Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > WebPlus

Notices

WebPlus Questions about using WebPlus for website design

Old 16th April 2012, 07:33 PM   #21
Mike_Stahl

Mike_Stahl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Open sub-form 'button'

I use the term "stupid question" hyperbolically. I trained skydivers for years and the rule was the only stupid question is the one that is not asked. However, in the real world one faces the attitude that "everyone knows that."
Old 16th April 2012, 07:43 PM   #22
Mike_Stahl

RE: "People who interface well with computers usually don't interface well with other people."

I have been working with computers since 1985. After I got my M.A., I went back to school to get a degree in programming and learned C++ and I went to school and became a MSCP. I recently went to a Drupal users meetup group "meeting" in hopes of getting help and sat in a room with 15 other people, the only one there without a laptop who actually wanted to communicate face to face. My B.S. is in human behavior and it is my educated opinion that it is more usual for computer geeks to be more comfortable communicating via webcam than face to face. It's not a slur in any way. It's just a trait that seems common - like the absent minded professor syndrome. Enough on these issues. I have work to do and will post a question in an appropriate (I hope;<) forum.
Old 16th April 2012, 07:47 PM   #23
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Stahl View Post
RE: "People who interface well with computers usually don't interface well with other people."

I have been working with computers since 1985. After I got my M.A., I went back to school to get a degree in programming and learned C++ and I went to school and became a MSCP. I recently went to a Drupal users meetup group "meeting" in hopes of getting help and sat in a room with 15 other people, the only one there without a laptop who actually wanted to communicate face to face. My B.S. is in human behavior and it is my educated opinion that it is more usual for computer geeks to be more comfortable communicating via webcam than face to face. It's not a slur in any way. It's just a trait that seems common - like the absent minded professor syndrome. Enough on these issues. I have work to do and will post a question in an appropriate (I hope;<) forum.
Get to it, Mike!
WPX2-6 SITES: The Falcon Inn (X6) | Martin Sexton - Artist (X2) | Clover Greetings
(X6)
Old 16th April 2012, 07:59 PM   #24
Mike_Stahl

The site was built with Drupal and was not properly done or maintained because "volunteers" did it, or so I hear. My task is to rebuilt the entire site with proper SEO, CE workshop registration forms, Partners of Joan registration forms, newsletter, blogs, restricted pages for professionals only and a bunch of other stuff I have no experience with.

The home page is www.joansfoundation.org

The first quicky, field expedient, page I built with the program I use is http://www.sfer-deoppressoliber.com/foundation.html (I had to learn PDF forms to do this.)

The new WebPlus site I am working on starts here: http://www.joansfoundation.org/001.html

Once I get everything working with WebPlus, I will rename 001.html to index, delete the current site with my FTP client and publish the WebPlus version.

In the interim, I am a man with one foot on the dock, one in the boat and I don't know how to swim!

And I have to learn all the rules and regs of a new forum. I have suffered the penalty of posting in the wrong thread.
Old 16th April 2012, 08:13 PM   #25
Mike_Stahl

Default New thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh View Post
Why, someone might even offer to provide one on one training.
I am so twisted around the axle I can't even figure out how to start a new thread. I have been to FAQ's and have obviously done it but . . . Must come from being 67 and a wanged out Nam vet. As soon I get that done I will explain what I am now trying to do.
Old 16th April 2012, 08:22 PM   #26
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: New thread?

Quote:
I am so twisted around the axle I can't even figure out how to start a new thread. I have been to FAQ's and have obviously done it but . . . Must come from being 67 and a wanged out Nam vet. As soon I get that done I will explain what I am now trying to do.
Well, just go to the top of this forum, look for the New Thread button and click it.

http://forums.serif.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13

Hope this helps.
Old 16th April 2012, 08:37 PM   #27
Mike_Stahl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh View Post
Well, just go to the top of this forum, look for the New Thread button and click it.

http://forums.serif.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13

Hope this helps.
See. Here's a communication problem. I read the first line of text and went to the top of THIS thread and there was no "NEW Thread" button. Then I saw the link.

I would have written, "Just go to http://forums.serif.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13 and press the "New Thread" button.

Maybe it's just the way you Brits think, like you misspell colorHaving been once fluent in both Arabic and German, I now tell people that English (at least American English) is the language of ambiguity.

I managed to find my way 'round the Horn and post a new thread.

BTW: Thanx for the assistance.
Old 16th April 2012, 08:49 PM   #28
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
See. Here's a communication problem. I read the first line of text and went to the top of THIS thread and there was no "NEW Thread" button. Then I saw the link.

I would have written, "Just go to http://forums.serif.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13 and press the "New Thread" button.

Maybe it's just the way you Brits think, like you misspell colorHaving been once fluent in both Arabic and German, I now tell people that English (at least American English) is the language of ambiguity.

I managed to find my way 'round the Horn and post a new thread.

BTW: Thanx for the assistance.

Dearest Mike

I'm north of you about 250 miles on a farm in Michigan USA.

It was not my intention to lead you astray... that's why I wrote 'forum' instead of 'thread'.

Hope this helps, we will help you achieve your objectives as much as we can and you allow.
Old 16th April 2012, 09:04 PM   #29
Mike_Stahl

And I thought I was the only one withOUT false assumptions. So SBT, fellow Yank. Honestly, I have lost track of who has said what and did not mean to imply you were leading me astray. Just pointing out how I misinterpreted your message by confusing threads and posts and jumping to conclusions without noticing the faded blue link and trying to give some constructive criticism from the point of view of a human communication geek.

I am cursed with being indoctrinated in a program that stressed looking for opportunities to teach and then having spent eight (8) years teaching public speaking at a community college. Old habits die hard.
Old 16th April 2012, 09:06 PM   #30
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
And I thought I was the only one withOUT false assumptions. So SBT, fellow Yank. Honestly, I have lost track of who has said what and did not mean to imply you were leading me astray. Just pointing out how I misinterpreted your message by confusing threads and posts and jumping to conclusions without noticing the faded blue link and trying to give some constructive criticism from the point of view of a human communication geek.

I am cursed with being indoctrinated in a program that stressed looking for opportunities to teach and then having spent eight (8) years teaching public speaking at a community college. Old habits die hard.

Mike

I suspect we will both survive. I no longer claim communication skills as I haven't lead a workshop or seminar for hundreds for many, many years.
Old 16th April 2012, 09:19 PM   #31
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
I'm the Brit, and I spell 'colour' correctly.
WPX2-6 SITES: The Falcon Inn (X6) | Martin Sexton - Artist (X2) | Clover Greetings
(X6)