Notices

ImpactPlus / 3DPlus ImpactPlus / 3DPlus

Old 18th October 2011, 10:20 PM   #1
helpmethanks

helpmethanks is on a distinguished road
Unhappy win7 & Harvard Graphics

howdy folks,

i need help.
my company just install win7 and i like using HG. at first the program didn't run and a message about not compatible w/ win7 and the use of 32 bit & 64 bit. i'm going give me a break. why would Microsoft develope a OS that can't run old favorites programs? anyway by some miracle the program is working (don't ask me why )but once you create a graph and want to use marker style, it's throwing out some other weird symbols??
1- any ideas why this program and others not working well or not at all with win7?
2 - anyone uses Harvard Graphics or Stanford Graphics?
HG similar to excel but more annotation features and easier to use.
thanks for your help.
-Jake
Old 18th October 2011, 10:29 PM   #2
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: win7 & Harvard Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpmethanks View Post
howdy folks,

i need help.
my company just install win7 and i like using HG. at first the program didn't run and a message about not compatible w/ win7 and the use of 32 bit & 64 bit. i'm going give me a break. why would Microsoft develope a OS that can't run old favorites programs? anyway by some miracle the program is working (don't ask me why )but once you create a graph and want to use marker style, it's throwing out some other weird symbols??
1- any ideas why this program and others not working well or not at all with win7?
thanks for your help.
-Jake

Hiya Jake and welcome to the Serif forums.

I have both the DOS and WIN versions of Harvard Graphics and haven't even tried to install either on WIN 7... but I do know that others have. Hopefully they will be along to lend their experience of HG on WIN 7.
Old 18th October 2011, 10:41 PM   #3
helpmethanks

thanks mjh, hope to hear from others.
Old 18th October 2011, 10:43 PM   #4
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
thanks mjh, hope to hear from others.
It might be a while so tick the thingy that gets you response notices via email.
Old 19th October 2011, 09:41 PM   #5
RichardS
Master

RichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant future

Quote:
... once you create a graph and want to use marker style, it's throwing out some other weird symbols??
thanks for your help.
-Jake
I have Harvard Graphics 2.0 for Windows, installed on 32-bit Windows 7 Enterprise RTM, running in a VirtualBox virtualiser on my WinXP.

It installed without protest.

- What is the "marker style"?
- Where are these strange characters?

BTW. I did try to install HG2 for DOS on Windows 7 Beta, but the decompressor/installer refused to run... it always was rather tricky.
32-bit Win10 Pro 14946, AMD64 3200+, 2GB RAM, Bodged ATI Video & AC97 Audio drivers.
64-bit (3GB) & 32-bit (2GB) Win10 Pro 16170, on VirtualBox, 2 CPU cores, 128MB video
Old 26th October 2011, 04:53 PM   #6
helpmethanks

when you create a line graph you may want to distinguish between the lines by using makers. chart>chart attributes>series>marker style allows one to place a marker style to accomplish this.
Old 26th October 2011, 09:32 PM   #7
RichardS
Master

RichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant future

Quote:
when you create a line graph you may want to distinguish between the lines by using makers. chart>chart attributes>series>marker style allows one to place a marker style to accomplish this.
In my copy of Harvard Graphics for Windows 2.0, running on 32-bit Windows 7 Enterprise RTM:

That "Series" button offers three options:

- None
- Filled Square
- Pound Sign (ie. #)

But, these choices only seen relevant if the "Line Style" is set to "Point": Then the data points are indicated using what was chosen in the "Series" options.

Is this what you are seeing?

In my screenshot, I've used the Pound sign (#) to mark the "Apples" data points and set the "Apples" line style to "Points."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hg2_series.gif
Views:	222
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	27279  
32-bit Win10 Pro 14946, AMD64 3200+, 2GB RAM, Bodged ATI Video & AC97 Audio drivers.
64-bit (3GB) & 32-bit (2GB) Win10 Pro 16170, on VirtualBox, 2 CPU cores, 128MB video
Old 26th October 2011, 09:49 PM   #8
Meg

Meg has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
And this can be done quite easily in Excel.

Last edited by Meg; 19th December 2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 26th October 2011, 10:51 PM   #9
helpmethanks

using HG Advanced Presentation 3.0 ver.8.0.0
this version has 13 marker styles plus none.
currently when i choose a marker style of choice, it gives me some other weird symbol then what i choose.
i believe this is because of win7.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Harvard Graphics - CELAY_LEVERS_MCV_STEP2.pdf (8.7 KB, 167 views)
Old 26th October 2011, 11:35 PM   #10
RichardS
Master

Quote:
using HG Advanced Presentation 3.0 ver.8.0.0
this version has 13 marker styles plus none.
currently when i choose a marker style of choice, it gives me some other weird symbol then what i choose.
i believe this is because of win7.
Your version seems newer than mine. It's strange that my version 2.0 seems OK on Windows 7.

