Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > WebPlus

Notices

WebPlus Questions about using WebPlus for website design

Old 6th May 2012, 06:23 PM   #41
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: Program Regularly Crashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem View Post
It is the video driver we really need I think.

Those are good, but the main is what video driver is installed? You may have invidia card, but ati drivers as an example. I have asus card with ati drivers and amd card with ati drivers.

You can go to control panel then system then hardware then look for video. open it to see what driver you have. You could also go to control panel then programs and features or equivalent the read what programs you have and I bet the video drivers show up.
davem

If you were referring to my posts, please use the QUOTE button on the lower right.

This Gateway system uses NVIDIA 8.17.12.7533, dated May 20, 2011
Old 6th May 2012, 07:48 PM   #42
900sport

900sport is on a distinguished road

I too have been driven mad by the constant crashing of X5. I have discovered that it is not X5 itself which crashes but the content of this one particular .wpp file. I am using windows 7 professional (64bit) on my desktop, but it also crashes on my laptop which is running Vista Ultimate. The most annoying factor is there is no one action which causes the crash and there is no error, windows simply reports that X5 has stopped working and will attempt to restart. One constant factor is when I try to work on the about us page, which contains a gallery object the programme fails instantly. However because I can't edit that particular page I can't remove the gallery to see if that is the cause. Its a 20 page site which I have spent a lot of time on so if anyone has any ideas please let me know. I have tried all the usual work arounds but as I have already said I am sure its the content crashing the prog.
Old 7th May 2012, 10:29 AM   #43
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900sport View Post
I too have been driven mad by the constant crashing of X5. I have discovered that it is not X5 itself which crashes but the content of this one particular .wpp file. I am using windows 7 professional (64bit) on my desktop, but it also crashes on my laptop which is running Vista Ultimate. The most annoying factor is there is no one action which causes the crash and there is no error, windows simply reports that X5 has stopped working and will attempt to restart. One constant factor is when I try to work on the about us page, which contains a gallery object the programme fails instantly. However because I can't edit that particular page I can't remove the gallery to see if that is the cause. Its a 20 page site which I have spent a lot of time on so if anyone has any ideas please let me know. I have tried all the usual work arounds but as I have already said I am sure its the content crashing the prog.

See if going to Tools | Site Manager | Resource Manager helps at all. Failing that, and this would not be ideal, I know, but you could copy all of the pages that don't crash the file into a new one, saved under a different name.
WPX2-6 SITES: The Falcon Inn (X6) | Martin Sexton - Artist (X2) | Clover Greetings
(X6)
Old 7th May 2012, 10:34 AM   #44
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post

See if going to Tools | Site Manager | Resource Manager helps at all. Failing that, and this would not be ideal, I know, but you could copy all of the pages that don't crash the file into a new one, saved under a different name.
Or, open the file, go to Site Structure, select the page at issue and delete it.

Then, go to File > SaveAs > give the file a different name.
Old 7th May 2012, 10:36 AM   #45
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh View Post
Or, open the file, go to Site Structure, select the page at issue and delete it.

Then, go to File > SaveAs > give the file a different name.
If I've understood correctly, doing this would crash the file, but it's worth a try!
WPX2-6 SITES: The Falcon Inn (X6) | Martin Sexton - Artist (X2) | Clover Greetings
(X6)
Old 7th May 2012, 10:39 AM   #46
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
If I've understood correctly, doing this would crash the file, but it's worth a try!
Ali

It doesn't make the page active in the workspace, so that's why I suggested to try it. One can also do this in the Site tab > Pages > by only selecting the page by clicking once.
Old 7th May 2012, 10:44 AM   #47
Ali
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh View Post
Ali

It doesn't make the page active in the workspace, so that's why I suggested to try it. One can also do this in the Site tab > Pages > by only selecting the page by clicking once.
I realise this, Marilyn, but equally we have seen occasions in the past where trying to select a problematic page this way has triggered a crash. As I said, it's worth a punt.
(X6)
Old 7th May 2012, 10:53 AM   #48
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
I realise this, Marilyn, but equally we have seen occasions in the past where trying to select a problematic page this way has triggered a crash. As I said, it's worth a punt.
I don't recall that, Ali, if I had I wouldn't have suggested trying it.
Old 8th May 2012, 12:49 PM   #49
900sport

900sport is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Program Regularly Crashes

Thanks for all the suggestions but 9 times out of ten with this particular file it will crash (or stop responding) as soon as an action is selected. All my other .wpp files will load and can be worked on without problem. I did get into it briefly over the weekend and manually resized the 9 gallery pics in the about us page, and made sure all pics were manually optimised for the web (using photo plus) All pics are embedded, mainly so I can use my laptop on the odd occasion. The web site in case anyone wants to see it is www.downtoearthgardencentre.co.uk I can't understand why X5 would allow you to include something in the file without a warning which might, as in this case make the file un-useable when next loaded. The .wpp file is reported by windows to be 12.7mb in size so it is not massive. I have spent several months on this site and don't feel like scrapping it and starting again. I will listen to any suggestions. Thanks for listening.
Old 8th May 2012, 05:37 PM   #50
davem

davem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900sport View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions but 9 times out of ten with this particular file it will crash (or stop responding) as soon as an action is selected. All my other .wpp files will load and can be worked on without problem. I did get into it briefly over the weekend and manually resized the 9 gallery pics in the about us page, and made sure all pics were manually optimised for the web (using photo plus) All pics are embedded, mainly so I can use my laptop on the odd occasion. The web site in case anyone wants to see it is www.downtoearthgardencentre.co.uk I can't understand why X5 would allow you to include something in the file without a warning which might, as in this case make the file un-useable when next loaded. The .wpp file is reported by windows to be 12.7mb in size so it is not massive. I have spent several months on this site and don't feel like scrapping it and starting again. I will listen to any suggestions. Thanks for listening.
Let me preface this with: "I am not as familiar with serif webplus as most of you are!"

Maybe you can get a file over 4 gigs to work, but it could be very taxing on any system. I too use images and connect to them(not embedded). In win7, the file size can be up to 3 TB and on XP can be up to 32 gig. To date, I have not found an application that is completely reliable at over 4 gig. If anyone knows of one, please alert me?
Founder of Application Allstars
Allstar Applications
Old 9th May 2012, 12:44 AM   #51
davem

davem is on a distinguished road

Sorry folks!

After spending many hours with tech support and reformatting my HD along with other develoipments like finding flaws in X4 as well as the major ones in X5, I am going to bow out of this mess.

If I can get the money back, great! If not, most of the people in my world will know all about it.

Bye
Founder of Application Allstars
Allstar Applications