Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > DrawPlus

Notices

DrawPlus Questions about using DrawPlus for vector graphics design

Old 4th May 2012, 11:48 PM   #1
erik

erik is on a distinguished road
Question Forum Challenge

Hello-

I recently posted a discussion called "Hiding Objects". Unfortunately, not one person in this forum could offer insight to solve my question probably because no one could get access to the actual file in question (too large to post at over 1MG). So, I am asking anyone if I can email them the file so they can see firsthand my example and try to figure out why I can't seem to figure out how to combine objects without changing the shape of the object in the background or creating an unwanted border line. I appreciate the help in advance, thanks. NOTE: This probably very simple but I am still new and learning.
Old 4th May 2012, 11:54 PM   #2
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: Forum Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik View Post
I am asking anyone if I can email them the file
Hi Erik,

You can send it to me by clicking this link: Document Courier. (Password: ********)

Edit: Please post back to ask me for the password.

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)

Last edited by AlfredP; 5th May 2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old 5th May 2012, 06:13 AM   #3
Geoff Blanthorn
Expert

Geoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Hello-

I recently posted a discussion called "Hiding Objects". Unfortunately, not one person in this forum could offer insight to solve my question probably because no one could get access to the actual file in question (too large to post at over 1MG). So, I am asking anyone if I can email them the file so they can see firsthand my example and try to figure out why I can't seem to figure out how to combine objects without changing the shape of the object in the background or creating an unwanted border line. I appreciate the help in advance, thanks. NOTE: This probably very simple but I am still new and learning.
Upload it to yousendit.com and post the password here.

Geoff
Old 5th May 2012, 12:04 PM   #4
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Blanthorn View Post
Upload it to yousendit.com and post the password here.

Geoff
The password, Geoff? I think you probably meant the URL! Were you perhaps wrong-footed by my reference to a password?

Alfred
Old 5th May 2012, 10:01 PM   #5
Geoff Blanthorn
Expert

Geoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredP View Post
The password, Geoff? I think you probably meant the URL! Were you perhaps wrong-footed by my reference to a password?

Alfred
Probably, or maybe I was thinking of Opera Unite!

Anyway, the methods I described seem to work perfectly for me, so I don't know why they don't work on the logo proper.

Geoff
Old 22nd May 2012, 11:22 PM   #6
erik

Hello-

Got sidetracked on this. Thanks much for helping me out. I clicked on your provided link but it asks for a password before I can send it. What do I do??

As for any directions I received on this discussion, trust me, they don't work with the logo I have. This forum should let you post attachments over 1MB.
Old 22nd May 2012, 11:27 PM   #7
MikeW

MikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant future

Place it on yousendit or dropbox as suggested and provide a link. It's easy, free and uses their bandwidth.

Take care, Mike
Old 23rd May 2012, 01:03 AM   #8
erik

I'm confused. On yousendit, it asks for a recipient email address. Do I send it to myself or something??
Old 23rd May 2012, 03:56 AM   #9
Geoff Blanthorn
Expert

Quote:
I'm confused. On yousendit, it asks for a recipient email address. Do I send it to myself or something??
Yes. Yousendit will send you the url which you can then attach here.

Geoff
Old 23rd May 2012, 11:12 PM   #10
erik

Ok, thanks. Here is the URL. Just a reminder of what I am trying to do with this logo. I want it formatted so the brushstrokes across the leaf are the same as "eraser" effects. What I have noticed when I followed everyone's directions is that two things happen that I do not want to happen. (1) there is a very faint outline that goes across some of the leafs outer perimeter where the brushstrokes used to be, and (2) the thickness of the leafs stem decreases.

http://www.yousendit.com/download/Ql...SWg5RmFwSHNUQw
Old 23rd May 2012, 11:20 PM   #11
AlfredP
Guru

Quote:
Ok, thanks. Here is the URL. Just a reminder of what I am trying to do with this logo. I want it formatted so the brushstrokes across the leaf are the same as "eraser" effects. What I have noticed when I followed everyone's directions is that two things happen that I do not want to happen. (1) there is a very faint outline that goes across some of the leafs outer perimeter where the brushstrokes used to be, and (2) the thickness of the leafs stem decreases.

Thanks, Erik. I've just downloaded it and I'll take a look at it shortly.

Apologies for any confusion over my Document Courier link earlier this month. I changed the password because you logged off shortly after I posted the details.

Alfred
Old 24th May 2012, 12:42 AM   #12
AlfredP
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredP View Post
Thanks, Erik. I've just downloaded it and I'll take a look at it shortly.
I've attached the result of applying a few tweaks to that file. Like the original, it's under 140 KB when zipped, making it well within normal forum attachment limits.

Most of the white lines have a fill, but about a third of them have no fill. I've recoloured the latter objects black and put them on their own layer. I've also moved the leaf to its own layer, removed the line from it and adjusted the thickness of the stem to compensate for the removal of the line.

