Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Photos and Movies > MoviePlus

Notices

MoviePlus Questions about using MoviePlus for video editing

Old 24th May 2010, 03:01 PM   #1
needhelpdesparately

needhelpdesparately is on a distinguished road
Default Unable to EXPORT to any source. please help

good morning,

I have scoured this forum for help on this topic and while i see many people unable to write a cd or dvd, i can't even make it to the writing stage, as my process gets bogged down and stalls in the export stage. I sent a ticket to customer support but it seems there are some smart experts on this forum whom I thought might be able to help me faster or better. Below is a copy of what I sent to customer support and it explains my issue. I would greatly appreciate any help. This movie is so important..my brother recently was killed in a motorcycle accident and I have used X3 to put together old video clips and pictures of him that i want to send to my family members to remember him by. I have completed a great little movie but i just can't get it to export and write to a cd or dvd. thanks for any help. My email to customer service:

Hi. I am desparate need of help with exporting my movie. No matter what destination I try to export to, either dvd, vcd, file folder, or disc image, it stalls about half way through the process and won't go any further. I don't get any error messages and it does not crash, but the green status bar that shows the status of the exporting process just starts to advance slower and slower and eventually stops completely. It will not finish the exporting stage even if i leave it for 8 hours overnight. It never reaches the rendering or writing stage...it won't get thru the exporting. My movie is only 45 minutes long and has no big special effects and my PC is brand new with top of the line performance.

The really odd part is that I successfully exported it once, after i put together all my video clips. i made a vcd and it played fine. then i added a slideshow of about 50 photos to the movie and now i can't export it. I have tried all the following:

-reduced the write speed to the lowest setting
-reduced the rendering quality to the lowest draft setting
-reduced the preview window to the minimum.
- i even removed the photos and transitions to return to my original format that i was able to export but now i cannot no matter what i try. i have rebooted the computer many times and tried every export destination and setting.

Again, i'm not crashing or getting any error messages...it just slows down and eventually bogs down in the export process and won't go any further and won't get to the rendering or writing stage. As i said, it worked once, although it took about 3 hours to write the vcd, but now it won't work.

When i bought this x3 6 weeks ago on amazon.com, it said it was for windows vista and i have windows 7. it says 'for vista' on the box. the program seemed to work fine on my wind. 7 however and i was able to make the movie. do you think the fact that i have windows 7 could be a cause for this problem? what about the fact that it worked once but now i can't get it to export? it's a small movie..only 45 minutes total with video and pictures. Now i see on amazon x3 advertised and it says it's for windows 7. my question is, if you think this is the problem, will buying another version of x3 make a difference for me, even though i just bought this one 6 weeks ago? the one i have does say vista on teh box and i want to know if i buy the new one that says it's for windows 7, will that really be a different software and make a difference or will i be getting the same thing.

please let me know any suggestions for getting this to export. i would like to make a vcd (i was never able to make a dvd...it wouldn't play on my tv) and i don't care if i have to write it to a file or disc image first as long as i can eventually get it onto a writeable cd. as i said, i've lowered the write speed and render quality but no luck. sometimes it makes it to about 3/4 of the way thru the exporting but still eventually gets stuck. please help. thanks

tim
Old 24th May 2010, 05:00 PM   #2
RichardS
Master

RichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant future
Default Re: Unable to EXPORT to any source. please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by needhelpdesparately View Post
good morning,

I have scoured this forum for help on this topic and while i see many people unable to write a cd or dvd, i can't even make it to the writing stage, as my process gets bogged down and stalls in the export stage. I sent a ticket to customer support but it seems there are some smart experts on this forum whom I thought might be able to help me faster or better. Below is a copy of what I sent to customer support and it explains my issue. I would greatly appreciate any help. This movie is so important..my brother recently was killed in a motorcycle accident and I have used X3 to put together old video clips and pictures of him that i want to send to my family members to remember him by. I have completed a great little movie but i just can't get it to export and write to a cd or dvd. thanks for any help. My email to customer service:

Hi. I am desparate need of help with exporting my movie. No matter what destination I try to export to, either dvd, vcd, file folder, or disc image, it stalls about half way through the process and won't go any further. I don't get any error messages and it does not crash, but the green status bar that shows the status of the exporting process just starts to advance slower and slower and eventually stops completely. It will not finish the exporting stage even if i leave it for 8 hours overnight. It never reaches the rendering or writing stage...it won't get thru the exporting. My movie is only 45 minutes long and has no big special effects and my PC is brand new with top of the line performance.

