Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Photos and Movies > PanoramaPlus

Notices

PanoramaPlus Questions about using PanoramaPlus for digital image stitching

Old 20th April 2012, 12:46 AM   #1
magiceye

magiceye is on a distinguished road
Default Thought the paid one would work

Tried the free Panaorama was not impressed, now on X4 and paid for, thought it would be different entirely, all that has changed is not constant pestering about upgrading. Why did i bother, it sucks, sorry but it does not pick up and allow for anything other than perfection which you could do in the lens in one shot, no flexibility, just a frustrating message about no reference points. Sorry Serif this is a failure, big time.
magiceye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2012, 11:11 PM   #2
alspar

alspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thought the paid one would work

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiceye View Post
.... message about no reference points.
All panorama stitching programs (including those inbuilt into digital cameras) require matching reference points.
In other words the images on adjacent pictures must overlap - usually by as much as 20% - for the stitching to work.

Last edited by alspar; 22nd April 2012 at 12:26 AM. Reason: typo
alspar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2012, 12:53 AM   #3
magiceye

magiceye is on a distinguished road

I appreciate what you have said and totally understand that reasoning and requirement for the program to function. My recent capture was one of the same person three times on a balcony, with reference points all along and plenty of overlap, it made no difference the program could not stitch them together. It appears that it can only deal with the most basic of vistas which for the price I can understand, but what I do not understand is when there are the overlaps and points in all individual pictures then why does it not do what it says on the tin every time, to get a message and not able to move on is frustrating and basically "cheating" the customer.
magiceye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2012, 07:28 AM   #4
Geoff Blanthorn
Expert

Geoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
My recent capture was one of the same person three times on a balcony, with reference points all along and plenty of overlap,
Were they all taken from the same position?

Geoff
Geoff Blanthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2012, 08:56 AM   #5
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
I appreciate what you have said and totally understand that reasoning and requirement for the program to function. My recent capture was one of the same person three times on a balcony, with reference points all along and plenty of overlap, it made no difference the program could not stitch them together. It appears that it can only deal with the most basic of vistas which for the price I can understand, but what I do not understand is when there are the overlaps and points in all individual pictures then why does it not do what it says on the tin every time, to get a message and not able to move on is frustrating and basically "cheating" the customer.
Can you perhaps attach low-res versions of the three images here? By seeing them, someone may be able to spot what the problem is. Did you use a tripod when taking the pictures?
WPX2-6 SITES: The Falcon Inn (X6) | Martin Sexton - Artist (X2) | Clover Greetings
(X6)
Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2012, 09:54 AM   #6
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: Sorry, what

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDust View Post
I am very appreciated
Welcome to the forums! I am glad that you are appreciated. Which Serif titles do you use and how?
WPX2-6 SITES: The Falcon Inn (X6) | Martin Sexton - Artist (X2) | Clover Greetings
(X6)
Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:41 AM   #7
Photo Pete

Photo Pete is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem when using photos from my high end Nikon D700 DSLR, but I don't have a problem when I use my pocket camera Fuji FinePix E510. With the Nikon the PanoramaPlus can't even detect similar features in two almost identical photos when taken from exactly the same position, whereas with the Fuji, PanoramaPlus seems to be able to stitch photos of the same scene, with possible only 10% overlap, but taken in slightly different locations.
Photo Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 08:15 PM   #8
Geoff Blanthorn
Expert

Geoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo Pete View Post
I have the same problem when using photos from my high end Nikon D700 DSLR,
Does changing the sensitivity on File/Preferences help?

Geoff
Old 2nd May 2012, 10:26 PM   #9
alspar

alspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond repute

There must be movement to the side when each picture is taken - overlap of 20-30% is probably best...

Quote:
... My recent capture was one of the same person three times on a balcony, with reference points all along and plenty of overlap, it made no difference the program could not stitch them together. .
For this to have a chance of working (presumably to show the same person standing on the balcony 3 times) - the person must not be in any of the overlapping parts of the pictures.

Quote:
.. With the Nikon the PanoramaPlus can't even detect similar features in two almost identical photos when taken from exactly the same position, ....
If there is not sufficient movement to the side there is no panorama - just two pictures of the same view.

