a lot of business Serif's way, instead of competetors who have it.