Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Photos and Movies > CraftArtist

Notices

CraftArtist Questions about using CraftArtist for digital crafting

Old 11th May 2013, 03:24 PM   #1
BarbaraM

BarbaraM is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Crashes in CraftArtist 2 Professional

I have recently purchased CraftArtist professional and it is driving me nuts. I have been trying to design a card to send to a friend who is rather ill with quite a long message inside. Whilst I was typing this message, CraftArtist crashed without warning about nine or ten times. In the end, I had to save at the end of every line and sometimes it would not save telling me it was already in use! It took forever. Then when I tried to print the layers on the front were incorrect although it looked fine on the screen and I had to delete them all and re-insert in the order of the layers. Finally, it printed OK except one of the inside pages it did not print the background behind the message, so that page is white and the other three have a background. I give up!!! Anyone else having problems?

Last edited by BarbaraM; 11th May 2013 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Clarified title
Old 20th May 2013, 07:26 PM   #2
MikeW

MikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant future
Default Re: Crashes in CraftArtist 2 Professional

Hello Barbara,

I believe from the lack of response the answer is no, others are not having this issue. If you would like to help in tracking down the issue, you would need to upload your file here, or, if too large, to your own server or to dropbox.com and share the link.

Take care, Mike
Old 24th May 2013, 06:13 PM   #3
BarbaraM

Hi Mike, Thanks for coming back. Sorry about the delay in coming back to you - I have been away. Have tried to upload the file, but it must be too big. Will try uploading to Dropbox as soon as I have a moment to spare. Thanks for your interest in my problem.
Regards Barbara.
Old 24th May 2013, 06:18 PM   #4
BarbaraM

Hi Mike again,
Here, hopefully, is the link to the file in Dropbox.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qbzl5kcyx6....craft?v=0mcns
Regards Barbara.
Old 24th May 2013, 09:10 PM   #5
MikeW

MikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant future

No worries, Barbara.

Thank you for the file. I don't have the three Hallmark fonts you have used. I don't have any crashes in editing the substituted fonts in your file. It could be font related, but without purchasing the fonts I wouldn't know for certain. Nice looking fonts, though--and I am a sucker for fonts.

If you have PagePlus, you could try exporting your pages as an image, put them in PP and redo the text in PP.

Or, try exporting as a PDF and print the PDF. Just make sure to check the "Impose" checkbox. Then try printing the PDF. Both a direct print and a PDF print fine to both the printers I have here.

Wish there was something better to report that would fix the issue(s) for you.

Take care, Mike
Old 24th May 2013, 09:37 PM   #6
BarbaraM

Hi Mike, Thank you so much for trying to help me with my problem. Goodness knows where the fonts came from - I seem to acquire them over the years without deliberately importing any. Every time I open my old Works programme it tells me I have too many fonts (more than 500). I tried deleting some that I never use and that caused more problems so I still have over 500 - loads of which I shall never use in a million years. Did it tell you what the fonts were that I had used. If not, they were as follows:- Front page - NokieBrushHmk, Inside SuccotashHmk and the back page SandyTextHmk. Again, many thanks. Regards Barbara.

PS Yes, I have PagePlus X5 so I will try that idea. Thanks.
Old 27th May 2013, 06:16 PM   #7
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraM View Post
Goodness knows where the fonts came from - I seem to acquire them over the years without deliberately importing any. Every time I open my old Works programme it tells me I have too many fonts (more than 500). I tried deleting some that I never use and that caused more problems so I still have over 500 - loads of which I shall never use in a million years.
Hi Barbara,

Some of the fonts which you never use may be fonts which are required by the operating system; hence the problems if you delete them! FontFrenzy includes a nifty 'DeFrenzy' feature which uninstalls any fonts which were not supplied with Windows (storing them elsewhere so that you still have access to them). AMP Font Viewer is a free font manager which, as its developer says, is easy to use but powerful. There are, of course, many paid alternatives.

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 27th May 2013, 07:55 PM   #8
William

William is just really niceWilliam is just really nice

I have to do a cull of my fonts very soon, I have 2400+, and many of them are very similar. What puts me off sorting through them is the time involved, but I will get round to it soon!
I have had problems with other programs crashing because of faulty fonts, but never Craft Artist 2.
Old 5th June 2013, 09:47 AM   #9
BarbaraM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredP View Post
Hi Barbara,

Some of the fonts which you never use may be fonts which are required by the operating system; hence the problems if you delete them! FontFrenzy includes a nifty 'DeFrenzy' feature which uninstalls any fonts which were not supplied with Windows (storing them elsewhere so that you still have access to them). AMP Font Viewer is a free font manager which, as its developer says, is easy to use but powerful. There are, of course, many paid alternatives.

