Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Photos and Movies > MoviePlus

Notices

MoviePlus Questions about using MoviePlus for video editing

Old 27th May 2014, 05:37 PM   #1
Quilly

Quilly is on a distinguished road
Default I cannot save an edited MP4

I am on Windows 8.1 using Movieplus X6

I cannot save an edited MP4, it always saves the unedited file.

I drag the file into the “Import Media, then drag into the time line, click on a frame which brings up Trim then click on multi trim, move to the place I want to remove about 3 minutes into the video. Then click [ move to the end of the part I want to remove the click ] then click on the dust bin.

I try to click on OK but it is greyed out, but if I click on TRIM and the back on MULTI TRIM the greyed OK is back. Then click OK.

{ I use Multi Trim because I understand TRIM is just for cutting bits off the end of videos}

Then Export / File / MP4 / next / General 1080p Pal 16:9 / Finish / and it as exported the unedited file why what am I doing wrong?

I just open MoviePlus X6 to check what I have written, and it said MoviePlus X6 was not registered which is the first thing I did before trying to get on this site

Quilly
Old 27th May 2014, 07:07 PM   #2
RichardS
Master

RichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant future
Default Re: I cannot save an edited MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilly View Post
I am on Windows 8.1 using Movieplus X6

I cannot save an edited MP4, it always saves the unedited file.

I drag the file into the “Import Media, then drag into the time line, click on a frame which brings up Trim then click on multi trim, move to the place I want to remove about 3 minutes into the video. Then click [ move to the end of the part I want to remove the click ] then click on the dust bin.

I try to click on OK but it is greyed out, but if I click on TRIM and the back on MULTI TRIM the greyed OK is back. Then click OK.

{ I use Multi Trim because I understand TRIM is just for cutting bits off the end of videos}

Then Export / File / MP4 / next / General 1080p Pal 16:9 / Finish / and it as exported the unedited file why what am I doing wrong?

I just open MoviePlus X6 to check what I have written, and it said MoviePlus X6 was not registered which is the first thing I did before trying to get on this site

Quilly
The Trim tools do work, but I prefer to edit directly on the timeline:

- Turn "Rippling" ON
- Click to select the clip you want to edit;
- Move the time-marker to the beginning of your cut;
- Click "s" for "split."
- Move the time-marker to the end of the cut;
- Click "i" for "in point."

As if by magic, the unwanted section will be removed and the gap will be closed.
32-bit Win10 Pro 14946, AMD64 3200+, 2GB RAM, Bodged ATI Video & AC97 Audio drivers.
64-bit (3GB) & 32-bit (2GB) Win10 Pro 16170, on VirtualBox, 2 CPU cores, 128MB video

Last edited by RichardS; 29th May 2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old 29th May 2014, 03:06 PM   #3
Quilly

Hi Richard

Thanks for getting back to me

I tried what you said I don't know what I was doing wrong but it still did not work?

I tried a number of time but it did not work right.

I have downloaded Virtualdub Portable freeware which did the job I wanted, but having paid for MoviePlus I mean to use it

Any idea what I was doing wrong

Quilly
Old 29th May 2014, 03:34 PM   #4
RichardS
Master

RichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant future

Quote:
Hi Richard

Thanks for getting back to me

I tried what you said I don't know what I was doing wrong but it still did not work?

I tried a number of time but it did not work right.

---

Any idea what I was doing wrong

Quilly
See the extra line I've added above in red.

Quote:
- Click to select the clip you want to edit;
Too obvious to people who are familiar with MoviePlus; not always obvious to new users: You must tell the program which clip or track you want to edit!
32-bit Win10 Pro 14946, AMD64 3200+, 2GB RAM, Bodged ATI Video & AC97 Audio drivers.
64-bit (3GB) & 32-bit (2GB) Win10 Pro 16170, on VirtualBox, 2 CPU cores, 128MB video
Old 31st May 2014, 05:25 PM   #5
Quilly

Hi Richard

I must be doing something else wrong so here is what I do

1 Open MoviePlus X6
2 Find file drag and drop into Import Media
3 Drag and drop into the TimeLines Video Track and Audio Track
4 Make sure that Ripping is high lighted
Question Under Ripping there is a menu with 4 setting the one that is ticked is number 1 is this right?
5 If I click on the first picture and Click to select the clip I want to edit I get the TRIM window open?
6 I tried click Ripping / moved to start of cut / clicked Marker Start / moved to end of cut the clicked on the Spilt next to trim but it had not cut it out?
7 I clicked the cut below view top tool bar it left the piece I wanted to cut and cut the piec I wanted to keep

