Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Community > Product Suggestions

Notices

Product Suggestions Post feature requests for specific products in the appropriate wish-list thread, and other suggestions in new threads.

Old 7th April 2012, 07:49 PM   #101
WTF

WTF is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WebPlus X6 - Wishlist #5

Sites with use database merge function it would be nice to have a checkbox type function to include/exclude databases to be merged.
To explain, I have a site with about 20 databases merging 20 different pages, if I want to make a small change on one page which contains a repeating area I cannot. I have to merge the whole site with all 20 databases.

Secondly, I mentioned this for X2/X4 & X5, and that is commonality to gallery resources, bit fills etc across all serif products. So if I add a fill or gallery image in one app, it's available in all other serif applications. Bit like MS office
Old 9th April 2012, 09:55 AM   #102
DPANDS

DPANDS is on a distinguished road

Hi

I would like to see the following added to WPX6.

1 A marquee that could be adjusted in size and position for vertical and horizontal multi lines of text.

2 A scrolling text box that could include images when required.

3 A facility to design rotating banners both text and images.

Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 01:22 PM   #103
chevvy64

chevvy64 is on a distinguished road

The ability to incorporate more levels with the sitemap style nav bar.
Currently there are only 2 levels available (as in parent and child); and anything below the level of the parent is all lumped onto the same level as the child, even if it is at the level of grandchild.
I am advised by more knowledgeable members of the community that x2 had options for the sitemap which were much more customisable, and I feel that removing this is limiting some of our options.
Thanks
Siobhan
Old 13th April 2012, 09:44 PM   #104
Joe Sand

Joe Sand is on a distinguished road

I'm an occasional X4 user, and will probably skip to X6 if it happens pretty soon.

I would like to see tools for making web sites mobile-device friendly.
Old 13th April 2012, 11:31 PM   #105
aquilia

aquilia is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I miss the function that was implemented in version X4, but not in X5:
right click on an image in a cell of a table -> align -> middle. So the image was quickly centred.
This I really miss, because I use much images in a table.

I'm a bit angry, because I bought X5 3 days ago and it's much more complicated to center a picture in a cell in X5 than in X4.
Also I had much problems to cut out (Ctrl+X) a picture in a cell in X5 with an X4 created document. X5 crashed with "Runtime Error".

A product should be patched until it works 100% - now I should buy X6 in the summer. And I don't know whether it's better than X4 / X5.

Now I work again with X4 without any problems.

Sorry for my "beginner-english"

Regards
aquilia
Old 13th April 2012, 11:31 PM   #106
norton737
Message imported from old Serif Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Sand View Post
I'm an occasional X4 user, and will probably skip to X6 if it happens pretty soon.

I would like to see tools for making web sites mobile-device friendly.
Yeah! I want tool to easy create mobile website! And new gallery themes!

Old 14th April 2012, 03:42 PM   #107
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

1. Popup Rollovers - the ability to change properties of several rollovers en masse (e.g. over image position, caption properties and position, basic image export settings, etc.), possible via resource manager.
  2. Database Merge - the ability to pre-set image export options (e.g. using the original image and file name instead of WP generating said properties), perhaps via site settings.
WPX2-6 SITES: The Falcon Inn (X6) | Martin Sexton - Artist (X2) | Clover Greetings
(X6)
Old 14th April 2012, 10:20 PM   #108
TAE

TAE is well on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post
Database Merge - the ability to pre-set image export options (e.g. using the original image and file name instead of WP generating said properties), perhaps via site settings.
I agree; even if it it automatically removes spaces and capitals, we should be able to keep the original file names more or less..

And while mentioning databases, when making ecommerce objects from the database, could we have it so that it updates automatically somehow; if we update the database and reupload it it adds the object to the site (or would this require php and mysql?)
Old 15th April 2012, 09:23 AM   #109
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAE View Post
I agree; even if it it automatically removes spaces and capitals, we should be able to keep the original file names more or less..
Your file names for the web should never have capital letters and spaces, anyway, or any other special character except a hyphen or underscore. And it isn't just file names I'm talking about here - it's all of the stuff in export options (e.g. ALT and title tags, which could be populated via the database merge).

Quote:
And while mentioning databases, when making ecommerce objects from the database, could we have it so that it updates automatically somehow; if we update the database and reupload it it adds the object to the site (or would this require php and mysql?)
The database merge is essentially a mail merge, not a server side database solution. If you want things to update automatically server side, then you need to use a different system altogether, and yes, that would most likely require PHP and MySQL.
WPX2-6 SITES: The Falcon Inn (X6) | Martin Sexton - Artist (X2) | Clover Greetings
(X6)
Old 15th April 2012, 10:21 AM   #110
TAE

Quote:
Your file names for the web should never have capital letters and spaces, anyway, or any other special character except a hyphen or underscore. And it isn't just file names I'm talking about here - it's all of the stuff in export options (e.g. ALT and title tags, which could be populated via the database merge).

