Notices

ImpactPlus / 3DPlus ImpactPlus / 3DPlus

Old 12th August 2010, 09:42 PM   #1
Jim B.
Master

Jim B. will become famous soon enough
Default I Gotta Wonder.

I gotta wonder what is going on.

ImpactPlus 5 was released in May 2004 It has never had a patch or update. It has recently been discontinued by Serif.

In the past several months, it seems like there have been more posts in the IP forum than in the previous years, combined.

Picture taking. It's a snap!

Good photography. It's complicated.
Old 13th August 2010, 08:19 AM   #2
gerrycud

gerrycud is a jewel in the roughgerrycud is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: I Gotta Wonder.

You gotta problem with that?
Old 13th August 2010, 08:54 AM   #3
Jim B.
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrycud View Post
You gotta problem with that?
Nope, no problem a'tall, y'all.

But maybe if this level of activity had occurred during those years, maybe IP would have been updated, and maybe even continued by Serif. Maybe.

Old 13th August 2010, 12:16 PM   #4
civiliza
Advanced Member

civiliza is well on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
I gotta wonder what is going on.

ImpactPlus 5 was released in May 2004 It has never had a patch or update. It has recently been discontinued by Serif.

In the past several months, it seems like there have been more posts in the IP forum than in the previous years, combined.
I don't know about Gerry, but I'm a Jonny-Come-Lately to ImpactPlus, having only bought ImpactPlus 5 back in May of last year. It is doubly disconcerting to discover that not only has noone at Serif bitten on any of my suggested improvements, but it has, as you say, recently been discontinued.

If only they had effectively included the DrawPlus front end in the 2D workshop, and introduced the ability to subtract one 3D shape from another, this could have gone on to bigger and better things.

For what it matters, the only reason I haven't posted more suggested improvements on the Wish List is that the glaring ommissions have already been posted there. Well, that's not strictly true, it's rather idiosynchratic interface is rather offputting compared with DrawPlus, and I'm only just getting around to hidden gems like the Particle Workshop.

Last edited by civiliza; 13th August 2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 13th August 2010, 05:33 PM   #5
gerrycud

gerrycud is a jewel in the roughgerrycud is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by civiliza View Post
I don't know about Gerry, but I'm a Jonny-Come-Lately to ImpactPlus, having only bought ImpactPlus 5 back in May of last year. It is doubly disconcerting to discover that not only has noone at Serif bitten on any of my suggested improvements, but it has, as you say, recently been discontinued.

If only they had effectively included the DrawPlus front end in the 2D workshop, and introduced the ability to subtract one 3D shape from another, this could have gone on to bigger and better things.

For what it matters, the only reason I haven't posted more suggested improvements on the Wish List is that the glaring ommissions have already been posted there. Well, that's not strictly true, it's rather idiosynchratic interface is rather offputting compared with DrawPlus, and I'm only just getting around to hidden gems like the Particle Workshop.
I agree. IP does look like it would have had potential. It's a little simplistic to me after using more high end 3D programs, but if it were combined with say MoviePlus as a special effects lab, it would be pretty nice. I know I've read comments to that effect on this forum.
Old 13th August 2010, 08:38 PM   #6
Jim B.
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrycud View Post
I agree. IP does look like it would have had potential. It's a little simplistic to me after using more high end 3D programs, but if it were combined with say MoviePlus as a special effects lab, it would be pretty nice. I know I've read comments to that effect on this forum.
Actually, IIRC, using IP as a "front end" (menu maker) and other effects for MoviePlus was one of the things that was intended for IP.

At the time, IP seemed like it was the replacement for 3DPlus which was discontinued.

I bought IP. I installed it. I ran it. I looked at the default initial screen. I couldn't make sense out of what I was seeing, and tinkering with it got me nowhere. I left IP alone with the intention of reading the user's guide and doing the tutorials, but never did. I never found something I needed to do that I couldn't do in one of Serif's other (or some other company's) programs, so I never bothered to learn/use IP. I uninstalled it just a few months ago, having never done a project with it.