Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Older Software > ImpactPlus / 3DPlus

Notices

ImpactPlus / 3DPlus ImpactPlus / 3DPlus

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th March 2010, 10:08 PM   #41
deekaybe
Regular Member
 
deekaybe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Belgium
Posts: 71
deekaybe is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Open source it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlnz View Post
...doesn't the Impact Plus software have similarities with Draw Plus? Comments from the more knowledgeable would be appreciated.
Eric,

DrawPlus is 2D vectoriel drawing. There is a kind of pseudo 3D built in DrawPlus, but the drawing is still done in layered 2D.
ImpactPlus is real 3D, meaning that you don't draw, but you model, you work with 3D objects that you place in 3D space using a 3D coordinate system and you look at your scene using a camera that you can also move and rotate as you wish.

Have a look at an animation I have done using ImpactPlus:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deekayb...7610922594114/
Doing the same with DrawPlus is almost impossible (unless you draw of course each frame separately, calculating manually how each face of each cube should look like).

I used also IP to generate the background in the following animation (IP is 3D, so perspective is not an issue). The characters are drawn using DrawPlus and the animation itself has been made in MoviePlus, using different layers.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deekaybe/4090059077/

I hope this gives you a better idea about the differences between ImpactPlus and DrawPlus.

Another difference: DrawPlus is still developed and supported by Serif, ImpactPlus is dead. So if you are looking for 3D, I suggest you look for an alternative. But if I remember well, this was the subject of this thread, isn't it?
deekaybe is offline  
Old 27th March 2010, 11:21 PM   #42
omirp
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: South London
Posts: 16
omirp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Open source it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deekaybe View Post
Hi Omirp.
Open the help from the ImpactPlus main menu and go to the chapter "How to Work with Objects". The sub-chapter "Building your own objects" tells you everything you need to know about the 3D Workshop.

Don't be afraid to try things, it is so that you will learn. It was by doing some "wrong" manipulations that I discovered very nice ImpactPlus features.
Hi deekaybe.
Thanks for your reply.
I tried looking for your refs under "Start from Scratch"
But no luck. I tried "Tutorials" under Help. There I found a ref to 3D workshop in two places.1)Break out of the box and 2)Done to a turn.They are the only two I could find with any mention of 3D workshop.
One thing I found strange working with objects is that I can`t place things on to surfaces.Objects go through objects,or go behind them. How on earth do you get them to placed or come in front of other objects?
omirp
omirp is offline  
Old 28th March 2010, 09:34 PM   #43
deekaybe
Regular Member
 
deekaybe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Belgium
Posts: 71
deekaybe is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Open source it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omirp View Post
Hi deekaybe.
Thanks for your reply.
I tried looking for your refs under "Start from Scratch"
But no luck. I tried "Tutorials" under Help. There I found a ref to 3D workshop in two places.1)Break out of the box and 2)Done to a turn.They are the only two I could find with any mention of 3D workshop.
One thing I found strange working with objects is that I can`t place things on to surfaces.Objects go through objects,or go behind them. How on earth do you get them to placed or come in front of other objects?
omirp
Hi Omirp.

The section I was talking about is not is tutorials, but in the on-line Help: open IP, start a project from scratch, once in the user interface, see the last point in the main menu called "Help". Open the "Impact Plus Help" and look for the section I mentionned.

For your second question, you are working in a 3D space while you are looking at it with a camera. So what is front, what is back, what is up... It depends how you place the camera.
I once wrote a tutorial for beginners, perhaps it will answer some of your questions. Please read the pages in the following order:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deekayb...7607476773073/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deekayb...7607476773073/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deekayb...7607476773073/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deekayb...7607476773073/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deekayb...7607476773073/
deekaybe is offline  
Old 29th March 2010, 09:55 PM   #44
omirp
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: South London
Posts: 16
omirp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Open source it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deekaybe View Post
Hi Omirp.

The section I was talking about is not is tutorials, but in the on-line Help: open IP, start a project from scratch, once in the user interface, see the last point in the main menu called "Help". Open the "Impact Plus Help" and look for the section I mentionned.

For your second question, you are working in a 3D space while you are looking at it with a camera. So what is front, what is back, what is up... It depends how you place the camera.
I once wrote a tutorial for beginners, perhaps it will answer some of your questions. Please read the pages in the following order:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deekayb...7607476773073/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deekayb...7607476773073/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deekayb...7607476773073/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deekayb...7607476773073/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deekayb...7607476773073/
Hi deekaybe.
I`ve already had a go trying to get into "Impact Plus Help" When I do another window comes up with "Why can`t I get help from this program?"It then informs me that "the help format was not included in Windows Vista. For more info go to Windows Help Program(WinHlp32.exe) on the MicroSoft support website" and down load the program. I have done this,that is I`ve down loaded it. But like all my computing efforts,it came to nothing---it dosen`t work. So there you have it,I still can`t get to the help pages. I think you have said that you run Vista,have you had trouble with it?
I`ve not had a look at your links as yet,thankyou very much for them.When I get time I`ll go over them.
omirp
omirp is offline  
Old 29th March 2010, 10:39 PM   #45
deekaybe
Regular Member
 
deekaybe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Belgium
Posts: 71
deekaybe is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Open source it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omirp View Post
But like all my computing efforts,it came to nothing---it dosen`t work
Hi Omirp.
I have indeed Vista, but I always looked at the help on my old XP PC. I must say that IP often crashes on Vista, so I don't use it on that operating system.
I tried it out now and had like you to install the special support for help. And like you, I had to notice that some script is not running, so you can't access the table of content. Don't think you have a problem with PCs, it is Microsoft that loves inventing new things to confuse us.