The really odd part is that I successfully exported it once, after i put together all my video clips. i made a vcd and it played fine. then i added a slideshow of about 50 photos to the movie and now i can't export it. I have tried all the following:

-reduced the write speed to the lowest setting
-reduced the rendering quality to the lowest draft setting
-reduced the preview window to the minimum.
- i even removed the photos and transitions to return to my original format that i was able to export but now i cannot no matter what i try. i have rebooted the computer many times and tried every export destination and setting.

Again, i'm not crashing or getting any error messages...it just slows down and eventually bogs down in the export process and won't go any further and won't get to the rendering or writing stage. As i said, it worked once, although it took about 3 hours to write the vcd, but now it won't work.

When i bought this x3 6 weeks ago on amazon.com, it said it was for windows vista and i have windows 7. it says 'for vista' on the box. the program seemed to work fine on my wind. 7 however and i was able to make the movie. do you think the fact that i have windows 7 could be a cause for this problem? what about the fact that it worked once but now i can't get it to export? it's a small movie..only 45 minutes total with video and pictures. Now i see on amazon x3 advertised and it says it's for windows 7. my question is, if you think this is the problem, will buying another version of x3 make a difference for me, even though i just bought this one 6 weeks ago? the one i have does say vista on teh box and i want to know if i buy the new one that says it's for windows 7, will that really be a different software and make a difference or will i be getting the same thing.

please let me know any suggestions for getting this to export. i would like to make a vcd (i was never able to make a dvd...it wouldn't play on my tv) and i don't care if i have to write it to a file or disc image first as long as i can eventually get it onto a writeable cd. as i said, i've lowered the write speed and render quality but no luck. sometimes it makes it to about 3/4 of the way thru the exporting but still eventually gets stuck. please help. thanks

tim
Welcome to the forum. Very sorry to hear about your brother.

1. There is only one version of Movieplus x3. It is supposed to be compatible with WinXP, Vista and Windows 7. However, some people report problems with running various programs on 64-bit Windows 7. Although people are using MvPx3 successfully on 64-bit Win 7.

2. Make sure that you have installed Serif's latest MvPx3 update, by allowing the program to check for updates or by downloading from this page:
http://www.serif.com/downloads.asp

3. If you are new to MvPx3, I suggest that you start by making a short simple movie - just to ensure that everything is working OK.

4. It is possible that your PC's security software is blocking something from working properly.
Old 25th May 2010, 12:00 AM   #3
ericlnz

ericlnz is just really niceericlnz is just really nice

Possibly it is encountering a clip or image that causes export problems. Unfortunately when this happens MVP doesn't normally give an error message, at least not in my experience.

Try exporting sections to file using selection start and end flags to try and narrow down the part that is causing the problem. When you find the clip causing the problem have a look at its properties. Have you by chance adjusted any advanced properties of video clips such as deinterlacing method?

Eric
Old 25th May 2010, 08:29 PM   #4
needhelpdesparately

Hi, i haven't done any of those advanced features you mentioned. I really don't think it's any clip. the export process stalls at different points in the process each time. yesterday, after trying the same thing over and over, for some reason, it finally worked and i was able to burn and write one VCD only. i still cannot successfully export to a dvd, which is supposed to have better quality and resolution.
At least with the one vcd, i thought i at least had a backup plan and that i could copy it onto my hard drive and then make copies, but that isn't working. I'm not clear on the format or requirements of a vcd, but when i tried to copy onto another writeable cd, my tv dvd player won't recognize it. so now i'm back to square two as i have one low resolution copy on vcd but need additional copies. any ideas how to copy a vcd onto another cd succesfully? i'd like to be able to make a DVD and see how the quality is but it just won't complete the export, no matter what render quality and what write speed i try.
Old 26th May 2010, 12:15 AM   #5
ericlnz

Your problem brings back memories. Back in MVP5 days and my old Win XP machine I had a similar problem. MVP appeared to go to sleep during the export. I eventually solved the problem by opening up Task Manager and altering MVP's process priority from Normal to Above Normal or High. Instantly MVP would wake up and jump into action, roaring through the remainder of the export.

It may be unrelated but possibly something you could try.

Eric
Old 26th May 2010, 09:31 AM   #6
Greyfox
Expert

Greyfox is well on the road to greatness

Quote:
it's a small movie..only 45 minutes total with video and pictures.
Tim,
It might help if you could provide some more specific details about what you are actually doing.