Unless someone can suggest a fix, perhaps the improved charting in Libre Office would meet your needs?
Old 5th January 2013, 10:26 AM   #11
rshell@iafrica.com

rshell@iafrica.com is on a distinguished road

Quote:
howdy folks,

i need help.
thanks for your help.
-Jake
Dear Harvard Graphics users,
Some good news.
Windows 7 includes a virtual machine which is one hundred percent free. It emulates an XP and even updates XP
The virtual machine runs while you are working in Win 7 and you can flip back and forth. It will also save files to your Win 7 disks.
Harvard Graphics and Harvard Chart run flawlessly under this XP machine.
I use HG on a daily basis and am very glad Microsoft gave this program another lease of life.
Old 14th January 2013, 02:24 PM   #12
RichardS
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshell@iafrica.com View Post
Dear Harvard Graphics users,
Some good news.
Windows 7 includes a virtual machine which is one hundred percent free. It emulates an XP and even updates XP
The virtual machine runs while you are working in Win 7 and you can flip back and forth. It will also save files to your Win 7 disks.
Harvard Graphics and Harvard Chart run flawlessly under this XP machine.
I use HG on a daily basis and am very glad Microsoft gave this program another lease of life.
Thanks. That's good news. But are you referring to Windows 7 Home Premium (installed on most PCs sold to home users in UK), or perhaps to one of the more expensive versions of Win7, such as "Professional" "Business" "Ultimate" or "Enterprise"?
Old 14th January 2013, 03:41 PM   #13
rshell@iafrica.com

Smile Re: win7 & Harvard Graphics

Installing Windows Virtual PC on Windows 7 Home Editions

RATE THIS
Ben Armstrong [MSFT] 7 Jul 2010 11:25 PM 58

For a while now I have been seeing random people complaining about the fact that they cannot install Windows Virtual PC on Windows 7 Home Editions (Basic or Premium). This always struck me as odd – as I was sure that this was a supported configuration – but I did not reply as I did not have the time to try this configuration myself and confirm that it did in fact work.

I finally had the chance to try this out – and while I can confirm that running Windows Virtual PC on Windows 7 Home Editions is supported and does work – I also stumbled upon the probable cause of peoples confusion.

If you go to the official Virtual PC website (http://www.microsoft.com/virtualpc) and indicate that you are running Windows 7 Home – you will be (correctly) informed that you are not eligible to run Windows XP Mode:

Unfortunately this page does not explain that you are eligible to run Windows Virtual PC.

To clarify – “Windows Virtual PC” is the virtualization program that allows you to create and run virtual machines on Windows 7. “Windows XP Mode” is a free pre-configured Windows XP virtual machine. “Windows XP Mode” is not available for people running Windows 7 Home editions; but these users can download Windows Virtual PC and use a separate (fully licensed) copy of Windows XP to create their own Windows XP virtual machines and get all the functionality of Windows XP Mode.

You can download Windows Virtual PC directly from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...9-2545B08E11DD

And as you can see – on this page it does state that Windows 7 Home editions are supported:

Hopefully the main webpage can be updated to make this less confusing in the future.

Cheers,
Ben
Old 16th January 2013, 11:19 AM   #14
RichardS
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshell@iafrica.com View Post
Installing Windows Virtual PC on Windows 7 Home Editions

RATE THIS
Ben Armstrong [MSFT] 7 Jul 2010 11:25 PM 58

For a while now I have been seeing random people complaining about the fact that they cannot install Windows Virtual PC on Windows 7 Home Editions (Basic or Premium). This always struck me as odd – as I was sure that this was a supported configuration – but I did not reply as I did not have the time to try this configuration myself and confirm that it did in fact work.

I finally had the chance to try this out – and while I can confirm that running Windows Virtual PC on Windows 7 Home Editions is supported and does work – I also stumbled upon the probable cause of peoples confusion.

If you go to the official Virtual PC website (http://www.microsoft.com/virtualpc) and indicate that you are running Windows 7 Home – you will be (correctly) informed that you are not eligible to run Windows XP Mode:

Unfortunately this page does not explain that you are eligible to run Windows Virtual PC.

To clarify – “Windows Virtual PC” is the virtualization program that allows you to create and run virtual machines on Windows 7. “Windows XP Mode” is a free pre-configured Windows XP virtual machine. “Windows XP Mode” is not available for people running Windows 7 Home editions; but these users can download Windows Virtual PC and use a separate (fully licensed) copy of Windows XP to create their own Windows XP virtual machines and get all the functionality of Windows XP Mode.

You can download Windows Virtual PC directly from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...9-2545B08E11DD

And as you can see – on this page it does state that Windows 7 Home editions are supported:

Hopefully the main webpage can be updated to make this less confusing in the future.