Panorama plus can only stitch left to right (or right to left) - it cannot extract parts of one picture and insert it in another.
Old 3rd May 2012, 12:57 AM   #10
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has a reputation approching nirvanaAlfredP has a reputation approching nirvanaAlfredP has a reputation approching nirvanaAlfredP has a reputation approching nirvanaAlfredP has a reputation approching nirvanaAlfredP has a reputation approching nirvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by alspar View Post
Panorama plus can only stitch left to right (or right to left)
Or top to bottom (or bottom to top).

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
AlfredP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 08:01 AM   #11
Geoff Blanthorn
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredP View Post

Alfred
And/or top to bottom (or bottom to top).

Geoff
Old 3rd May 2012, 10:04 AM   #12
Photo Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Blanthorn View Post
Does changing the sensitivity on File/Preferences help?

Geoff
Hi Geoff,

Sadly no, even on the most sensitive setting I still get the same outcome.
Old 3rd May 2012, 10:40 AM   #13
Photo Pete

Quote:
If there is not sufficient movement to the side there is no panorama - just two pictures of the same view.

Panorama plus can only stitch left to right (or right to left) - it cannot extract parts of one picture and insert it in another.
Hi Alspar,

Sorry, I think you've missed my point.

You can use the two cameras to take an identical series of photos of the same scene, PanoPlus will stitch the Fuji photos, but not the Nikon ones. The only difference between the two sets of photos is that Nikons jpegs are about 3 times the size (in Mb) of the Fuji.
Old 3rd May 2012, 09:55 PM   #14
alspar

Quote:
Hi Alspar,

Sorry, I think you've missed my point.

You can use the two cameras to take an identical series of photos of the same scene, PanoPlus will stitch the Fuji photos, but not the Nikon ones. The only difference between the two sets of photos is that Nikons jpegs are about 3 times the size (in Mb) of the Fuji.
Sorry Photo Pete - I read the quote literally and not in relation to those photos taken with the other camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo Pete
.. With the Nikon the PanoramaPlus can't even detect similar features in two almost identical photos when taken from exactly the same position, ....

Available memory may be a consideration with the larger photos? or possibly the RAW format?

Last edited by alspar; 3rd May 2012 at 10:35 PM.
alspar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 10:26 PM   #15
alspar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredP View Post

Alfred
Quote:
And/or top to bottom (or bottom to top).

Geoff
Hi Alfred and Geoff

There is never any mention or illustrations of vertical panoramas in the help or on the Website - but I've just tried it and it works (of course).

Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 11:48 PM   #16
Geoff Blanthorn
Expert

Quote:
Hi Alfred and Geoff

There is never any mention or illustrations of vertical panoramas in the help or on the Website - but I've just tried it and it works (of course).

Thanks
Several of the supplied samples illustrate that feature.

Geoff
Old 3rd May 2012, 11:55 PM   #17
alspar

Quote:
Several of the supplied samples illustrate that feature.

Geoff
They do too! - Thanks Geoff.

I really must learn to check out samples!
Old 4th May 2012, 12:58 AM   #18
ggrussell
Expert

ggrussell is well on the road to greatness

Don't think size has anything to do with it. Recently bought a Sony A65 which does panoramas in the camera. I use PanoPlus to stitch two panoramas together vertically. Each file was 8192 X 1856. I was using the Starter Edition, too.

The attached is , of course, reduced so I could post it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Panorama field.JPG (497.8 KB, 11 views)
Old 4th May 2012, 10:08 PM   #19
FoG

FoG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
for what it is worth you would be better off with a panorama of the balcony ans a background then three shots of the person blended in layers onto this in photoplus with a person the prog will try to use them in all points as a main focal point unless you use others manually which you then may end up with ghosting the technique you are trying for is muliplicity i take it ? usually this is several shots overlayng each other and using layer masks to create the effect still possible in panorama but then needing the extra work in photoplus... done right it looks lovely takes patience mind you lol ...hope this helps

My Site
FoG is offline   Reply With Quote