Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Photos and Movies > PhotoPlus

Notices

PhotoPlus Questions about using PhotoPlus for photo editing

Old 15th October 2010, 05:06 AM   #21
Geoff Blanthorn
Expert

Geoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Installing PhotoPlus on windows 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Nguyen View Post
Hi all,
I just bought a Photo Plus x4 at Office Depot. When I start to install by disk, it's show the window to select: Photo Plus x4 or Panorama Plus. After click Photo Plus x4 it's show a window text:" Setup has encountered a problem and needs to close. Error code: 13"
I have been trying on three difference computer run Vista, Windows XP all of them happened the same.
Please direction how to install the PPx4. I have working by computer nearly 18 years and this first case happen to me.
- One more thing, when I do registration at Serif.com, it's require fill the registration code and installation code* . I just have the Product Key (25 numeric and letters) only. How do I have the registration code? When I type the installation code, the letter just blink and disappear, it's not let me type full code!!!
Thanks for support
Brian
Brian,

For the data to type into the Registration form see Help/Registration Wizard

Geoff

Last edited by Geoff Blanthorn; 15th October 2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 15th October 2010, 01:49 PM   #22
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
I just have the Product Key (25 numeric and letters) only. How do I have the registration code? When I type the installation code, the letter just blink and disappear, it's not let me type full code!!!
Hi Brian,

The 25-character Product Key is only for use when installing the program; as Geoff has indicated, the Registration Wizard will give you the numbers you need. As it happens, the Registration Code is the same as the first two blocks from the Product Key, but with a forward slash instead of a hyphen. (e.g. HPX4U/SER01 for a PK beginning HPX4U-SER01-....). The Installation Number is a ten-digit number (i.e. no letters).

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 15th October 2010, 02:16 PM   #23
Sarah W
Expert

Sarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I just bought a Photo Plus x4 at Office Depot. When I start to install by disk, it's show the window to select: Photo Plus x4 or Panorama Plus. After click Photo Plus x4 it's show a window text:" Setup has encountered a problem and needs to close. Error code: 13"
Hi Brian,

This is a known issue, I'm afraid that the stock replicated for Office Depot is faulty. Please contact Technical Support and report your problem, they will be able to help.

Apologies for the inconvenience.
Old 16th October 2010, 12:34 AM   #24
Brian Nguyen

Brian Nguyen is on a distinguished road

Thankyou all for reply,
I have been exchange another package to hope the problem could be solve, but the new box with the original seal still happening the same way.
I am trying the two Method 1 and 2, it's still not working and I could not find the serif file with extension .msi? in open CD Photo Plus x4
Thanks again for support.
Brian
Old 16th October 2010, 03:05 AM   #25
Geoff Blanthorn
Expert

Geoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Thankyou all for reply,
I have been exchange another package to hope the problem could be solve, but the new box with the original seal still happening the same way.
I am trying the two Method 1 and 2, it's still not working and I could not find the serif file with extension .msi? in open CD Photo Plus x4
Thanks again for support.
Brian
Brian,

Have you contacted Technical Support as Sarah suggested? See http://support.serif.com/

I imagine all Office Depot's stock will be the same.

Geoff
Old 16th October 2010, 10:56 PM   #26
SteveBon

SteveBon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidp View Post
Hi Robert,

Just out of interest, I would like to know if you have now managed now to get PhP X2 to run with Windows 7. It’s not actually certified to run with that operating system.

Regards

David.
David - I have MoviePlus X3, PagePlus X3, and PhotoPlus X2 all running on Windows 7 without any probs at all.
The only problem I ever encountered was with a m/c running Vista 64-bit.NOTHING would work on that.
Old 18th October 2010, 08:36 AM   #27
Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Limited

Patrick Connor has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Connor has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Connor has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Connor has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Connor has a reputation beyond repute

Brian,

This is a known issue, I'm afraid that the stock replicated for Office Depot is faulty. Please contact Technical Support and report your problem, they will be able to help. Their approach is to overnight deliver a replacement to your door. The faulty stock has been withdrawn and so any stock that is in the store, after next week, will be all new stock and work correctly.