Alfred
Thanks Alfred, I'll try that as soon as I have a moment to spare!!

Barbara.
Old 23rd July 2013, 08:59 PM   #10
djtn

djtn is on a distinguished road
Default Two of the Most INFURIATING Issues That I Find With CA2!!!

2013/07/23
Hi,

I don't know if my post will be seen since this is an old thread, but I hate to start a new thread when a similar issue already exists.

The two issues that I speak of are:

1) CA2 ALWAYS crashes on entering or especially editing text;

2) CA2 ALWAYS changes Text on a Path settings if you have not already converted to a picture. This is the message that you get: "New settings have been applied to XXX curve text item(s). You may notice some visible changes in these item(s)."

Aaaaaaarrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh!

(Do you sense a bit of my frustration?)

Plus using the word "ALWAYS" is NOT hyperbole - it is FACT.

For #2 above, there should be some way to open a CA2 document in read-only mode as can be done in DrawPlus I believe, so it doesn't get automatically changed. OR one should be able to accept or NOT accept these unwanted changes, instead of the changes being forced on you.

Oftentimes I've worked hard in spacing the text in Text on a Path (and saved frequently) only to have CA2 crash (also frequently.) Then when I open the file again, although I haven't lost any data because of the frequent saves, I've lost all of the spacing due to the crash and now I have to do the spacing all over again, until the next crash.

I mostly use Arial for my cards and I believe that is a standard Windows font, so the font should not be an issue.

I would like to see the Text crash issue get fixed. I haven't seen a CA2 update for a long time. That is my main complaint with CA2. I can live with the settings change in Text on a Path. And I worked out a "work around" for the Text crash issue by basically saving my file when I add a word or a very, very small phrase. When I edit any text, I save by letter or word at the most.

Since I'm mentioning CA2 issues, the only other CA2 issue I have is that "Copy page" is not stable. I find that "Copy page" will crash CA2 almost every time. My workaround is to "Insert Page" and then copy the items layer by layer and paste them layer by layer onto the new page. This is tedious with pages that have many layers, but I have to do it this way if I want to copy a page.

Thanks, David
Old 24th July 2013, 12:53 AM   #11
djtn

djtn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Two of the Most INFURIATING Issues That I Find With CA2!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtn View Post
2013/07/23
Hi,

I don't know if my post will be seen since this is an old thread, but I hate to start a new thread when a similar issue already exists.

The two issues that I speak of are:

1) CA2 ALWAYS crashes on entering or especially editing text;

2) CA2 ALWAYS changes Text on a Path settings if you have not already converted to a picture. This is the message that you get: "New settings have been applied to XXX curve text item(s). You may notice some visible changes in these item(s)."

For #2 above, there should be some way to open a CA2 document in read-only mode as can be done in DrawPlus I believe, so it doesn't get automatically changed. OR one should be able to accept or NOT accept these unwanted changes, instead of the changes being forced on you.

Oftentimes I've worked hard in spacing the text in Text on a Path (and saved frequently) only to have CA2 crash (also frequently.) Then when I open the file again, although I haven't lost any data because of the frequent saves, I've lost all of the spacing due to the crash and now I have to do the spacing all over again, until the next crash.

Thanks, David

2013/07/23
Hi,

Here's something that just came up in something that I'm working on. It has to do with #2 above - the issue about CA2 changing the Text on a Path settings.

I was getting an "unhandled exception" error before the crash a couple of times while I was trying to edit a Text on a Path project. So I decided to change the size of the Star of David to see if that helped. The only problem was that I also had a Star of David outline underneath the text form so I grouped them together and re-sized them together. Now this should have yielded a re-sized Star of David picture and a matching sized curved text. However there was a discrepancy because I got a message that CA2 changed the settings of the text (just as it does when I exit and start it up again) and so the format of the Text on a Path and the Star of David bitmap (picture) were not equal even though they were grouped when I changed the size. I'll attach a picture that shows the difference. Now it's a moot point because CA2 crashed and when I started it up again, all my spacing is reset and I have to start all over again with the spacing!

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TOP_Re-Position_Error_EDIT.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	42996