I assume that when you try to export to a VCD you are choosing either VCD PAL (352x288 at 25fps 4:3 ratio) or VCD NTSC (352 x 240 at 29.970 fps 4:3 ratio) as these are the standard VCD output options for MvPX3. Perhaps you could confirm this.

How successful this will be might well depend on what format your source material is. For instance are the movie clips you have 720 x 576 (PAL), 720 x 480 (NTSC), or are they HD video. What format are they. MvPX3's properties->Media properties should tell you, or you could use either Gspot or MediaInfo (both free) to check them.

Are the source clips 4:3 ratio, or 16:9 widescreen. In the case of your photos, if they are high resolution digital shots, converting them down to the VCD formats above may result in fairly poor quality.

You mentioned that you can't export to DVD which would frankly be my choice for something of this nature. Can you be more specific as to why you aren't able to use a DVD?

If by chance you have your source material on an external USB hard drive, I would try copying it onto an internal hard drive on the PC and processing it from there.

Finally, is your Windows 7 the 64 bit or 32 bit version.
Intel Core i7-2600 3.4GHz, 8GB Ram, GeForce GTX-560 (1GB), Windows 7 Pro 64 bit with VM XP-Mode. Canon 8400F scanner, Brother HL-2270DW Mono Laser, Brother MFC-J825DW Multifunction, Sony SLT-A57 and Canon IXUS-110IS cameras, Sony DCR-HC96E Video Camera. PagePlus 9,X4,X5,X6,X7, MoviePlus X3,X5,X6 PhotoPlus X3,X4,X5,X6 DrawPlus X4,X5,X6
Old 26th May 2010, 06:01 PM   #7
needhelpdesparately

Hi, I'll try to answer those the best i can.
first, i chose vcd only because i couldn't get dvd exporting to work and that one time i successfully got it exported to vcd and could watch it on my tv dvd, so that was fine with me. i'd prefer a dvd. when i say it won't work, it's just that when i choose export and choose dvd and put in my writeable dvd in my drive and then choose a write speed (doesn't matter which one i choose) and then hit export, there is a little green status bar that comes up to show the status of the 3 steps; export, render, and write. what happens is the bar slowly goes along and at different points every time, it just slows down and eventually the status bar stops in the export process and stalls permanently. it won't complete the export and never makes it to the render and write phase. it does the same thing whether i try to export to dvd, vcd, disc image or file folder. it just bogs down in the export phase and nver makes it to burning or writing. and it stops at different points every time. i've successfully burned a vcd twice, but in the middle of 50 other failures and i didn't do anything different to get it to work those two times.
-when trying a vcd, i use the ntsc because that's what it chooses at appropriate for me. i'm in the U.S so i think that's what i'm suppose to use?.
-My source video is not HD. they are very basic quality home video tapes from 10-15 years ago. I took them to Memories to Digital store to had them made into digital files that they put onto my hard drive. the photos are also mostly very old snapshots that were scanned and then put into my slideshow so i know the quality is poor because of that and I'm fine with that. i wish the video was a little better but like i said, it's old video anyway and it clearly lost some quality when they digitized it.
-my videos were on my external hard drive and imported into movie plus. the movie on my computer (in the serif software) works just fine, except for chopping and stuttering in preview mode.
-finally, i have 64 bit windows 7.
-serif support suggested i delete and then reset the serif software but that din't help.

i just need to get one copy onto a dvd or disc image and then i think i could make the other copies that i need for my family. as i said, i have one copy (not best quality) on vcd but can't get it copied to another. i tried taking it off the vcd and copying onto my hard drive and then copying/burning that onto a new vcd, but my tv dvd player didn't recognize anything on the disk. is there a special way to copy a vcd to make it viewable or are they not copy-able like a dvd is? thanks guys for your help
Old 26th May 2010, 06:09 PM   #8
needhelpdesparately

eric, that sounded good and i thought that was going to be a winner, but it didn't make any difference. thanks though for trying.
Old 27th May 2010, 12:25 AM   #9
Greyfox
Expert

Quote:
My source video is not HD. they are very basic quality home video tapes from 10-15 years ago. I took them to Memories to Digital store to had them made into digital files that they put onto my hard drive.
Can you please download MediaInfo (the latest version is 0.7.33) from http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en/Download
Chose Windows->Official Releases, then 64Bit GUI v0.7.33 without installer. Once you have the file downloaded install it. As my operating system is XP 32 bit, the following is based on that, but should be basically similar for the Win 7 64 bit version.

During the installation of the 32 bit version there is the option of installing Uniblue Registry cleaner. If that option is present in the 64 bit version select "Don't install" then let the rest of the installation proceed.