Cheers,
Ben
Thanks. As you say, people with Windows 7 Home editions could not use Windows 7 XP Mode; presumably they would have to:

- Download MS Windows Virtual PC (or a third-party virtualiser such as VirtualBox or VMWare)
- Install a separate fully licensed copy of Windows XP as a "guest" OS on this virtualiser
- Install WinXP updates & security software
- Install the old program(s) onto this WinXP.

In UK, most PCs for home users are sold with MS Windows pre-installed, but with only an OEM license. This cannot (should not?) be used separately from the original PC.

But there is another possibility which might be enough for retrieving or editing a precious document:

Microsoft does offer "free" pre-configured time-limited downloads of various Windows operating systems. These usually run for 30 to 90 days before timing-out. These downloads can run on MS Virtual PC.
Old 16th January 2013, 11:16 PM   #15
rshell@iafrica.com

The first step would be to download the virtual machine. There is no Ram costs until you invoke it.
The XP instance is also free as far as I can understand.
I forget whether I simply used my own old XP disk. I do believe that MS might respond favourably to a request. They must have millions of complaints about XP programs which will not work with Win 7.
The virtual XP instance behaves exactly as another machine within the machine. It even updates itself.
The integration features work flawlessly.

Let us really try to bring back Harvard Graphics.
By the way Harvard Chart performs without complaint under windows seven.
Rob Shell
Old 23rd January 2013, 06:34 AM   #16
rshell@iafrica.com

Windows® Virtual PC is an optional component of the Windows 7 operating system that lets you run more than one operating system at the same time on one computer. One of the key benefits is that you can use Windows Virtual PC to migrate to Windows 7 while continuing to use applications that run on older versions of Windows, such as Windows XP or Windows Vista®.

If Windows Virtual PC is not located in All Programs on the Start menu, you can download it free of charge from the Windows Virtual PC home page (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=148103).

Note
Hardware requirements for Windows Virtual PC differ slightly from Windows 7. For more information about these requirements, see the Windows Virtual PC Evaluation Guide (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=140338). We recommend that you review the requirements before you try to install Windows Virtual PC because the computer must be configured correctly to install the component.

Windows Virtual PC basics
Windows Virtual PC enables you to run more than one operating system at a time on one computer by providing a virtualization environment. This environment uses virtual machines, each of which is like a separate physical computer. Each virtual machine emulates a physical computer and can run one 32-bit operating system, which is called a guest operating system. The physical computer and the Windows 7 operating system that runs directly on the computer (instead of in a virtual machine) together are called the host. This instance of Windows 7 is sometimes called the host operating system.

Windows Virtual PC offers two basic ways for you to interact with this virtual environment. You can:

Use applications directly from the host when those applications are actually installed in the guest operating system. This is useful when you just want to run these older applications and you do not need to interact with the guest operating system. When you use this option, the virtual machine environment is essentially hidden. The applications are called virtual applications and are available from the Start menu of the host. This option is supported for specific versions of Windows (which require an update) and is suited for business applications. For more information, see Publish and use virtual applications.

Interact directly with the guest operating system and the virtual machine. You can view the desktop of the guest operating system from a window, called the virtual machine window—or in full desktop mode, which is similar to a Remote Desktop client session. This is useful if you want to interact with the guest operating system. For example, you might do this to reproduce a scenario for troubleshooting or support purposes.

In either case, you will need a virtual machine. Your options are:

Set up Windows XP Mode. This option creates a preconfigured virtual machine with Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) already installed. After an easy set up, this environment is ready for you to customize with your own applications. Windows XP Mode is available for the 32-bit and 64-bit editions of Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Enterprise, and Windows 7 Ultimate. For more information, see Configuring and using Windows XP Mode.

Set up your own virtual machine. To do this, you create a virtual machine and install the guest operating system yourself. This option is useful if you do not want to run Windows XP SP3, or if you are using a version of Windows 7 for which Windows XP Mode is not available. For instructions, see Create a virtual machine and install a guest operating system. For information about the operating systems that are supported for use with Windows Virtual PC, see the Windows Virtual PC home page (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=148103).

Note
Windows XP Mode is the faster method because it requires fewer steps.

One of the benefits of using a virtual machine is that you can change the hardware faster and more easily than on a physical computer. For example, to add or remove a network adapter or change the amount of memory, you shut down the virtual machine and modify a setting. There is no need to open a computer case. For more information, see Configuring a virtual machine.

Windows Virtual PC includes the Integration Components package, which provides features that improve the integration between the virtual environment and the physical computer. For more information, see About integration features.

See Also
Using a virtual machine
About virtual hard disks
Modify a virtual hard disk
Troubleshooting Windows Virtual PC
Resources for Windows Virtual PC
Remove Windows XP Mode, virtual machines, or Windows Virtual PC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------