Exactly; that's why it would be a good idea for it to remove all these; I for one have a lot of files on my pc saved with spaced, capitals, etc. so they need to be converted before uploading

Quote:
The database merge is essentially a mail merge, not a server side database solution. If you want things to update automatically server side, then you need to use a different system altogether, and yes, that would most likely require PHP and MySQL.
Yes, I thought so; I was just hoping there may be some ingenious way that Serif may be able to work it... But I guess even at Serif they aren't that clever
Old 16th April 2012, 11:00 AM   #111
Mikycoud

Mikycoud is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yes, I thought so; I was just hoping there may be some ingenious way that Serif may be able to work it... But I guess even at Serif they aren't that clever
I'll add my vote for that:
*server side database tools (Webplus could generate the tables and it'd be up to the user to place them into their MySql)

Also, a few suggestions off the top of my head:

*fully operational HTML editor, not the 'good but oh-so-frustrating thing' we have now that only lets you edit specific areas (they could keep that one for people who don't wanna mess up too much with code, but also have an 'advanced' option for more adventurous users)

*CSS styling! (not the unfortunately useless implementation they have now for text styling)

*Options for setting up element sizes (pages, panels, frames, text areas...) in percentages instead of pixels. Although if they gave us a new HTML editor, this could be done there...

*implement the passing of variables from pages to pages (for multilingual sites, for instance)

*Implement the use of 'include', the same way they implemented iFrames

*PSD docs support (now that is a bit cheeky, but they probably should if they wanna become sort of a standard for WYSIWYG webdesign softwares)

*Simple keyboard shortcuts for tools. Like press V and get the arrow tool. Right now, users can define their own shortcuts, but it has to be a combination of keys (modifier+key) Wonder why...

*Method to navigate easily in the preview panel (like a hand tool). Right now, if you're zoomed in, you have to use the scroll bars to quickly go from area to area.

I'm sure I'll think of other requests...

Old 17th April 2012, 05:08 AM   #112
sue120502

sue120502 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WebPlus X6 - Wishlist #5 - Hyperlink pages

It would be really good if, when choosing a Site Page to set a Hyperlink to, that the list could be collapsable at the top level. It takes ages to scroll down and find your page when all child pages are in view from parent site pages that are not being used.

www.susanleonard.co.uk
Old 21st April 2012, 10:53 PM   #113
atlascott

atlascott is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: WebPlus X6 - Wishlist #5

SEO plug-in in Edit Story window that provides

1. word count of article/story.
2. Keyword densitiies for up to 5 chosen keywords.
3. Checks to make sure you have the main keyword in the titles, in h1, h2 and h3 headers, underlined, bolded and italiced in the body. There is a WP SEO plugin Called Easy SEO that does this and makes formatting your content for web SEO VERY easy and it would be welcome addition.
Old 22nd April 2012, 12:17 AM   #114
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlascott View Post
SEO plug-in in Edit Story window that provides

1. word count of article/story.
In the WritePlus window, press the icon displaying an italic 'i' in a green circle. Work through the wizard to get the word count that you want.

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 22nd April 2012, 06:14 PM   #115
andrey-X

andrey-X is on a distinguished road

- HTML5 support
- New photo galleries
- Video/music player with playlists support
- Mobile website creation tools
- Updated Smart Objects
Old 22nd April 2012, 11:18 PM   #116
Roberto Muscia

Roberto Muscia is on a distinguished road

Hi,

ods spreadsheet format support:

In WebPlus there are several impressive e-commerce and database merge features.
I noticed the database/ spreadsheet formats supported are common ones like Excel, etc. That's cool so far.

Surprisingly it doesn't support the ODF (Open Document Format) .ods spreadsheet format which is used by e.g. OpenOffice and LibreOffice. Wouldn't it fit the Serif concept of offering affordable powerful software to support the open source ods format?

Roberto
Old 23rd April 2012, 02:57 AM   #117
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto Muscia View Post
Hi,

ods spreadsheet format support:

In WebPlus there are several impressive e-commerce and database merge features.
I noticed the database/ spreadsheet formats supported are common ones like Excel, etc. That's cool so far.

Surprisingly it doesn't support the ODF (Open Document Format) .ods spreadsheet format which is used by e.g. OpenOffice and LibreOffice. Wouldn't it fit the Serif concept of offering affordable powerful software to support the open source ods format?

Roberto

Roberto

I use Open/Libre Office Calc and save my spreadsheets as *.csv for use as a datasource for e-commerce database merge.
Old 1st May 2012, 06:20 PM   #118
oysteinw

oysteinw is on a distinguished road

I think Serif should add an option to make Dynamic pages instead of just static pages, so that the user can choose what type of page he wants.

Master banners that adjust to browser width.

And an optin to create margins and places where you just put widgets and text, and then the page expands to fit those things.

And so commentary boxes can get longer with more and more comments and then the page can adjust to that.
Old 1st May 2012, 07:19 PM   #119
TAE

More options with the panels; When I wanted a panel to stay on the screen, but not be centered/at an edge (e.g. 10pix in), I had to use some coding, provided by some kind person here (can't remember who!)

Could we not position it where we want on the page instead?
Old 1st May 2012, 07:19 PM   #120
TAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by oysteinw View Post
And so commentary boxes can get longer with more and more comments and then the page can adjust to that.
Yes, dynamic length anyway