Sorry for being a pain but Quilly
Old 31st May 2014, 06:15 PM   #6
RichardS
Master

Quote:
Hi Richard

I must be doing something else wrong so here is what I do

1 Open MoviePlus X6
2 Find file drag and drop into Import Media
3 Drag and drop into the TimeLines Video Track and Audio Track
4 Make sure that Ripping is high lighted
Question Under Ripping there is a menu with 4 setting the one that is ticked is number 1 is this right?
5 If I click on the first picture and Click to select the clip I want to edit I get the TRIM window open?
6 I tried click Ripping / moved to start of cut / clicked Marker Start / moved to end of cut the clicked on the Spilt next to trim but it had not cut it out?
7 I clicked the cut below view top tool bar it left the piece I wanted to cut and cut the piec I wanted to keep

Sorry for being a pain but Quilly
Not sure I completely understand:

The editing tools such as "split" are for editing video & audio clips. If you want to change the duration of eg. a photo, change that via its "properties" panel.

- Normally, I use the fourth Rippling option which affects the whole timeline. But different people prefer different options.
- When you "split" a track by typing "s" or using the scissor button, this just divides the track at the position of the time marker. It does not delete anything.
- To delete a section, you need to make a second cut, then delete the section between the cuts.
- Once the section has been deleted, if Rippling was turned ON, Rippling will move everything to the right of the deleted section so as to close the gap.

That is the obvious way to edit.
However, there is a slightly quicker way:

Typing "i" sets the "in-point" or start of a clip;
Typing "o" sets the "out-point" or end of a clip;

- So having split the clip at the beginning of the section you want to delete, to make two clips;
- Move the time marker to the end of the section you want to remove and type "i"

This will delete everything in the second part of the clip which was before this point. If Rippling was turned ON, the remainder of this second clip will move left to fill the gap.

Note. This is almost instant, so it may not be obvious what has happened. Try it with a single video clip until you are confident.

Warning: MoviePlus has two completely different scissor buttons: The one on the top menu is "Cut" (ie. delete); the one above the timeline is "Split."
Old 1st June 2014, 03:16 PM   #7
Albert Ross

Albert Ross has a spectacular aura about

For those of us who have SD based camcorders, the trim window is completely unnecessary. The only reason I can see for it is to enable users of tape based camcorders to create separate clips for each scene, and thus making it easier to edit.

Quilly, you say that you, 'drag the file', this would imply to me that the file is just one long file containing the whole video, rather than lots of separate files which an SD card would generate. IF that is the case, you will need to double click on the file in the media pane to open up the infamous trim window, select 'multi-trim', and allow the program to create the separate clips for you. Depending on the length of the file, it could take anything from 10 minutes to one hour or more.

When this operation is complete, you will have many clips in the media pane which you will be able to inspect and decide what to do with - drag each one down to the timeline one at a time to examine it.

Play the clip until you are happy how to trim it.

To use the first portion and delete the last I generally play the clip until the the portion I want is over and then type 'o' on the keyboard. If it's the last portion that you need then play the clip and stop it a fraction before the piece you need, and this time press, 'i' on the keyboard.

I hope you get my drift - it does sound more complicated than it actually is.

Best of luck.
Old 1st June 2014, 04:13 PM   #8
Quilly

Hi Both

I manage to do it

But I had do edit the first part again, because the first part and the piece I wanted to remove as still one piece, some I re-edited that part then joined the first piece to the third piece and it was what I wanted.

I think I will just keep Movie Plus X6 for just joining small pieces together, it is a lot easier to do a straight cut and have one video and quicker with Virtualdub Portable freeware.

Thank you both very much for spending you time trying to sort me out.

Quilly
Old 1st June 2014, 05:28 PM   #9
RichardS
Master

Quote:
Hi Both

I manage to do it

But I had do edit the first part again, because the first part and the piece I wanted to remove as still one piece, some I re-edited that part then joined the first piece to the third piece and it was what I wanted.

I think I will just keep Movie Plus X6 for just joining small pieces together, it is a lot easier to do a straight cut and have one video and quicker with Virtualdub Portable freeware.

Thank you both very much for spending you time trying to sort me out.

Quilly
Thanks. Glad you have got it to work. I hope you come to like MoviePlus.