CraftArtist Questions about using CraftArtist for digital crafting

Old 18th March 2014, 06:22 PM   #1
kr236rk

kr236rk is on a distinguished road
Angry CraftArtist 2 has stopped :(

Hi,

When I open CA2 I get the following two pop-ups telling me

1. Serif CraftArtist has stopped working and

2. Serif CraftArtist has stopped. Close Progam.

I contacted Serif Technical who seemed nonplussed and requested more information. I sent them the screenshots but there has been silence since

Help please - this has been a great programme but has suddenly gone belly up. It was a download so I can't reinstall it manually (CD), can it be re-downloaded please?

Any other advice?

Many thanks,

Ric
Old 18th March 2014, 06:26 PM   #2
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: CraftArtist 2 has stopped :(

If you downloaded it, you can reinstall it from the downloaded installer. You will have to contact Customer Services if you didn't keep a backup.

Hold down the Ctrl Key while launching the program from its Windows shortcut to reset it to its default settings.
Old 18th March 2014, 09:03 PM   #3
kr236rk

Thumbs up Re: CraftArtist 2 has stopped :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
If you downloaded it, you can reinstall it from the downloaded installer. You will have to contact Customer Services if you didn't keep a backup.

Hold down the Ctrl Key while launching the program from its Windows shortcut to reset it to its default settings.
Thank you,

Have submitted a ticket to Customer Services outlining the problem and requesting guidance for the re-installation. I saved all the original download confirmation emails so have the original download link + account number and so forth.

What do you specifically mean by 'back up' in the context of CraftArtist 2 please?

Thanks again.
Old 18th March 2014, 09:27 PM   #4
emmrecs

emmrecs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr236rk View Post
Thank you,

What do you specifically mean by 'back up' in the context of CraftArtist 2 please?

Thanks again.
In this context Bhikku Pesala is referring to the fact that you should have kept a (back-up) copy of the original installation file so that, as may be necessary now, you can reinstall the software without having to think about re-downloading that installation file (which may not be possible.)
Old 18th March 2014, 10:16 PM   #5
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

As emmrecs said. Even if you download a freeware like OpenOffice, it is advisable to keep a backup. Not only does it take a long time to download again, it costs the provider bandwidth quite unnecessarily and wastes your time. Copy an executable or msi file to a USB stick or burning it to a DVD costs next to nothing, and takes only a few seconds (the computer does the rest automatically).

I have taken to copying my big applications like PagePlus, WebPlus, and DrawPlus from the DVDs that I have to my hard drive, just for my own convenience. Even though I have the DVD versions, it is still quicker to reinstall them if necessary using the installation files on the Hard Disk. It only takes about 8 Gbytes and I have 316 Gbytes of free space remaining.
Old 19th March 2014, 12:07 AM   #6
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
I have taken to copying my big applications like PagePlus, WebPlus, and DrawPlus from the DVDs that I have to my hard drive, just for my own convenience. Even though I have the DVD versions, it is still quicker to reinstall them if necessary using the installation files on the Hard Disk.
Same here. Not only is it quicker, but it's also quieter! I have a separate folder for each application, and I use the product key as the folder name so that this vital piece of information is readily to hand when required.

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 19th March 2014, 02:14 AM   #7
kr236rk

Thanks and will update.

I have extensively backed things up in the past (have a vast cd library) but every time I have needed to activate a lost programme from a disc copy I find I am staring at a file shell. Possibly I have been backing up the wrong file types?
Old 19th March 2014, 05:00 PM   #8
alspar

alspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks and will update.

I have extensively backed things up in the past (have a vast cd library) but every time I have needed to activate a lost programme from a disc copy I find I am staring at a file shell. Possibly I have been backing up the wrong file types?
There are really three types of backup:

First, the all important, backup all your data files to another device - much of this content is irreplaceable, like your photos.

Second, the program installation files and product keys etc., - mine go on a USB Hard Drive, even when I have the disks.

Third, the computer system itself - all data, programs AND a working Windows OS - I image the whole hard drive on a regular basis. Which means I can recover, with minimum loss, the whole system even if the hard drive itself fails - it takes currently on this machine about 16 minutes once the new hard drive is installed - and no re-installation of anything, not even Windows.

I even have an image of the Data Backup and Program Installation USB Hard Drives.
Old 19th March 2014, 09:26 PM   #9
kr236rk

Question Re: CraftArtist 2 has stopped :(

Thanks Alan,

I keep several external hard drives for backup (photos, data) but I have never cloned an OS or software program.

But right now I'd like to know how to copy the new CraftArtist to disc (dvd) as backup. I imagine I will have

1. the download in my download folder (exe file?) and

2. the unzipped program on my C drive.

Will I copy these to disc as backup please?

Thanks again.
Old 19th March 2014, 09:30 PM   #10
alspar

alspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks Alan,

I keep several external hard drives for backup (photos, data) but I have never cloned an OS or software program.

But right now I'd like to know how to copy the new CraftArtist to disc (dvd) as backup. I imagine I will have

Thanks again.
You only need to copy the downloaded exe installer file to another device - when run again it will unzip and install as previously.
Old 19th March 2014, 09:34 PM   #11
kr236rk

Thumbs up Re: CraftArtist 2 has stopped :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by alspar View Post
You only need to copy the downloaded exe installer file to another device - when run again it will unzip and install as previously.
That is most helpful - thank you!
Old 19th March 2014, 09:35 PM   #12
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Quote:
I'd like to know how to copy the new CraftArtist to disc (dvd) as backup. I imagine I will have

Thanks again.
You only need to copy the downloaded *.exe file. Running that will extract the contents to a folder, then run setup.exe. You can copy it back to the hard drive before running it — or you can run it from the backup medium, and just choose a folder on your hard disk to which to extract the contents.

However, if space on the backup medium is not an issue, you could instead copy the entire folder as it is, and run setup.exe directly from Windows Explorer when you need to install the program again.
Old 20th March 2014, 12:13 AM   #13
kr236rk

Lightbulb Re: CraftArtist 2 has stopped :(

Quote:
You only need to copy the downloaded *.exe file...
Many thanks. So I can save the download to a dvd 4.7GB disc (backup), then unzip from there afterwards?

Btw, should I delete the old CraftArtist2 from my hard drive before I install its replacement?
Old 20th March 2014, 11:47 PM   #14
kr236rk

Thumbs up CraftArtist 2 has started :)

Update.

In the end I did need to delete the old program because the subsequent download would not download. After I restarted, after deleting CA2, the download went smoothly I made a quick CA2 project and printed it out just to check all was OK.

I then copied everything including the exe file to disc / dvd and now have it all as back-up

Many thanks!!
Old 21st March 2014, 08:32 AM   #15
Meg

Meg has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: CraftArtist 2 has started :)

Quote:
Update.

In the end I did need to delete the old program because the subsequent download would not download. After I restarted, after deleting CA2, the download went smoothly I made a quick CA2 project and printed it out just to check all was OK.

I then copied everything including the exe file to disc / dvd and now have it all as back-up

Many thanks!!
Glad to hear you got it sorted and thanks for letting us know.