Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > WebPlus

Notices

WebPlus Questions about using WebPlus for website design

Old 28th August 2012, 04:29 PM   #1
mconway

mconway is on a distinguished road
Default deleted wpp files and syncing on web server

I accidently had two source files for our website and I deleted the one that was actually the 'master' to the site I had uploaded. I was able to download the site to the 'extra' file and have repaired most of the pages that I have uploaded one by one. BUT I have a large group of text files online that will be a headache to reformat and a page with many audio links. If I sync this downloaded site with the one on the webserver is that going to knock out files on the server that I don't include in the upload from my computer? i.e. a page with text outlines is on the server but I don't include it when I sync site is it going to knock off the outline page? I hopw someone can make sense of this. and yes, I have it all backed up now.
Old 28th August 2012, 04:32 PM   #2
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: deleted wpp files and syncing on web server

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconway View Post
I accidently had two source files for our website and I deleted the one that was actually the 'master' to the site I had uploaded. I was able to download the site to the 'extra' file and have repaired most of the pages that I have uploaded one by one. BUT I have a large group of text files online that will be a headache to reformat and a page with many audio links. If I sync this downloaded site with the one on the webserver is that going to knock out files on the server that I don't include in the upload from my computer? i.e. a page with text outlines is on the server but I don't include it when I sync site is it going to knock off the outline page? I hopw someone can make sense of this. and yes, I have it all backed up now.

Hi and welcome to the Serif forums.

Why not 'sync' or link to those files on the host within WebPlus? Or if they are pages, make an HTML page to include them. Then they will be legitimate.
Old 28th August 2012, 04:42 PM   #3
mconway

It is going to sound stupid but I can link the text files where they are stored and not to a new 'home file I have to recreate? DO I link them to the actual webpage or the sourch file on the server? Iused Fornt Page for years and this is new. The big problem is that I have to fix a link in the navigation bar that involves everything but the text files and the actual audio files. So when I upload the whole site with that nav bar fixed I want to make sure the text and audio files do not disappear.
Old 28th August 2012, 04:49 PM   #4
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
It is going to sound stupid but I can link the text files where they are stored and not to a new 'home file I have to recreate? DO I link them to the actual webpage or the sourch file on the server? Iused Fornt Page for years and this is new. The big problem is that I have to fix a link in the navigation bar that involves everything but the text files and the actual audio files. So when I upload the whole site with that nav bar fixed I want to make sure the text and audio files do not disappear.
How about a link to a page in the site with the text files and the audio files?
Old 28th August 2012, 04:55 PM   #5
mconway

but when I upload the site from my computer to the web server is it going to knock out any files on the web server not in the source file? This is what I want to avoid
Old 28th August 2012, 04:56 PM   #6
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
but when I upload the site from my computer to the web server is it going to knock out any files on the web server not in the source file? This is what I want to avoid
That is why it would be helpful to see what you've got up there now.
Old 28th August 2012, 05:14 PM   #7
mconway

here is the audio page I am talking about http://www.wsbnewnan.org/page57.html
and here is a sermon page with links to text files http://www.wsbnewnan.org/page92.html there are several of these pages and I don't mind redoing them but I don't want to reformat all the text files on the white pages themselves. Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 05:43 PM   #8
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
here is the audio page I am talking about http://www.wsbnewnan.org/page57.html
and here is a sermon page with links to text files http://www.wsbnewnan.org/page92.html there are several of these pages and I don't mind redoing them but I don't want to reformat all the text files on the white pages themselves. Thanks
OK, this works.

for each of those pages:

Add an Offsite Link Page > Link to the internet page with the full url > set the Title to what it was originally > arrange the new page to where it belongs in the site structure.

I just did a one page sample file and it works just fine. I'm listening to an audio sermon now.
Old 28th August 2012, 07:32 PM   #9
mconway

Thank You! I can so do that! I appreciate your help.
Old 28th August 2012, 07:32 PM   #10
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
Thank You! I can so do that! I appreciate your help.
Yippe!!!!

I knew you could do that, too