Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Older Software > ImpactPlus / 3DPlus

Notices

ImpactPlus / 3DPlus ImpactPlus / 3DPlus

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th August 2010, 09:42 PM   #1
Jim B.
Master
 
Jim B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10,706
Jim B. will become famous soon enough
Default I Gotta Wonder.

I gotta wonder what is going on.

ImpactPlus 5 was released in May 2004 It has never had a patch or update. It has recently been discontinued by Serif.

In the past several months, it seems like there have been more posts in the IP forum than in the previous years, combined.
__________________
Jim B. :> )

Picture taking. It's a snap!

Good photography. It's complicated.
Jim B. is offline  
Old 13th August 2010, 08:19 AM   #2
gerrycud
Senior Member
 
gerrycud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 2,503
gerrycud is a jewel in the roughgerrycud is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: I Gotta Wonder.

You gotta problem with that?
__________________
Gerry C
Intel Core i5 3.20 Ghz, 12 gig RAM, Windows 10 64 bit
gerrycud is offline  
Old 13th August 2010, 08:54 AM   #3
Jim B.
Master
 
Jim B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10,706
Jim B. will become famous soon enough
Default Re: I Gotta Wonder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrycud View Post
You gotta problem with that?
Nope, no problem a'tall, y'all.

But maybe if this level of activity had occurred during those years, maybe IP would have been updated, and maybe even continued by Serif. Maybe.
__________________
Jim B. :> )

Picture taking. It's a snap!

Good photography. It's complicated.
Jim B. is offline  
Old 13th August 2010, 12:16 PM   #4
civiliza
Advanced Member
 
civiliza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 726
civiliza is well on the road to greatness
Default Re: I Gotta Wonder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
I gotta wonder what is going on.

ImpactPlus 5 was released in May 2004 It has never had a patch or update. It has recently been discontinued by Serif.

In the past several months, it seems like there have been more posts in the IP forum than in the previous years, combined.
I don't know about Gerry, but I'm a Jonny-Come-Lately to ImpactPlus, having only bought ImpactPlus 5 back in May of last year. It is doubly disconcerting to discover that not only has noone at Serif bitten on any of my suggested improvements, but it has, as you say, recently been discontinued.

If only they had effectively included the DrawPlus front end in the 2D workshop, and introduced the ability to subtract one 3D shape from another, this could have gone on to bigger and better things.

For what it matters, the only reason I haven't posted more suggested improvements on the Wish List is that the glaring ommissions have already been posted there. Well, that's not strictly true, it's rather idiosynchratic interface is rather offputting compared with DrawPlus, and I'm only just getting around to hidden gems like the Particle Workshop.

Last edited by civiliza; 13th August 2010 at 12:30 PM.
civiliza is offline  
Old 13th August 2010, 05:33 PM   #5
gerrycud
Senior Member
 
gerrycud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 2,503
gerrycud is a jewel in the roughgerrycud is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: I Gotta Wonder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civiliza View Post
I don't know about Gerry, but I'm a Jonny-Come-Lately to ImpactPlus, having only bought ImpactPlus 5 back in May of last year. It is doubly disconcerting to discover that not only has noone at Serif bitten on any of my suggested improvements, but it has, as you say, recently been discontinued.

If only they had effectively included the DrawPlus front end in the 2D workshop, and introduced the ability to subtract one 3D shape from another, this could have gone on to bigger and better things.

For what it matters, the only reason I haven't posted more suggested improvements on the Wish List is that the glaring ommissions have already been posted there. Well, that's not strictly true, it's rather idiosynchratic interface is rather offputting compared with DrawPlus, and I'm only just getting around to hidden gems like the Particle Workshop.
I agree. IP does look like it would have had potential. It's a little simplistic to me after using more high end 3D programs, but if it were combined with say MoviePlus as a special effects lab, it would be pretty nice. I know I've read comments to that effect on this forum.
__________________
Gerry C
Intel Core i5 3.20 Ghz, 12 gig RAM, Windows 10 64 bit
gerrycud is offline  
Old 13th August 2010, 08:38 PM   #6
Jim B.
Master
 
Jim B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10,706
Jim B. will become famous soon enough
Default Re: I Gotta Wonder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrycud View Post
I agree. IP does look like it would have had potential. It's a little simplistic to me after using more high end 3D programs, but if it were combined with say MoviePlus as a special effects lab, it would be pretty nice. I know I've read comments to that effect on this forum.
Actually, IIRC, using IP as a "front end" (menu maker) and other effects for MoviePlus was one of the things that was intended for IP.

At the time, IP seemed like it was the replacement for 3DPlus which was discontinued.

I bought IP. I installed it. I ran it. I looked at the default initial screen. I couldn't make sense out of what I was seeing, and tinkering with it got me nowhere. I left IP alone with the intention of reading the user's guide and doing the tutorials, but never did. I never found something I needed to do that I couldn't do in one of Serif's other (or some other company's) programs, so I never bothered to learn/use IP. I uninstalled it just a few months ago, having never done a project with it.
__________________
Jim B. :> )

Picture taking. It's a snap!

Good photography. It's complicated.
Jim B. is offline  
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Held off until now, but gotta ask steveb WebPlus 10 18th January 2009 03:20 PM
PanoPlus - Gotta Luv It! Jim B. PanoramaPlus 1 2nd April 2006 03:36 PM
I Just Gotta Know... D. Waschow PagePlus 9 13th October 2005 10:21 AM
So what's a guy gotta do? Steve ImpactPlus / 3DPlus 4 16th October 2003 11:14 AM
Marketing, Ya Gotta Love'em Jim B. General 13 22nd February 2002 02:02 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:18 PM.