Notices

WebPlus Questions about using WebPlus for website design

Old 1st May 2012, 02:03 AM   #1
teachtopia

teachtopia is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone willing to make my site work in X5

Dear Serif Community,

Question regarding Versions X4 and X5

First of all, I have read quite a lot on the forums about bloated sites. And I have a lot of my resources not embedded. None-the-less I am having problems with X5 in that it crashes with this particular .wpp file

The site works perfectly (a little slow on the load) in X4 but does not work in X5. X5 actually crashes and restarts. And please note that X5 works for other sites.

Here is the site uploaded in X4 and working:
http://LAwithKids.com

here is the file
https://rcpt.yousendit.com/148985528...000000&s=19104

Thanks,
and about 50 more!!

Last edited by teachtopia; 1st May 2012 at 08:49 PM. Reason: adding a link to the file
Old 1st May 2012, 06:35 AM   #2
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: Anyone willing to make my site work in X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachtopia View Post
Dear Serif Community,

Question regarding Versions X4 and X5

First of all, I have read quite a lot on the forums about bloated sites. And I have a lot of my resources not embedded. None-the-less I am having problems with X5 in that it crashes with this particular .wpp file

The site works perfectly (a little slow on the load) in X4 but does not work in X5. X5 actually crashes and restarts. And please note that X5 works for other sites.

Here is the site uploaded in X4 and working:
http://lawithkids.com

Thanks,
I don't think the published site will be much use to us. It's the .wpp file that we'll need to see.
WPX2-6 SITES: The Falcon Inn (X6) | Martin Sexton - Artist (X2) | Clover Greetings
(X6)
Old 1st May 2012, 07:21 AM   #3
Tim

Tim is well on the road to greatness

You have a few problems there.

The Schools link on the Nav Bar only works on the lawithkids page and the Videos page. On all other pages it is dead.

Also you have some very long pages of empty space, especially on the Videos page.

Also here: http://lawithkids.com/free-restaurant-nights.html
I have just notices that on this page you have a horizontal scroll bar as well, the page is VERY WIDE. My guess is you have some text or graphics sat in the workspace (Off the page) that you have missed.

Windows 7 Home Premium. Intel(R)Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8300 @2.5GHZ - 4GB RAM - 64 bit - 1 Terabyte

Last edited by Tim; 1st May 2012 at 07:28 AM.
Old 1st May 2012, 08:25 PM   #4
teachtopia

Thanks Ali,

How do I share it? The uploader says that the file is too large.
and about 50 more!!
Old 1st May 2012, 08:28 PM   #5
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Thanks Ali,

How do I share it? The uploader says that the file is too large.
Hi

If the file is under 50MB use the free yousendit.com, use your own email address for the to: and then post the link here.
Old 1st May 2012, 08:50 PM   #6
teachtopia

Here is the file and super thanks
https://rcpt.yousendit.com/148985528...000000&s=19104
and about 50 more!!
Old 1st May 2012, 08:51 PM   #7
teachtopia

I just shared the file using yousendit. Great service.
and about 50 more!!
Old 2nd May 2012, 03:10 AM   #8
teachtopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
You have a few problems there.

The Schools link on the Nav Bar only works on the lawithkids page and the Videos page. On all other pages it is dead.

Also you have some very long pages of empty space, especially on the Videos page.

Also here: http://lawithkids.com/free-restaurant-nights.html
I have just notices that on this page you have a horizontal scroll bar as well, the page is VERY WIDE. My guess is you have some text or graphics sat in the workspace (Off the page) that you have missed.
Tim, Thanks for looking at the site. Please note that I now have the file up on the thread. I went to the page and found some elements on the workspace. It is still wide. Any suggestions?
and about 50 more!!
Old 2nd May 2012, 07:42 AM   #9
grovesie

grovesie has much to be proud ofgrovesie has much to be proud ofgrovesie has much to be proud of

Quote:
I downloaded your file last night and tried to have a quick look. I loaded it up in X4 and it took 15 minutes just to generate all the smart object previews for the Youtube videos

I ran the site checker (Quick Scan) and it found over 700 errors with objects overlapping (and other stuff). I then ran the Full Scan and after over 1500 errors and 20 minutes and still running, I turned the computer off and went to bed.

I would suggest you run the Site Checker in X4 yourself and fix most/all of the errors it finds - if it still crashes when loading into X5 after that, come back and we can have another look.

Best of luck,

Steve
Old 2nd May 2012, 08:00 AM   #10
Tim

Tim is well on the road to greatness

Jodie

I have just downloaded your file and am looking at it now.....Thats a lot of pages!!!!!

Anyway as I said might be one of your problems, you do have lots of bits and pieces scattered all over the workspace. minimize the site down to 10% and you will see them.