Start MediaInfo then use the File->Open->File to select and open one of your source video clips. Then select File->Export->Text. Click to put a tick in the Advanced box, either change the desired filename or make a note of what it is (so you can find it), then click on OK.
Can please post the text file here so we can see exactly what Format your converted VHS files are.

Quote:
...my videos were on my external hard drive and imported into movie plus. the movie on my computer (in the serif software) works just fine, except for chopping and stuttering in preview mode.
If your source files are on an external drive of any form, can you please copy the ones you want to include in your production into a new folder on your internal hard drive, then in MvPX3 start a new project and add the video clips into the media pane from the folder on your internal hard drive.

Edit: So we have a known starting point, hold down the Ctrl key on the keyboard when you double click on the MoviePlus X3 desktop icon to start the program. You should get a warning dialogue about resetting your user settings. Click on Yes. This will return all of the program settings to the original (ex factory) defaults.

For the moment, forget about the still photographs and concentrate on the video clips. Drag the first clip you want in your project from the media pane into the timeline (one clip only). Open the Properties pane and scroll down to Media Properties, click on that and make a note of the video and audio properties.

Now, assuming the frame size is 720 x 480 (NTSC) try to export just that one single clip to an Mpeg Video File. I suggest you select NTSC->DVD->DVD NTSC. If that export completes successfully, do a File->Save to save your MvPX3 project file, then add a small number of clips to the timeline, check the properties of each one to make sure they are all exactly the same format, and repeat the test export process. Resave the project file after each completed export. Whilst it might be tempting, don't do any editing or add any transitions etc at this stage.

Hopefully this process will progress to the point where you are achieving a complete export with all of the required video clips in the export file (and we can then look at the next step). If not it may shed some light as to where the problem starts to occur.

In the meantime, finding out exactly what format your video source files are is important.
Intel Core i7-2600 3.4GHz, 8GB Ram, GeForce GTX-560 (1GB), Windows 7 Pro 64 bit with VM XP-Mode. Canon 8400F scanner, Brother HL-2270DW Mono Laser, Brother MFC-J825DW Multifunction, Sony SLT-A57 and Canon IXUS-110IS cameras, Sony DCR-HC96E Video Camera. PagePlus 9,X4,X5,X6,X7, MoviePlus X3,X5,X6 PhotoPlus X3,X4,X5,X6 DrawPlus X4,X5,X6

Last edited by Greyfox; 27th May 2010 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Add in Reset User Settings instruction
Old 5th June 2010, 01:34 PM   #10
Brucie

Brucie is on a distinguished road

I'm getting what seems a similar problem.

I put together a selection of still images and video clips, with mp3, 30 minutes worth in all, then try and export to DVD and it simply hangs there trying to render until I get task manager to kill it.

I've tried removing portions, removing all music, halving the size - none work. It completes exporting, it is in rendering that it loses the will to live.

I have used this software before, successfully, to produce more complex movies that are longer.

I'm using XP Pro, the system has 99 Gb of free disk space, all media is on the main hard drive.

Next step is to create a new and small file and see if it can render that. If not, then I'll delete the software and reload it.

If that doesn't help, I'll return to Corel's Videostudio that I used prior to using MVP and ensure that can write a DVD of the material. If it can, then that's where I'll stay. If that software has a problem then my system is probably at fault.

Meantime, it's a sunny day and I have better things to do.

P.S. MVP 6.0.4.21

Update

Reduce content of project to produce a new small file - freezes at render stage

uninstall/reinstall to earlier version, create new 6 image project - freezes at render stage

open Corel Videostudio 12, create new 6 image project using the same images - works perfectly

So, fault is with MVP or the drivers it uses. At present the solution is to stop using Serif's software.

Next stage to check if any other application has messed up the drivers - only thing added is Radiotracker
Nikon D90, Canon S30IS, Canon Ixus 750, Kodak PlaySport

Last edited by Brucie; 5th June 2010 at 08:56 PM. Reason: update
Old 6th June 2010, 02:37 AM   #11
ericlnz

I'm not 100% sure but I suspect that at the Render stage MVP is constructing the menu page(s). The actual movie rendering is done at the previous export stage. If I'm correct then it's something in your menu design that is causing the problem.

Eric
Old 6th June 2010, 07:28 AM   #12
Brucie

I had tried changing the menu, but on reinstalling and applying the latest patch, back to 6.0.4, I made a 3 frame project, used the default menu, and it still froze the same way.

After aborting the software, I tried again, selecting a different default, same result.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MVP frozen.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	12170

I can confirm the software does write the video file - I just tried and I can save that to an external folder successfully.