So you can try the following:
open this link: http://www.serif.com/community/productmanuals.asp
There, you can download the IP5 manual in PDF format. You will find the same information than in the help. The 3D workshop is described starting at page 77.
deekaybe is offline  
Old 1st April 2010, 10:02 PM   #46
omirp
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: South London
Posts: 16
omirp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Open source it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deekaybe View Post
Hi Omirp.
I have indeed Vista, but I always looked at the help on my old XP PC. I must say that IP often crashes on Vista, so I don't use it on that operating system.
I tried it out now and had like you to install the special support for help. And like you, I had to notice that some script is not running, so you can't access the table of content. Don't think you have a problem with PCs, it is Microsoft that loves inventing new things to confuse us.

So you can try the following:
open this link: http://www.serif.com/community/productmanuals.asp
There, you can download the IP5 manual in PDF format. You will find the same information than in the help. The 3D workshop is described starting at page 77.
Thanks for your reply,deekaybe.
In my last mail to you I bemoaned the fact that my computing efforts come to nothing. Well I tried again to down load a program from MicroSoft to add a help section to IP.And this time it worked!!.I can now click on the "Help" button and all is clear.Now I can read the items you mentioned.
I`ve never had IP crash on Vista in fact it`s very stable.
omirp
omirp is offline  
Old 19th November 2010, 05:54 PM   #47
mrphantuan
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3
mrphantuan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Open source it!

I still have the above mentioned Amiga 500+ with a Phillips monitor, extra drive, controllers etc plus a box full of boxed games, cover disks from mags and extras. I will never part with it but it would all probably fetch under a tenner on EBay.
mrphantuan is offline  
Old 19th November 2010, 06:09 PM   #48
mjh
The one and only mjh
 
mjh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 74,639
mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: Open source it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphantuan View Post
I still have the above mentioned Amiga 500+ with a Phillips monitor, extra drive, controllers etc plus a box full of boxed games, cover disks from mags and extras. I will never part with it but it would all probably fetch under a tenner on EBay.

Hi and welcome to the Serif forums,

Advertising is nit allowed so please remove the links in your sig as those sites were not made with a Serif app.
__________________
---------------
T9900, 8 GB RAM, 512 vidram, WIN 7 Ult 64-bit - Chrome
mjh is offline  
Old 19th November 2010, 06:14 PM   #49
mrphantuan
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3
mrphantuan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Open source it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh View Post
Hi and welcome to the Serif forums,

Advertising is nit allowed so please remove the links in your sig as those sites were not made with a Serif app.
Thanks , I will remove link now!...

Last edited by mrphantuan; 24th May 2011 at 09:07 AM.
mrphantuan is offline  
Old 19th November 2010, 10:37 PM   #50
omirp
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: South London
Posts: 16
omirp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Open source it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphantuan View Post
I still have the above mentioned Amiga 500+ with a Phillips monitor, extra drive, controllers etc plus a box full of boxed games, cover disks from mags and extras. I will never part with it but it would all probably fetch under a tenner on EBay.
Hi mrphantuan.
I too have both my Amigas`. One is a 500+ the other a 1200. The 500+ came with lots of games which I`ve never played,just not interested in them.The only thing I haven`t got for these computers is a monitor,so I couldn`t use them if I tried.
And as you say I would only get a tenner for the lot.
on "ebay"
omirp.
omirp is offline  
Old 2nd January 2011, 08:09 PM   #51
mrphantuan
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3
mrphantuan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Open source it!

Hi deekaybe.
Thanks for your reply.
I tried looking for your refs under "Start from Scratch"
But no luck. I tried "Tutorials" under Help. There I found a ref to 3D workshop in two places.1)Break out of the box and 2)Done to a turn.They are the only two I could find with any mention of 3D workshop.
One thing I found strange working with objects is that I can`t place things on to surfaces.Objects go through objects,or go behind them. How on earth do you get them to placed or come in front of other objects?
omirp
mrphantuan is offline  
Old 3rd January 2011, 11:25 PM   #52
deekaybe
Regular Member
 
deekaybe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Belgium
Posts: 71
deekaybe is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Open source it!

Hi mrphantuan.

As already mentioned, you best get the ImpactPlus PDF document at: http://www.serif.com/community/productmanuals.asp
The 3D workshop is described starting at page 77.

Objects go indeed through each other. This is a way to create complex shapes. For example, take a big sphere and a small one. Now, place the small one so that it is half inside the big sphere and half outside. You have now the basic for a head with a nose...
Other 3D applications have a collision detection system that allows you to easily place a shape on another surface. As soon as the object will hit the surface, it will stop moving. IP doesn't have this. So you have to take care by yourself that the object seems to be on the surface. I have a few methods for this:
- Calculate: the coordinates of objects or groups are the ones of the center of the object or group. As an example, say we want to place a sphere on a cube. The cube has a height of 4 and an Y coordinate of 0, then the surface where the sphere should be placed is at coordinate 2. If the sphere has a height of 2, it center (or Y coordinate) should be placed on 3 (1 being the center of the sphere, plus 2 being the Y coordinate of the surface).
- Visual placement: Again, take our example of the cube and the sphere. Place the cube where you want and move the sphere so that it is at the top of the cube. It doesn't matter if the sphere is cutting or not the surface of the cube. Then select the sphere. Use the Y coordinate input box now to move the sphere up or down (click on the small up/down arrows to change the value in the input box. You see the object moving while the value is changing). Move the sphere until you see the boundary box around the sphere appearing.

You can find these methods in the following tutorial:
I once wrote a tutorial for beginners, perhaps it will answer some of your questions. Please read the pages in the following order:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deekayb...7607476773073/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deekayb...7607476773073/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deekayb...7607476773073/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deekayb...7607476773073/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deekayb...7607476773073/

Hope this answers a little bit your questions?
deekaybe is offline  
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:17 AM.