If you select all of the white objects and the leaf with the Node Tool and click the 'Close Curve' icon on the Context toolbar, you will be able to 'Subtract' the white shapes from the leaf shape. Now for each the black lines, close the curve as above and then use the Node Tool to make it look like a single line again. Subtract the black shapes from the leaf shape and you're done.

Alfred
Attached Files
File Type: zip Erik's YouSendIt Logo Example - Black Lines.zip (139.4 KB, 9 views)
Old 24th May 2012, 07:09 AM   #13
Geoff Blanthorn
Expert

Quote:

Well I find that my original method (slightly modified as below) seems to work just fine. Yes, you can see lines across the ends of the white lines on screen, but they do not print.

1. Select the green leaaf (only), and Copy (Ctrl+C).
2. Select All (Ctrl+A)
3. Paste (Ctrl+V)
4. Convert to bitmap
5. Select All (Ctrl+A)
6. Arrange/Crop/to top object.

Geoff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leaflogo.png
Views:	13
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	32758  
Old 24th May 2012, 09:29 PM   #14
erik

Thanks for your responses, they are much appreciated. You will have to bear with me as I have some questions.

I can't seem to figure out how to select both the leaf and white lines in your first step. Once I know how to that, I can at least attempt the rest of your directions to see if I can understand how you made these edits. Additionally, I am also noticing that your leaf is different (slightly) in shape bc of the editing you had to do in respect to the outline trim. Am I correct to assume for future projects, I should just use the eraser tool rather than the process I am using here in respect to "removing" parts of objects?? It seems I went the wrong with my design process.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you. If you were to take a background color and put it behind the leaf after completing all of your steps, you will see that the white brush strokes do not stop at the edge of leaf. It seems to have created a wide border (after you convert to bitmap). I am also noticing that the image is somewhat blurry. I cant use this finished product if the background is a different color. Any ideas on how to prevent this white border and the blurry image??

Last edited by erik; 24th May 2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 24th May 2012, 10:32 PM   #15
Geoff Blanthorn
Expert

Quote:
It seems I went the wrong with my design process.
Not sure who the "yous" refer to in your reply.

Your main error was to add a green line to the green leaf. You do not need the line.

By the way, didn't you say that you wanted the white lines to be transparent so the colour of the shirt shows through? If so the lines projecting beyound the leaf are not a problem.

There also seems to be a bug in DP, whereby "crop to object" ignores any line applied to the object. That's the only reason for having to convert to picture.

Geoff
Old 24th May 2012, 10:47 PM   #16
AlfredP
Guru

Quote:
Not sure who the "yous" refer to in your reply.
Geoff,

I'm assuming that this

Quote:
I can't seem to figure out how to select both the leaf and white lines in your first step. Once I know how to that, I can at least attempt the rest of your directions to see if I can understand how you made these edits. Additionally, I am also noticing that your leaf is different (slightly) in shape bc of the editing you had to do in respect to the outline trim. Am I correct to assume for future projects, I should just use the eraser tool rather than the process I am using here in respect to "removing" parts of objects?? It seems I went the wrong with my design process.
is in reply to me, and that this

Quote:
I'm gonna have to disagree with you. If you were to take a background color and put it behind the leaf after completing all of your steps, you will see that the white brush strokes do not stop at the edge of leaf. It seems to have created a wide border (after you convert to bitmap). I am also noticing that the image is somewhat blurry. I cant use this finished product if the background is a different color. Any ideas on how to prevent this white border and the blurry image??
is in reply to you.

Quote:
Your main error was to add a green line to the green leaf. You do not need the line.

By the way, didn't you say that you wanted the white lines to be transparent so the colour of the shirt shows through? If so the lines projecting beyound the leaf are not a problem.

There also seems to be a bug in DP, whereby "crop to object" ignores any line applied to the object. That's the only reason for having to convert to picture.
This is why I adjusted the thickness of the stem to compensate for the removal of the line. As you indicated, without the green line on the leaf there wouldn't have been a problem.

Alfred
Old 24th May 2012, 11:02 PM   #17
AlfredP
Guru

Quote:
I can't seem to figure out how to select both the leaf and white lines in your first step. Once I know how to that, I can at least attempt the rest of your directions to see if I can understand how you made these edits.
Click to highlight the 'Shapes' layer on the Layer tab, make sure 'Edit All Layers' (second icon from the right at the bottom of the Layer tab) is turned off, and press Ctrl+A. Now turn on 'Edit All Layers' and Shift-click the leaf in the workspace.

Quote:
Additionally, I am also noticing that your leaf is different (slightly) in shape bc of the editing you had to do in respect to the outline trim.
I didn't touch the leaf itself. I only adjusted the stem.

Quote:
Am I correct to assume for future projects, I should just use the eraser tool rather than the process I am using here in respect to "removing" parts of objects?? It seems I went the wrong with my design process.
As Geoff has pointed out, what gets in the way is the line applied to the shape.

Alfred