You have one HTML fragment box which looks to be a Facebook widget sat on the workspace at 31,700 pixels.

You need to find all of these and delete them.

Windows 7 Home Premium. Intel(R)Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8300 @2.5GHZ - 4GB RAM - 64 bit - 1 Terabyte
Old 2nd May 2012, 10:18 AM   #11
Frank B.

Frank B. has a brilliant futureFrank B. has a brilliant futureFrank B. has a brilliant futureFrank B. has a brilliant future

Hi Jodi,

As others have said, you do have a lot of pages. However, they are mostly text pages which shouldn't be a problem for an application such as web plus - in fact the app file size is quite small when compared to some sites I've seen.

There are a few problems with misplaced and some overlapping objects, but this can be easily sorted before importing into X5. One way to avoid this type of problem would be to use a strict grid layout, or even a table layout to ensure everything stays in position.

I've also noticed that your home page slider is squeezing the images which doesn't look too good. You can overcome that problem by cropping and sizing your slider images before importing them into the slider application - basically, you need to crop them to the actual dimensions of the slider.

On you video page, you may like to consider using a video lightbox to display your you tube video links (you can see an example HERE.) A video lightbox can make the page look a little more interesting and uses a surprisingly small amount of code.

One other thing I noticed is that some of the ads that get displayed are not always appropriate for a site such as yours (ladies online now-type ads!!!). It may be best to skip this type of advertising altogether (unless of course it earns you substantial revenue)

Anyway, those are my thoughts, for what they're worth, but I see no real reason why the site shouldn't open in X5, there is nothing too adverse to prevent it from opening.

Kind regards

Frank B.
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:53 PM   #12
teachtopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank B. View Post
Hi Jodi,

As others have said, you do have a lot of pages. However, they are mostly text pages which shouldn't be a problem for an application such as web plus - in fact the app file size is quite small when compared to some sites I've seen.

There are a few problems with misplaced and some overlapping objects, but this can be easily sorted before importing into X5. One way to avoid this type of problem would be to use a strict grid layout, or even a table layout to ensure everything stays in position.

I've also noticed that your home page slider is squeezing the images which doesn't look too good. You can overcome that problem by cropping and sizing your slider images before importing them into the slider application - basically, you need to crop them to the actual dimensions of the slider.

On you video page, you may like to consider using a video lightbox to display your you tube video links (you can see an example HERE.) A video lightbox can make the page look a little more interesting and uses a surprisingly small amount of code.

One other thing I noticed is that some of the ads that get displayed are not always appropriate for a site such as yours (ladies online now-type ads!!!). It may be best to skip this type of advertising altogether (unless of course it earns you substantial revenue)

Anyway, those are my thoughts, for what they're worth, but I see no real reason why the site shouldn't open in X5, there is nothing too adverse to prevent it from opening.

Kind regards

Frank B.
Dear Frank,

The ads are based on the user. They are generally relevant with most the ads being served to me being educational related given that I am in that field and those are the predominant sites that I visit. Interesting what you came up with :-) You probably clear your cookies and they are giving you run of the mill ads.

In respect to the slider images I am aware of my lousy job at cropping them. I used a web based service for photo editing and am going to power up the gimp and do it right. If you go to http://nevadawithkids.com you will see I have done this part right before.

Is there anyway you could go into my file (it is in the thread) and tell me why it is not booting up on webplus X5? Also is there a way I could get master pages that conform to standards that would simply be right for any page I create as opposed to have a master pages a and b with two exact sizes and having to fit everything into the corresponding header and footer sections?
Modern templates do not work the way I designed the site. You will understand and see if you go into the file. Thanks!
and about 50 more!!
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:57 PM   #13
teachtopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Jodie

I have just downloaded your file and am looking at it now.....Thats a lot of pages!!!!!

Anyway as I said might be one of your problems, you do have lots of bits and pieces scattered all over the workspace. minimize the site down to 10% and you will see them.

You have one HTML fragment box which looks to be a Facebook widget sat on the workspace at 31,700 pixels.

You need to find all of these and delete them.
Quick question: Workspaces are unique to each page right?
Is anything on the workspace viewable?

Do you know where that facebook widget is hiding?

Thanks Again!
and about 50 more!!
Old 3rd May 2012, 12:42 AM   #14
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Quick question: Workspaces are unique to each page right?
The pasteboard is common to all pages, as you'll quickly discover if you copy something to it and then move to another page.

The attached shows your Search Results page in WPX5. As you can see from the scrollbars, there's a lot more of the pasteboard than is visible in the screenshot. On the far right and bottom of the pasteboard there are orphaned HTML code fragments.

Alfred
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WPX5_LAwithKids.png
Views:	6
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	32280  
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)