Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > WebPlus

Notices

WebPlus Questions about using WebPlus for website design

Old 1st May 2012, 02:54 AM   #1
imabaker

imabaker is on a distinguished road
Default interactive forms

I have been asked to design a website which includes pdf forms that users can complete and submit online. Once submitted, they want to be able to print it so it still looks like the form. Can this be done thru WebPlus? If so, can you tell me how it's done or refer me to a thread if this has already been discussed? Thank you.
Old 1st May 2012, 06:23 AM   #2
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: interactive forms

Quote:
Originally Posted by imabaker View Post
I have been asked to design a website which includes pdf forms that users can complete and submit online. Once submitted, they want to be able to print it so it still looks like the form. Can this be done thru WebPlus? If so, can you tell me how it's done or refer me to a thread if this has already been discussed? Thank you.
Scroll to the foot of this page to see some threads on this subject (mainly in the PP forum).
WPX2-6 SITES: The Falcon Inn (X6) | Martin Sexton - Artist (X2) | Clover Greetings
(X6)
Old 1st May 2012, 12:02 PM   #3
imabaker

I read the posts but they didn't answer what I need. I am a beginner and do not know how to write code. Can someone please direct me on how to do this? Can it be done in WebPlus 4 or 5? I have both programs. I also have PagePlus. Thank you.
Old 1st May 2012, 12:47 PM   #4
Archibald
Master

Archibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvana

Quote:
I also have PagePlus.
Create a PDF form in PagePlus, then hyperlink to it from WebPlus.
Old 1st May 2012, 01:19 PM   #5
imabaker

Would that work so they would be able to fill in and submit the form online? They don't want to have to print it and then send it in.
Old 1st May 2012, 02:50 PM   #6
Archibald
Master

Archibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvana

Quote:
Would that work so they would be able to fill in and submit the form online? They don't want to have to print it and then send it in.
Yes that should work. They would open the PDF in Adobe Reader and submit it from there, not from their browser. Adobe Re4der should display confirmation of the form having been sent.
Old 1st May 2012, 03:05 PM   #7
imabaker

Can this be done with Page Plus X4 or should I upgrade? Thanks so much for your help.
Old 1st May 2012, 04:03 PM   #8
Archibald
Master

Quote:
Can this be done with Page Plus X4 or should I upgrade? Thanks so much for your help.
I tried in in PagePlusX4 and it worked (but I did not try printing). It is possible to print a form before or after submission, but it is not possible to save a form (see this thread).

Try it and see
Old 6th June 2012, 04:49 AM   #9
imabaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald View Post
Yes that should work. They would open the PDF in Adobe Reader and submit it from there, not from their browser. Adobe Re4der should display confirmation of the form having been sent.
I have completed the forms in Page PlusX4 but I don't understand how to submit them using Adobe Reader. If I try click File/Attach to email, all that gets sent is the form and none of the information I typed in. Can you tell me how to submit it? I am using Adobe Reader 9. - Thank you.
Old 6th June 2012, 08:30 AM   #10
Archibald
Master

Quote:
I have completed the forms in Page PlusX4 but I don't understand how to submit them using Adobe Reader. If I try click File/Attach to email, all that gets sent is the form and none of the information I typed in. Can you tell me how to submit it? I am using Adobe Reader 9.
In PagePlus X4 'Help', it's no good putting "Form" as the keyword in the index or search boxes. Help for forms is available if you look for "PDF" in the index. "PDF Forms" in the index takes you to a help topic entitled "Getting started with PDF forms". See also the help topic 'Collecting data from forms'.

Use 'View' > 'Toolbars' and make sure 'Form' is ticked.

Use the down-arrow to the right of the left-most toolbar button in the 'Form' toolbar to select the submit button. The form submit wizard should then appear. I was submitting via Serif Web Resources.
Old 13th June 2012, 06:54 PM   #11
imabaker

I posted a reply to this last night but I'm not seeing it today so will try again. - I was able to submit the forms via SWR after I chose the fdf option on the submit button. After I submitted a test form sent to my email (via SWR), everything looked fine as far as both the form and the content being there, but I noticed that the fields were still editable. That shouldn't be happening should it? I don't want the recipient of a form to be able to make changes to the information that was submitted. What am I doing wrong? Thanks again for your help.
Old 14th June 2012, 07:21 AM   #12
Archibald
Master

Quote:
I don't want the recipient of a form to be able to make changes to the information that was submitted.
I would not expect Serif Web Resources (SWR) to edit the form so fields become read-only. It's simply forwarding the form to the specified email address.

I wonder whether you can use custom JavaScript to change the field properties to read-only just before the form is submittted to SWR. I am not familiar with using JavaScript on PDF forms.
Old 14th June 2012, 06:39 PM   #13
RichardSc

RichardSc is on a distinguished road

In order to achieve what you want to do you need Adobe Acrobat. You can then save a pdf form as a "Reader extended pdf" with "additional features enabled".
This will allow users to fill and save the data using adobe reader and then they can email the pdf or use a "submit file" sytem on a web page.
There are other programs that can do this without the form being saved as a "reader extended pdf" such as "cutepdf form filler" and "nuance pdf" but users will have to have this on their computer and you can hardly ask them to buy it so that they can fill out your forms. There are aps for ios and android that can also fill in forms.
If you want to preserve the data you have to flatten the form fields with adobe acrobat or an app in ios or android.
Old 26th July 2012, 05:52 PM   #14
imabaker

I ordered Adobe Acrobat X Standard but won't be receiving it til next week. In the meantime, I am still using the forms I created in PPlus which are submitted through SWR. The link works fine on the website and I have received several forms back which opened fine on my home computer (using Adobe Reader 9) but I canít open them on my office computer (Adobe Reader X). Is there a known problem with Adobe Reader X or is there some kind of setting I should change?

Also, sometimes when I'm trying to open the pdf from SWR I get an Adobe error messages that says 'expected a dict object' and it will not open. Can you tell me what this means or what I am doing wrong? Thanks again for your help.