Apologies for the inconvenience.
Old 18th October 2010, 09:33 AM   #28
RichardS
Master

RichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Connor View Post
This is a known issue, I'm afraid that the stock replicated for Office Depot is faulty. Please contact Technical Support and report your problem, they will be able to help. Their approach is to overnight deliver a replacement to your door. The faulty stock has been withdrawn and so any stock that is in the store, after next week, will be all new stock and work correctly.
I do hope that Office Depot has some way of notifying its customers and offering replacements.
32-bit Win10 Pro 14946, AMD64 3200+, 2GB RAM, Bodged ATI Video & AC97 Audio drivers.
64-bit (3GB) & 32-bit (2GB) Win10 Pro 16170, on VirtualBox, 2 CPU cores, 128MB video
Old 18th October 2010, 09:42 AM   #29
Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Limited

Patrick Connor has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Connor has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Connor has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Connor has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Connor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
I do hope that Office Depot has some way of notifying its customers and offering replacements.
Really? the software does not install, you would think the customers would notice without needing notifying....
Old 18th October 2010, 10:04 AM   #30
RichardS
Master

RichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Connor View Post
Really? the software does not install, you would think the customers would notice without needing notifying....
Unfortunately, some folk will simply decide that "Serif is rubbish," bin the software and "put it down to experience." Then, they may well spread the word to their friends and across web forums.

Decades ago, a highly-paid consultant lectured us about a great new IT system he'd supplied to publishers & bookshops, and how it met all their needs...

... a few weeks later, newspapers reported that a publisher was unable to recall a dodgy book from these same bookshops... because of the IT system.
32-bit Win10 Pro 14946, AMD64 3200+, 2GB RAM, Bodged ATI Video & AC97 Audio drivers.
64-bit (3GB) & 32-bit (2GB) Win10 Pro 16170, on VirtualBox, 2 CPU cores, 128MB video
Old 24th February 2011, 11:53 PM   #31
gmarsh

gmarsh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Couldridge View Post
Since the discs have worked before, and it's affecting several software packages indiscriminately, I think we can assume the discs, and the packages on the discs, are good.

Theoretically, then, this lands the problem with Windows Installer.

If this were an earlier version of Windows I'd go ahead and suggest installing the latest available version of Windows Installer (4.5), but unfortunately, Windows 7 uses Windows Installer 5, and you can't yet get a download of it, to my knowledge...

You could try the following, which will unregister Windows Installer on the system, and then register again, and may iron out kinks with it. No guarantees though.

1. Hold the "Windows key" (usually between CTRL and ALT) and press "R".
2. In the "Run" window that appears, type the following:

msiexec /unregister

3. Click "OK".
4. If the command is successful, you won't get any feedback. If it fails it should provide an error of some sort.
5. Hold the "Windows key" (usually between CTRL and ALT) and press "R".
6. In the "Run" window that appears, type the following:

msiexec /regserver

7. Click "OK".
8. Once again, if successful, there will be no feedback.

Following the steps, I would suggest rebooting, so that Windows can take stock of the newly registered service, and then trying the installations again.
I see this post over and over again but I do not see anything that documents the reason behind it. Serif seems to have a problem with a number of the packages .. some work, some don't. Though the install could be a problem what you might want to ask is if other programs can install cleanly first. If that is the case then it is unlikely the windows installer itself but how it is being used.

In my case I have downloaded 3 packages, 1 works cleanly and 2 fail with the same symptoms .. files are unpacked and then when the installer is launched it fails with a file not found error.

I have checked the Kb and find nothing refering to these issues .. maybe it would save everyone some effort if all these suggestions are put into a single KB
Old 23rd March 2011, 07:28 PM   #32
Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Limited

Sorry to dig up this old thread.
If anyone finds this thread with a search, the cause and a work around are suggested in this thread
http://forums.serif.com/showthread.php?t=88697
Thank you