So it does look as if the DVD menus are the problem.

When I de-installed the software, I left the Resources on the system.

I'll de-install both and see what happens when I reinstall both from scratch.

Update

De-installed both and installed only MVP. Problem remains, so it is not the Resources installation.

Choices appear to be:
  • use MVP to generate video files and use DVD software that works, from a different supplier to cut DVDs
  • abandon MVP and do the lot using other software that can do the whole job

Last edited by Brucie; 6th June 2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old 6th June 2010, 08:27 AM   #13
ericlnz

How many pages to your menu and are you doing anything fancy like intro video or music over the menu? I vaguely recall a while back that there were problems but assume subsequent patches will have fixed them.

Eric
Old 6th June 2010, 08:41 AM   #14
Brucie

Hi Eric

Quote:
How many pages to your menu
just the first page

Quote:
are you doing anything fancy like intro video or music over the menu
nothing at all - I go into menu designer because you have to, and simply use the default then exit. Just a single page, with the animated window in it.

The key is, I think, that all this worked perfectly until recently - menus with music overlays, etc. Something has changed on my system and that has stopped the Serif software from working. Re-installs don't solve the problem.

Other, similar software works ok, so it is a problem specific to Serif functionality.

I'll remove the last software installed - RadioTracker - just in case, then try a system restore to the last time I recall being successful with MVP, but restores have never helped in the past on my system.

Update

Removed Radiotracker then tried a system restore, but as usual, that simply said no changes had been made since the restore point.

Tried MVP X3 but it failed on DVD write, as before.

On the offchance, I installed MVP 5, but that crashed even more quickly than X3, at the stage of requesting writing out a single image project.

I restarted it and it came up in safe mode and it then successfully wrote a DVD when I re-made the project.

Update 2

I've raised a ticket on this

Last edited by Brucie; 6th June 2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 7th June 2010, 09:40 AM   #15
Greyfox
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucie View Post
...I go into menu designer because you have to....
No you don't!

Can you please try the following and post back what happens.

1. Reboot your computer and when the startup has all completed and you are at the desktop stage, hold down the Ctrl key whilst you double click on the MvPX3 icon to start the program. You should see a dialogue box appear that says "MoviePlus has detected that you are holding down the CTRL key. Do you want to reset your user settings....etc" Click on Yes. This will reset all of the user settings for your MvPX3 to the original "factory default" settings.

2. Click on Start New Project. Don't load a previous started project file.

3. From the Media Pane, Project Tab, click on Add media and add 3 or 4 still .jpg photos to the media pane, then drag these onto the timeline.

4. Now click on Export. A dialogue should appear saying "You have not yet created a disk menu for this project. Do you want to Start Menu designer now"
Click on No

5. In the disk setting dialogue that now appears you will notice that the disk menu box is NOT ticked. Leave it that way.

6. With a blank DVD in the DVD burner (I use DVD-RW's so I can play around without wasting once only burn media) click on Detect. It should open a dialogue showing you your DVD burner drive - be patient it may take a little while - Click on OK.

7. From your screen shot I suspect you are using PAL - if so make sure the PAL button in Video standard is selected. Then click on Finish.

8. In the next dialogue, click on write.

Please post back the results you get from following these specific steps.
Old 7th June 2010, 11:33 AM   #16
Brucie

Quote:
Can you please try the following and post back what happens.
Thanks for your reply!

Well, I followed your instructions, and was able to successfully write a DVD.

I took it one stage further and then went back to Menu Designer, and tried that on the same project.

Success!

I guess reverting to original settings cleared some glitch that had occurred.

Many thanks for your spot-on help!

I have to go out now but as a final check I will try the original project that failed, once again, to ensure that can write a DVD through MVP for that. I can't see any reason why not, but I'll post what happens here when I have done it.
Old 7th June 2010, 02:57 PM   #17
Greyfox
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucie View Post
I guess reverting to original settings cleared some glitch that had occurred.
Brucie,
Thanks for posting back and I'm glad it worked for you.
Unfortunately there is a chance that the "glitch" may exist in the project file you are going to retry.

If it does, at least you now know how to get the program itself back on the rails, but you might have to rebuild the project.
Old 7th June 2010, 05:28 PM   #18
Brucie

Quote:
Unfortunately there is a chance that the "glitch" may exist in the project file you are going to retry.
Correct once more!

Rather than put it all together again, I'm going to make some last edits on the one that fails, then write it once more to a file and let my friend Corel write it to DVD.