Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Photos and Movies > CraftArtist

Notices

CraftArtist Questions about using CraftArtist for digital crafting

Old 11th December 2013, 10:34 AM   #1
captainzlog

captainzlog is on a distinguished road
Default Can't print

CraftArtist 2 was working fine under Windows 7 but now refuses to print - it goes through the printing dialogue but no printout appears on the printer and there are no error messages and no entry in the printer queue. Have tried with CA1 and same result, and also when using PagePlus. This seems to be a Serif issue because printing from Word, Adobe Reader and other non-Serif software.

Can export to pdf and print from there as a workaround but would be good to be able to print directly from CraftArtist. Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Old 11th December 2013, 05:09 PM   #2
Meg

Meg has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Can't print

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainzlog View Post
CraftArtist 2 was working fine under Windows 7 but now refuses to print - it goes through the printing dialogue but no printout appears on the printer and there are no error messages and no entry in the printer queue. Have tried with CA1 and same result, and also when using PagePlus. This seems to be a Serif issue because printing from Word, Adobe Reader and other non-Serif software.

Can export to pdf and print from there as a workaround but would be good to be able to print directly from CraftArtist. Any ideas greatly appreciated.
D you have more than 1 printer? I have found that some programs remember which printer you used last and I have found myself trying to print to an offline printer and wondering why it wasn't going!
Old 11th December 2013, 07:22 PM   #3
captainzlog

The laptop has been connected to other printers in the past but currently only has one connected, and CraftArtist is definitely showing the correct printer as the one it is about to print to - but doesn't!
Old 11th December 2013, 07:55 PM   #4
Meg

Quote:
The laptop has been connected to other printers in the past but currently only has one connected, and CraftArtist is definitely showing the correct printer as the one it is about to print to - but doesn't!
I tried printing from my CA2. And had a big shock - chose one of the sample pictures and it would not print! Chose one of my own documents and it printed fine, so tried the sample picture again and left it for a while to see if it was its size (it was created using a "brush") It took about 4 or 5 times as long as my own documents (well my granddaughter's actually - she was getting dragon pictures off the internet!) to print but eventually printed. Is it likely to be a very big picture or file size? Have you tried giving it extra time?
Old 13th December 2013, 05:45 PM   #5
captainzlog

Smile Re: Can't print - long printer name

Serif Technical support came up with the answer - the printer name was quite long and it seems that Serif products have a problem with this. Renamed the printer using these instructions http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...#1TC=windows-7 and can now print fine!
Old 14th December 2013, 01:32 AM   #6
ggrussell
Expert

ggrussell is a jewel in the roughggrussell is a jewel in the rough

Never heard that before, but thanks for letting us know. Good info to remember!
Old 14th December 2013, 01:14 PM   #7
Meg

Default Re: Can't print - long printer name

Quote:
Serif Technical support came up with the answer - the printer name was quite long and it seems that Serif products have a problem with this. Renamed the printer using these instructions http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...#1TC=windows-7 and can now print fine!
Yes, very useful to know. Thanks.
Old 16th December 2013, 12:53 PM   #8
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrussell View Post
Never heard that before, but thanks for letting us know. Good info to remember!

I have. It came up a long time ago, although I can't remember now which Serif product was affected. It may have been PhotoPlus.

Old 18th December 2013, 05:57 PM   #9
ggrussell
Expert

ggrussell is a jewel in the roughggrussell is a jewel in the rough

Kind of funny, I almost always rename my printers. Mostly because I've always like shorter names, but didn't know about this issue. Wonder if other companies have the same issue.